Is having a "playmaker" in the team necessary?

teammfmjamie

Reaction score
Is having a defined playmaker (advanced, deep lying, roaming) necessary in a team? Or can tactics work perfectly fine with a combination of CM's and DM's? Every tactic I use without a playmaker dont seem to be as effective as ones that I do.

Cheers guys.

I would say that is not necessary but better to grab one. If you try to put a playmaker in a team and play a few games, you can find out that the whole team is moving the ball around the playmaker, which make your movement more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No, of course you don't need any specific role.

A playmaker is like a musical conductor; the individual musicians around him are all skilled and competent in their own right but they rely on the conductor to co-ordinate their efforts in the formation of a single, coherent piece of music.

Without a playmaker, your wingers will still cross the ball and your Deep Lying Forward, Target Man or Complete Forward will help to build up the play with midfielders and full backs provided support. But a good playmaker will see the whole picture and direct the ball to players who are in position to hurt the opposition.