Coupdhaha

Reaction score
Personally I love the 4-2-2-2. Was my main tactic since FM '11. I think it's a great attacking tactic that uses width and wingers well as well as keeping for a fairly decent defence.

However, I've struggled using it in FM'13. At worse when playing formations such as the 4-2-3-1 you get rippppped apart and at best you win by maybe 1 or 2 goals.

The reason why I think this tactic struggles is that this new version of FM places a strong emphasis on the midfield and using the 4-2-2-2, often times the midfield gets swamped and dominated by the other team. Using the two man midfield I get no control and often times find my midfield isolated and being unable to link up to the strikers.

It's a shame because I enjoy using two strikers, but now it seems I have to at least sacrifice one striker and instead use an AMC.

Has anybody managed to make an attacking 4-2-2-2 work in this game?

If you are going to play 4-2-2-2 you wont dominate games in term of possesion but it can work. This formation works best if you play direct style and counter attack. When I set mine up I based it on a Manchester United team from the 90's. if you play direct and focus your passing down both flanks it means your 2 midfielders are there to support the defence and attack. Not sure how to put up screen shots but something like this:

gk
fb (sup) ld(x) ld(c) fb (sup)

BWM(sup) BBM(sup)

w(sup) w(at)

CF(at) DLF (sup)

Rigid
Counter
Direct style
Quick tempo
Focus passing down both flanks

Mmm yes I suppose that would work though. However I'm not a huge fan of that style and it's not exactly exciting football watching your team being pegged back for 75 minutes. Also I'm hesitant to play a defence-focused tactic knowing how strange this match engine is.

It's a shame because I used to be able to play neat possession football (about 55% possession) football but I guess now it's probably more realistic.

Its the system i have used in lower leagues and it doesnt mean you will sit back and defend. it means the team will look to exploit opportunities left by the opposition. The united side of the early 90'swhich i based this on were arguably one of the best counter attacking teams of all time but would not be described as defensive. You will not come out with high possesion dues to most teams on the game playing with 3 midfielders. using this formation i generate around 2-3 CCC's a game. Very rarely will i play a team that has more shots on goals/CCC's than me