Is Alex's Song passing massively underrated?

Tsakis

Reaction score
Judging not only from what I have saw but also from the stats given in the link below I am sure that Song's passing and mostly Creativity are really underrated...

Statistics show Alex Song has become Arsenal

He often get criticism about some misplaced passes but if you see the vision behind them you can tell that a goal might be created from them...

Not only his assists but also the quality defense-splitting passes between the left cb and left fb for Walcott are really incisive..

I believe that he should have AT LEAST 15 to passing and 16 to creativity and also the try killer balls ppm.. What is your opinion?

he isnt under-rated.

he has just been given more freedom in his play when it comes to passing and movement

Last edited:
I completely agree with you Tsakis, Song's technicality is massively underrated. I believe his passing is at 11-12 which should at least be 15; he spreads the play very well and is the central hub in possession, always winning and recycling the ball between Arteta and Ramsey with ease. His creativity far exceeds Arteta's sideway passing and to think Arteta has creativity of 17. I would put Song's creativity at 15 as well.

To remain balanced in my praise though, Arsenal do play three in midfield and more often than not the opposition have to mark Arteta/Ramsey (the two forward CM's) at the expense of not marking Song. That allows Song way more time and space to pick out a pass and execute it. Take a look at his chipped assists to van Persie against Everton and Liverpool; the two CM's in front of Song are closed down initially which allows Song just enough time to make the final ball.

Regardless, the technicality Song beholds is sensational for a CDM and to think he was originally a CB. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to improve into the complete midfield package and a world class midfielder at that. You can call me disillusioned but his progress speaks for itself, three years ago, no one believed he would ever cut it at the top level but now he is and not only is he a terrific defender but now he has the technicality to match. Who's know's how far he will go.