Is "El Clasico" over-rated?

Not overrated. Also bear in mind, that both teams, are basically 75% of the World Cup Champion, plus they have the 2 best players in the world.

It's not only 2 clubs it's Catalunya vs Madrid. People who don't want to belong to Spain and a club that represents Spain. It's as the old firm or in my country Feyenoord-Ajax. Matches that are always meant to be won no matter if you are 1st or 18th in the league. A game on it's own. You may lose 3 other games, as long as you win this one :)

Pep Guardiola is unbeaten as player and now as coach when playing against Real Madrid. This shows that Barcelona have the grip over Madrid for a while now.

So you reckon Barca went unbeaten from 1990–2001 when Pep played for them. I might be showing my age here but I can tell you he lost a **** of a lot more playing for barca than the 5 matches he has won managing them.

Definatly over-rated, they are the best 2 teams in the league and will always be and so they suld be with the tv revinue they both get. Its unfair on all the other sides in the league and as some of them have/had major debts i.e Valencia and Mallorca come to mind yet the 2 teams who are already financialy wealthy get the bigger chunk of money every season.

Surely makes El Clasico more attractive, no?

Not overrated at all. And to the lad that said the derby has two best players in the world, try four, 3 from Barca and 1 from Madrid.

So you reckon Barca went unbeaten from 1990–2001 when Pep played for them. I might be showing my age here but I can tell you he lost a **** of a lot more playing for barca than the 5 matches he has won managing them.

That is not true at all. As a Coach, yes, 5 wins out of 5 games. As a player, he lost couple of games...

1993, 1995, 96 and 2000 he lost @ Bernabeu

Definatly over-rated, they are the best 2 teams in the league and will always be and so they suld be with the tv revinue they both get. Its unfair on all the other sides in the league and as some of them have/had major debts i.e Valencia and Mallorca come to mind yet the 2 teams who are already financialy wealthy get the bigger chunk of money every season.

Ermm, let me quote this:
A new audit into Barcelona's finances have revealed the club's debt is 442m euros (£369.5m) after a loss of more than 77m euros (£64.36m) last season.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8859257.stm

and about Real:
At the end of the 2009–10 season, the club board of directories stated that Real Madrid had a net debt of €244.6 million, 82.1 million lower than the previous fiscal year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Madrid_C.F.

If not more debt ;) In my country all clubs need to have positive balances and aren't allowed to invest in players before they are making profit. But those clubs keep on spending, spending and spending and get away with it. Champions League is boring for years now. Always the same clubs (in debt)

Last edited:
what a silly post you must be blind or just dont know real football when you see it Barcelona just out classed them in every area they closed them down played one two's then with the killer pass score 5. You need to go and get your eyes tested.

what a silly post you must be blind or just dont know real football when you see it Barcelona just out classed them in every area they closed them down played one two's then with the killer pass score 5. You need to go and get your eyes tested.

Who is that even aimed at dude?

Not overrated at all. And to the lad that said the derby has two best players in the world, try four, 3 from Barca and 1 from Madrid.

Just one from Madrid mate ? What about Casillas ?

That is not true at all. As a Coach, yes, 5 wins out of 5 games. As a player, he lost couple of games...

1993, 1995, 96 and 2000 he lost @ Bernabeu

No mate sorry lost twice in 1991, once in 1992(copa del rey), twice in1993 (super cup), once in 1995, twice in 97, 0nce in 2000 and 01. Thats 10 matches lost while playing

The fact that last years we have seen Barça winning Real Madrid again and again (includng crushing them) doesn't mean that the Clásico is overrated at all.

About the league, we're becoming the same as Scottish Premier League season by season.
Journalists and other people keep saying that "the best league in the world" thing, but it's clear that it's not true at all.

About the league, we're becoming the same as Scottish Premier League season by season.
Journalists and other people keep saying that "the best league in the world" thing, but it's clear that it's not true at all.

Spanish journalists I assume? Never hear that from English journalists.

Real Madrid have always been overpowered by Barcelona, domestic or European. it was Barcelona's style of play who won the world cup for them not real madrid. i am a real madrid fan but barcelona has far more superior. And El Clasico has been a easy scoring match for barca in recent times.

That isn't true at all.

Real Madrid have been the dominant force in Spain for the longest period overall. They have won the most domestic titles, the most 'El Clasico' wins, and they are still record holders for most European Cup/Champions League victories. They're probably the biggest club in the world, even to this day.

Barcelona are currently on top because they have somehow managed to produce a truly incredible set of players from their academy who have been playing football together since they were kids. The Real Madrid team has undergone a transformation recently, and most of them are within their first or second season playing together.

The El Classico is not overated...but there are some derbies that certainly have more spirit. The quality of the game is top shelf but english derbies certainly mean more and have more passion. But if you watched the game, the El Classico is definately not overated although it was one-sided.

Spanish journalists I assume? Never hear that from English journalists.
Yes, by journalist and people I meant here in Spain.

I guess in other countries they don't say so, and I can only agree in that case.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and the El Classico are not overrated...

Spanish football on the whole is very overrated though and if you took those two teams out of la liga then you'd be left with a load of **** teams playing slow dull football - just doesn't do it for me

That isn't true at all.

Real Madrid have been the dominant force in Spain for the longest period overall. They have won the most domestic titles, the most 'El Clasico' wins, and they are still record holders for most European Cup/Champions League victories. They're probably the biggest club in the world, even to this day.

Barcelona are currently on top because they have somehow managed to produce a truly incredible set of players from their academy who have been playing football together since they were kids. The Real Madrid team has undergone a transformation recently, and most of them are within their first or second season playing together.

What I meant was in recent times. The last lethal Madrid team was until Zidane wore that number 5 shirt. After that it has been Barcelona all the way.

Regarding the World Cup- it was Barca's Tika Taka. The team had only Casillas and Ramos from Madrid. Alonso was not technically a Madrid player then.