somedevil

Reaction score
I have a pretty killer long term save going on FM16 and I am wondering if it be worth starting an FM17 save.

I don't care about camera angles or graphics as I play on 2d overhead views. Is there anything else about FM17 that makes it better than 16? I can't seem to find an exhaustive feature list.

After reading the reviews on Steam by people who have put the hours in, I'm avoiding it.

I didn't enjoy 16 at all but I think 17 is miles better, you have just missed the free weekend of it on Steam too

Definitely. Goalkeepers are much better, though still have some annoyingly silly mistakes, but much less than FM16, nowadays it's very much bearable as they're not frequent, unlike FM16 that had me constantly thinking on kicking it away and go back to FM15. Attackers' decision making when in tight angle is improved. They will of course try the stupid shot when they have an easy pass but that happens all the time in reality so it feels like now is much more close to reality. Defences and goalkeepers react to crosses much better that before. Sure, you can still score and concede from crosses, but now it's more about good attacking play or poor defensive positioning than blatant ME having no clue how defence should behave and letting fullbacks and goalkeepers twiddling thumbs until the striker receives the ball or it's past the goal line, respectively. For me FM16 was only better than FM14, second worst FM.
Whether the improvement is worth stopping your save you're enjoying, I don't know how much you're enjoying it.

My FM ranking:

FM12
FM15
FM17
FM11
FM09
FM10
FM05
FM16
FM14

Those not in the list I've not played. I'd say the top three are very tight and tomorrow I might change the order.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Are there any significant changes to the UI?

It's mostly the same. You've got three skins, one with a lot of green to remind of some old versions I guess, which was asked several times plus a white and black. Everything is mostly the same, but better responsiveness. I can't think of anything relevant other that in the post match inbox item you don't have the button to see match confidence or team talk feedback, which is the only thing that it's gone backwards. One more: now you can't choose an image for your manager, you're stuck with the monster created by the 3D thing, but that's of minimal importance, if any.
And new save flow has changed. You're first sent to a quick start menu in which the game guesses the league you'll want and presents you with the teams within it. You have to click on a button to go to some further choices for leagues to activate or disable and to choose database from a drop down top right. I preferred past versions way to do it, but it's not hard to get around those screens. Some buttons are, however, far from the rest of the data. The one to add or remove leagues and move from the quick start I think are bottom right, while the teams to choose are top, with a huge empty space in the middle, which tends to make the eyes to refuse to see the buttons at the bottom the first time.

Last edited: