Irons go for Gold

• Thread starter Thread starter HammersK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 8K

HammersK

Reaction score

Irons go for Gold.

How different would things be now if I jumped over the tackle? How different would things be now if I was rested like I was supposed to be? Would be in the Euro's wouldn't I ? 24 years old and my career was over just like that, I knew I wouldn't recover, once I heard it tear....

That was the past, this is my present and my future; West Ham United. Grant could not bring the success this club deserved and now it is my turn. Even though I haven’t managed before, I was giving the opportunity to take West Ham to unparalleled levels. I think Sullivan saw the passion I had for the club, and realised what I wanted to bring to the Hammers was something the fans wanted as well. Attractive Football.

Although a well supported club, West Ham have had limited success. They have won the FA Cup on no less than 3 occasions; 1964, 1975 and 1980, along with the Cup Winners Cup in 1965. However these are considered to be West Ham’s only ‘major’ achievements, despite the fans believing the 1966 World Cup win counts as West Ham success.

The closest we have got to winning the league, was in the 1985-1986 season where we finished 3rd, behind only the Merseyside clubs, Everton and Liverpool. Therefore my long term aim has to be: To bring the success this club deserves.

First things first; the Championship.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beginnings

5kgdNrEipldy28ft62OrEfj9wR7AT8qy58VZ2TRQJh07uIjEYTmqxxpPXIhvNarbDTPnP2MWFaT15VmCbcRi4xYOmWUoVxJt0ELAH9EiONGT4z4uYFI

Expectations were high, but nothing less than I expected, after being given a brief overview of the squad from McDonald I was thrust into my first ever press conference.

It's fair to say I was bricking it.

TXQTM6xLyqHIDz27guJnh0zD_hBqJLdadcev2Eyn3oYVCdzLmvC8LbBbC3j0zQQlHvjx8Zaqd483nm4dTg7FI-iuK2pBm3_7tIG9m3T1tSGiYCHN1LI

‘Look at them questioning looks, am I really that out of my depth?’

“You sit here as the new manager of West Ham. Is this your dream job?”
I really am delighted to be hired, and yes it is a dream come true if I’m honest, being able to manage the club I have supported since I was a kid, and the team my family support is an honour, and I am extremely pleased to have been entrusted with this position by Sullivan.

You arrive at the Club as a replacement for Avram Grant, who was unable to bring success to the Boleyn Ground. Do you feel you are the right person to take West Ham to the next level?”
I personally believe I am the right person to take this club to the next level, me and Sullivan have a similar vision for the long term future of the club. We aim to bring something new to this club, a different style of play, and a different aim. In the past West Ham has been called a yo-yo club, this will not be the case anymore. Instead of aiming for survival we are now aiming for success.

“New managers often bring about times of upheaval and some at the club may fear for their jobs. Do you plan on making many changes?”
Any changes I make, will be what I feel to be necessary changes. I have an idea in regards to what changes I think I need to make, however both staff and players will have a chance to prove their worth.

“How would you describe your management style?
I like to be involved as much as time allows me to be, giving the players a way of voicing their concerns when necessary. In terms of tactics, I focus on bringing attacking, fluid football to the fans. It may take a lot of work on the training ground to get the boys up to speed with my tactic, but I’m sure come the start of the season they will be ready.

“What can we expect from you in the Transfer Market?”
As a club which simply cannot compete financially with the big clubs at the moment, I will be looking at predominantly bringing in younger players with a lot of potential and nurturing them to their full ability. Along with possibly bringing in one or two more experienced players on the cheap.

“Recent reports have linked you with Liverpool’s Jonjo Shelvey. What are your thoughts on this story?”
There isn’t much I can really say about the story, I have only just joined the club, however I will say I think he is an extremely talented youngster.

‘The press conference at the Boleyn Ground has now concluded.’

Last edited:
Tactics

In order for me to make a mark, both on West Ham, and the footballing world, I need to create my own tactic. It seems the unique tactics often provide the best entertainment for fans, as well as bringing success to a club for example; Koflok’s ‘Goals Galore’, Raikan’s ‘Might and Magic’ or Devasto’s 4-2-2-2. They all work, theses tactics created by some of the best managers in footballing history, allowed their team to play attractive football and win at the same time, and that is what I wanted to accomplish with West Ham.

I spent weeks upon weeks at the blackboard and the training ground trying to come up with a tactic in which I felt could compete with the best tactics in the world and finally I think I have accomplished it. Here it is -

AvORKa7cCPiwdeFxzzVwg1A3JnCpO4lQYoN4jPBJnCD_5P8C9Ecdhgfe-m5vAnhVHsmmrDAY6_RyCffFfU0_TJSBeGmO2ngNJUYeIjFR2O8T78REjaU

I call it the ASymmetric. (P.S My initials = A.S
:P)

When showing my assistant, he laughed at it, and said it was far too complex for us. However I believe in it, and it’s the tactic I feel will take West Ham to ‘unparalleled’ levels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Season.

A3OsdPE4LAju3ODFOwgWj81rHfnPc5o-OaLNjrcaVHT8Ts5dHxPyQ9NN-aft1DJRCFLXc7My_psBXfw4RF6a0ejMsfycxzirGeQVxDcTaDSJfbzfZyM

Pre-Season went well, the pick of the results being against HSV, and it seems the boys are adjusting to the tactic well. Hopefully we can carry on this good form into the start of the season.

Last edited:
iP_BH63lYM-2jWsVdStR7gztsfRb2RMati9HZl2T4KYfDSEBZYK1EDYmhkYlrDM_GrWhGs_PYWNsZ0dWbsPrH1WWgmtG0HJoE5gTbFkd5vCMpE0b0nk

he_xx1dQgjiwZ8TbGLjiO6FJH59j1xZZeZCGZABDhZ0XCVL6dlwebPQrg4OiGLele1xfYVmpNb5r0Q1YMdNt1sNPiU_F3lM0b6MLyUqUG2ifmWBuBqQ

Jonjo Shelvey

This kid has bags of potential, will be one of my main creative forces this season despite only being 19. Only a loan this season, and will struggle to sign him in the future, as Liverpool really rate him but he does support West Ham so he could sign in the next couple of years if he doesn’t make it into the Liverpool Starting XI​.

Darwin Quintero
Will be the poacher in my ASymmetric tactic. Can see him being a key player for many years to come, a bargain if I do say so myself.

Gregory Cerdan
A fairly experienced centre back, will provide much needed depth at the back.

Ivan Bandalovski
Will be used as one of my wing backs, can play on both the left and right relatively well. We did not have much in terms of wing backs so Ivan will most likely be a starter, although he will need to be monitored in order to see if he can hack it in the Premier League.

Wilfried Zaha
Touted as the next ‘Michael Owen’ you can tell this kid has potential, cost a fair bit but in a few years that price would have doubled and he will be in the England starting XI, really looking forward to working with this kid. He will be in the first team from the off playing on the Right wing as an inside forward.

Lee Cattermole

Was an icon at Sunderland, and yet was sold on the cheap due to other transfers coming in. What a waste. He has premier league experience, and is a great leader. Will need to work on his temperament, but I do think that is what makes him such a great player. Will be in the starting XI, and will play either as an Anchor or in the Central Midfield position.

m7ZIw_uX7KM6RKwHLDx4WUTtQNspJEEKf_CXe3zMQX5iUS7ogkLhJZp3Yz1yDTXS4vzi3NYwME7_huW5sV8Pc4Yo_HJEysAm7DftK4g-odhs6_H3Iyk

Carlton Cole

Has been one of the better players at the club in recent years, but he doesn’t really fit into my formation. He is better played as a Target Man, something which is not used in the ASymmetric system, I was going to keep hold of him for depth, but when a big offer come in from Villa I cashed in.

Winston Reid

Signed Cerdan on a free, and from training sessions, he seemed better suited to my system than Reid so when the offer came in I felt it was best to accept, rather than let him rot in the reserves.

August 2011

I looked at the calender and found out we had 8 games this month, something which I knew would be gruelling on the lads considering the short pre-season we had. I wasn't expecting too much this first month, simply because I was using almost all of my new transfers and I understood the lads needed some time to gel together.

View attachment 252275
'Nolan calls for focus in the opening month.'

Peterborough vs West Ham - Championship

An extremely boring game to begin the season with, our goal was sloppy but to give away a penalty so late in the game really hurt. The only positive I can take is that we was away from home, but still, not a great start.

View attachment 252268

Peterborough 1 - 1 West Ham (Grant McCann; Matthew Briggs og)

West Ham vs Gillingham - League Cup Round 1

Overall a better game than the first, was nice to start banging in the goals will hopefully get the confidence flowing despite being a lower league team, was also nice to see Quintero score his first goals in a West Ham shirt.

View attachment 252273

West Ham 4 - 0 Gillingham (Quintero x2, Jonjo Shelvey, Matty Taylor)

West Ham vs Barnsley - Championship

Another Own Goal, our top scorer at the moment, I feel a bit like Man United, a wonder goal from Tonge got me worrying but Quintero came through for us, and scored his first goal in the league.

View attachment 252274

West Ham 2 - 1 Barnsley (Bobby Hassell og, Darwin Quintero; Michael Tonge)

Hull vs West Ham - Championship

Our best performance in the league so far, a game we controlled. Good to see Zaha getting of the mark for the club. Have to ask though, are we ever going to keep a clean sheet in the league?

View attachment 252276

Hull 1 - 3 West Ham (Tamika; Zaha, Noble, Collison)

West Ham vs Southampton - Championship

Conceding our third penalty this month, something we defiantly need to work on however despite this, we controlled the game and come out with a good result.

View attachment 252277

West Ham 3 - 1 Southampton (Quintero x 2, Zaha; Sharp)

West Ham vs Barnsley - League Cup Round 2

Our second clean sheet in the League Cup and yet we still haven't got one in the League, really need to have a word with Green and the defence, although the fact we are given away penalties really isn't helping. Anyway, the scoreline was good, but the way we played was even better.

View attachment 252278

West Ham 4 - 0 Barnsley (Tomkins, Quintero x2, Zaha)

Birmingham vs West Ham - Championship

The month was going better than I had anticipated and then this happens, a farce of a result and what makes matters worse is we didn't even deserve to win, I just hope it doesn't effect the lads confidence too much.

View attachment 252281

Birmingham 1 - 0 West Ham (Townsend)

West Ham vs Crystal Palace - Championship

I didn't expect much from this game if I'm honest, I knew the lad's morale was low after the loss vs Birmingham, although I was still annoyed at drawing at home, and so were the fans and they made their opinions heard. Oh and once again, we gave away a penalty, would have earned 4 more points this month if I didn't concede any penalties.

View attachment 252284

West Ham 1 - 1 Crystal Palace (Quintero; Ward)

League Table

Despite having what I consider to be a fairly poor month, we are currently in 4th position, which isn't as bad as it could be. As far as I'm aware the only way is up, the boys will hopefully start to gel in the upcoming weeks, and the results should start coming in.

View attachment 252285

Player of the Month

Darwin Quintero

View attachment 252286

The Colombian as made an instant impact, scoring
8 goals in 8 games this month.​

Last edited:
Nice story mate, got a soft spot for the Hammers. Like the layout and everything, keep it up :)

Cheers mate, will be updating it a lot, currently working night shifts, and have nothing to do bar play football manager :P, name of the story should be changed tomorrow to 'Irons go for Gold.'

Last edited:
September 2011

After 8 games in the first month it was a pleasant surprise to find out we only had five fixtures this month. Reading at home is the biggest game without a doubt, they are on a high and currently sit a top of the table; do I change my tactic for this game? Do I stick to my guns? Decisions.

During the training sessions, I have a word with Green and ask what he thinks is going wrong, he seems to think that there is nothing wrong as such, we have just been unlucky; I hope to god he is right.

View attachment 252296
'Green wonders where his luck has gone.'

Leicester vs West Ham - Championship

There was a 10 day break after the draw vs Crystal Palace, something which I think really did help us in this game. In the training sessions, we worked almost entirely on defending on set pieces and trying to understand the ASymmetric system. Was McDonald right? Is it really too complicated for this club? We started off well, and grabbed an early led, but Leicester managed to equalise before half time, which left a sour taste in my mouth, but I got the boys pumped up, and they came out a different team in the second half.

View attachment 252298

Leicester 1 - 3 West Ham (Gallagher; Quintero x2, Nolan)

West Ham vs Reading - Championship

The big game of this month, I think this is the first time I have felt pessimistic going into a game. I didn't let the boys know it, but I really didn't think we had much of a chance, looking at Readings previous games they were scoring for fun, and we couldn't even keep a ****** clean sheet. But I stuck with my tactics, a ballsy move.

However for a change, lady luck was on our side and we was given a controversial penalty in the 5th minute and the game went from there.

View attachment 252300

West Ham 3 - 2 Reading (Noble, Zaha, Collison; Connolly, Fondre)

West Ham vs Southend - League Cup Round 3

Going into this game I was extremely confident, the boys were on a high from beating Reading, and I anticipated an easy victory. I was not to be disappointed, the highlight of the game undoubtedly being a superb hat-trick from Quintero.

View attachment 252303

West Ham 5 - 1 Southend (Quintero x3, Zaha, Collison; Eastwood)

Burnley vs West Ham - Championship

With such a high scoring game vs Southend I expected more of the same, however this wasn't the case. We only scored one goal, and because we are unable of keeping a clean sheet it must have been a draw or loss.

View attachment 252304

The first clean sheet and what a way to get it. When Cattermole gave away the penalty in stoppage time, it was fair to say I was angrier than Gordan Ramsey on a bad day, and then my prayers were answered and Green pulled off a magnificent save. Gaining us an extra two points in the process.

Burnley 0 - 1 West Ham (Quintero)

West Ham vs Leeds - Championship

Lightning couldn't strike twice, could it? But indeed it could, however this time the clean sheet was down to hard work from the defence rather than good goal keeping, Leeds did not have a single shot on target during this game, and we punished them.

View attachment 252305

West Ham 3 - 0 Leeds ( Collison, Noble, Cerdan)

League Table
A great month for us, not dropping a single point, that is more like it, I'm not going to get ahead of myself, but I really think the Championship is ours this season, West Ham usually has to work their way through the Play Offs, but not this year.

View attachment 252306

Player of the Month

Robert Green

View attachment 252307
'After the penalty save'

This time the POTM award was a close run thing
between Collison and Green, but after the penalty
save and his performance against Reading, it had
to go to Mr Green.

Last edited:
Really loving that you've got your own thing going here with a different type of formation. That you're making it work is even better, because I've quickly given up on trying something similar in the past. Glad to see you've gotten a good start, and can hopefully go on a nice cup run.

Great start to the story, I love the layout although I may be a little biased as it's pretty similar to mine XD, I'll be following :)

Yeah took your original layout of the matches, after you decided to change it :P

Journal Entry # 1

View attachment 252507

Post traumatic stress she said. Write down your feelings she said. Stupid psychiatrist.

How can I write down how I feel, I'm a man after all we don't do that, we hide how we are feeling, we try and pretend everything is okay; and yet inside, 'okay' couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe I should stop ignoring the issue, I'm only a manager because of that tackle, that one tackle. SNAP. It was over.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be here at the Hammers, to still be involved in football, but I can't pretend that I don't want to be out there. Grinding out the results myself. Instead I feel almost helpless, my success depends on my squad, not on me.

It's going to take same getting use to.

That injury ruined a lot of things for me didn't it? Not just my playing career, but my life as a whole. I may still have the luxuries but I have no one to share it with. Losing the love of my life hurt like a *****; I still remember her words as she left, "You've changed. You're not the man I thought you was.", and what makes it worse, is that she was right.

I am the shadow of my former self, nothing like the happy go lucky guy I use to be. Why can't I go back?

But maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, maybe I need to make the most of a bad situation, maybe if I fully commit to these sessions with this Psychiatrist, things can change?

Anyway, I need to get to the training ground, how on earth do you end these things...

F##k it.

Wanted to try adding something else to the story, hope it sounds okay, the results for September will be up tonight after the England game, along with Journal Entry # 2. Thanks for reading guys :)

October 2011
100% Win record the last month meant confidence in the camp was high, maybe a little too high? I mean yeah it's all good winning, but I need to make sure the boys are focused. I need to ensure my personal issues don't effect the lads, it's not fair on them.

Sent a few scouts out this month in hope they would find me 'the next big thing', at the moment nothing big has come up, but I will be keeping a close eye on this kid -

View attachment 252535

Really like the look of Niang, a lot of the big clubs are chasing him but not many are willing to take the risk, he is only 16 and will cost more than £5 Million. Can we do a deal? I think it's too early to say, I can't see us making a move just yet, may have to wait until we gain promotion to the Premier League.

Watford vs West Ham - Championship

A tight game, and another clean sheet, slowly turning into one of the best defences in the league. Ravel Morrison looks like he is starting to mature, which is a good sign as he has the potential to become another English Superstar.

View attachment 252536

Watford 0 -1 West Ham (Morrison)

West Ham vs Ipswich - Championship

A game which once again we controlled, the tactic seems to be working. Was nice to see Tomkins score a goal, as a local lad it is always good to see him excelling.

View attachment 252537

West Ham 2 - 0 Ipswich (Collison, Tomkins)

West Ham vs Portsmouth - Championship

We went into this game way too confident, and we was almost punished, deservingly so. Despite their financial issues, Portsmouth pushed us all the way in this game, and really had the nerves going. Tomkins once again scoring, but Kanu rolled back the years and scored a sensational goal. The game quietened, and it seemed as if it was going to end in a draw, however another local lad had other ideas, and scored a screamer from the edge of the box. GET IN!

View attachment 252538

West Ham 2 - 1 Portsmouth (Tomkins, Noble; Kanu)

Cardiff vs West Ham - Championship

I was worried about this game to begin with, after a poor performance against Portsmouth at home, I expected Cardiff to take some points off of us. However, I changed the line up drastically, and allowed certain players to get some much needed rest. The fresh legs used seemed to do the job, with Shelvey picking up the Man of the Match award, and Tomkins scoring once again.

View attachment 252539

Cardiff 0 - 3 West Ham (Collison, Shelvey, Tomkins)

West Ham vs Bristol City - Championship

When playing at home with the ASymmetric system, I am always conifident, I knew the boys could grind out the result. I have begun to realise how important it is to have a squad you can rely on rather then just 13 or 14 individuals, this is highlighted in this game by a superb brace from Matty Taylor, top quality stuff from the lad.

View attachment 252547

West Ham 2 - 0 Bristol City (Taylor x2)

West Ham vs Exeter - League Cup Round 4

A relatively big game, despite it being vs lower league opposition, for that reason I played an almost full strength side, if we are going to have a cup success this season, it will be in the League Cup. Quintero carried on his scoring form in this competition, this brace puts him up to 9 goals in 4 rounds, pretty **** impressive. Although I really want him to score more in the League, only 7 so far, slightly disappointed.

View attachment 252549

West Ham 3 - 0 Exeter (Quintero x2, Tomkins)

League Cup - Quarter Finals
This win set up a game which was sure to be fiercely contested. I am sure the fans will be completely behind the boys. "BIG FAT FRANK!!" is coming to Upton Park.

View attachment 252552

Blackpool vs West Ham - Championship

The last game of an extremely long month, I wasn't sure what I expected from my team, but due to how well our defence had been performing in recent weeks, I felt confident that all we needed to do was nick a goal or two. I kept my defence the same but rested a lot of the other players. The game as I expected was cagey. Luckily Nolan came through like the leader he is and slotted one away in the bottom corner. The game was one Tomkins would want to forget after getting red carded late in the game.

View attachment 252555

Blackpool 0 - 1 West Ham (Nolan)

League Table

After notching up a record 12 straight wins in all competitions, we are sitting pretty in the league and have started to open up a gap at the top of the table. The best thing I take from the table is looking at how much our defence has improved, we now have the least goals conceded, something Green and the rest of the defence can be proud of.

View attachment 252558

Player of the Month

James Tomkins
View attachment 252559
'Me Still? Tomkins questions, even after his red card'

A great month for the young centre back, has
stepped into a pivotal role. Despite his red card
in the last game, his four goals and solid defensive
work, meant he really did earn this POTM award.

Last edited:
Journal Entry # 2

Things are looking up for the first time since my injury, I'm getting along with the lads really well, and socialising for the first time since the incident. It's weird, we are all around the same age, I don't see myself as their boss, I see myself as their friend, although there is no way I will let them know that, need to keep some sort of control over them.

Socialising with them really let me understand what made them tick as people. Anyway enough about football.

For the first time since the incident I spoke to my family. My dad was impressed with everything I had achieved in my short time at the club, and was looking forward to his beloved Chelsea coming face to face with my team. They urged me to speak to Rachel 'the love of my life', but I just can't bring myself to do it, I still don't think I'm that man she deserves, it may take me a while to be that man but I can't give up on her.

I have finally stopped shutting myself off from the world, showing people the real me, not the manager they see in the dugout. I'm not going to pretend everything is fine, and I'm back to normal, because that isn't the case, I have got a long way to go and I know it.

I saw him the other day. Flicked over to Match of the Day, and there he was. Happy. Scored. It's strange, it's like he has no idea what he did.

Maybe this psychiatrist was right, writing down my feelings and stuff, seems to have lifted a weight off my chest, anyway time to get back down to business.

See ya.​

Fantastic stuff mate, you're gonna walk the league and I'm loving the personal spin on it. Keep it up

Back