Athe~

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't played FM for a long time (and wasn't planning to) but I got my hands on FM 14 and decided to waste some of my free time on it. While I have managed to create some decent tactics using 4-2-3-1 variants, I've been completely unable to make a traditional 4-4-2 with a big man-little man up top that actually works. My main isssue seems to be defensive, although having **** defenders probably isn't helping my cause. My attempts at playing hoofball with a big man up top haven't been too successful, either, unless that big man was a good all-round player.

Anyways, is there any other old-fashioned virtual manager who has achieved what I have not? a good ole' 4-4-2 or a decent hoofball tactic?

My possession-based tactics seem to work, but I'm not too keen on tiki-taka, I'd very much rather win 1-0 and shut them out.

I think FM14 is the first edition in years were a 442 is actually any good.

Take a look at xPer's Modern Warfare tweaks and Koen's 442 Beast

I actually find more traditional formations don't work for me. I've had more success with unconventional formations.

I think FM14 is the first edition in years were a 442 is actually any good.

Take a look at xPer's Modern Warfare tweaks and Koen's 442 Beast

I've seen them but they require more "technical" strikers up front, I remember playing on FM11 and 12 with a flat 4-4-2 with a TM and a poacher up top and getting decent results, I haven't managed that thus far. I know I may be asking too much considering the current state of affairs in world football, but I can't help loving the old-fashioned big number 9.

Like said above, for what ever reason 442 is probably the most reliable tactic I've used on 14.

Hm, so people are actually succeeding with 4-4-2? How's it doing defensively?

Depends what players and what 442.

i can't remember who made it and I can't find it on here, maybe Sean? Deep 442 counter.

Used it it for a whole heap of different teams, worked really well.

Nezzas 442 is ace. so is Mattattack v1 and LLM 442.

442 is very much alive, I hammered the championship after the first patch with QPR and then won the league cup and had 10th 9th and 6th finishes in prem. not played FM in a while now so not used the latest patch so can't comment on that.