Is it just me or is this game match engine still the worst.

akhilisalad

Reaction score
I've been playing this since the beginning CM days. This match engine is the worst. Almost every game i'm dominating and having 30 shots with like 20 on target and drawing 0-0, losing 1-0 or winning by 1 goal. Strikers just seem to be the worst and then the other team who has had 1 chance goes and scores. Its a joke. I thought they were meant to have sorted out the match engine? it's so unrealistic. I get it happening time and again by every game!

I've been playing this since the beginning CM days. This match engine is the worst. Almost every game i'm dominating and having 30 shots with like 20 on target and drawing 0-0, losing 1-0 or winning by 1 goal. Strikers just seem to be the worst and then the other team who has had 1 chance goes and scores. Its a joke. I thought they were meant to have sorted out the match engine? it's so unrealistic. I get it happening time and again by every game!

You`re right, but nothing we can do about it!
I tried to stop playing, but i came back after a few months, i just accept that is not how i want it to be .

You`re right, but nothing we can do about it!
I tried to stop playing, but i came back after a few months, i just accept that is not how i want it to be .
I also tried to stop playing but failed...

I can totally relate, + I don't even know anymore which tactic to use because I'm not sure if these tactics here on this site work only for public beta or normal version of the game. I have too many 1-0, 2-1 wins, 0-0 draws and 0-1 losses with any kind of tactic, it's frustrating...

I don't necessarily agree.
Yes, there are often loads of shots with bad conversion, but people tend to forget the games where they are the underdog and win, even though it's like 2 to 11 shots on target for their opponent.

There are certainly things that could be improved with the match engine, but I honestly don't think it's that bad.
And although I prefer the previous match engine version to this one (part of it is bias, because some of my tactical approaches worked/felt better back then), it feels a bit more realistic now. And it doesn't even compare to the beta, it's so much better.

That said, the one thing that always winds me up are the few occasions where it just feels scripted.
You know, everyone always moving, passing, running, and then, preferably in big matches (at least those are the ones I remember), you're just getting this highlight where your fullback - for example - has the ball and just stands there, and you think "well, he doesn't usually take this long to decide, and he's not usually that stationary", and you already see it coming. He doesn't really do anything and just lets the opponent take the ball off him. Which of course means the opponent is through on goal.

Apart from those scenes, I don't feel like the ME is as unrealistic or as bad as some people make it out to be. And, I mean, there are still tactics that can make you overperform massively, if that's what you're looking for. I'm talking "I probably shouldn't even be in this league, yet I'm somehow fighting for promotion"

I don't necessarily agree.
Yes, there are often loads of shots with bad conversion, but people tend to forget the games where they are the underdog and win, even though it's like 2 to 11 shots on target for their opponent.
I would agree with this if it didn't happen almost every game.
I have had counter attacking teams, pressing teams and possession based teams, i consistantly have over 30 shots on target but only score 2 while the bots have less than 5 shots and have 2 goals as well.
Happens way to frequently

Apart from those scenes, I don't feel like the ME is as unrealistic or as bad as some people make it out to be. And, I mean, there are still tactics that can make you overperform massively, if that's what you're looking for. I'm talking "I probably shouldn't even be in this league, yet I'm somehow fighting for promotion"

i agree and disagree too. when you a team that dominates, of course, teams will defend and hit you on a counter attack. remember, if you are constantly attacking and creating chances, you are leaving big gaps in defence. THAT being said, it does happen too often. too many games you have 30+ shots and lose 2-0 to a team that has had only 2 shots. in worst cases, ive seen my team lose 2-0 whilst opp had only 1 shot. but for me, if this doesnt happen, you can potentially win every game 4/5-0, so i think the ME needs a change and a different way to work this out. Maybe the user team shouldnt be having 30 shots a game

But also, its frustrated you build a certain playing style but the the ME does its own thing which makes it pointless...you can play tiki taka and want your full backs to do low crosses from byline...but wide players on this ME love to shoot from crazy places, they don't like cross when theres a clear opportunity to do so. and STs miss way too many chances, i mean, whats the point in having Finishing, Technique, Composure and Decisions if the ME makes your strikers miss the target or shoot straight at the keeper

But also, its frustrated you build a certain playing style but the the ME does its own thing which makes it pointless...you can play tiki taka and want your full backs to do low crosses from byline...but wide players on this ME love to shoot from crazy places, they don't like cross when theres a clear opportunity to do so. and STs miss way too many chances, i mean, whats the point in having Finishing, Technique, Composure and Decisions if the ME makes your strikers miss the target or shoot straight at the keeper

I agree and disagree on this one.
The match engine kinda does its own thing at times, and that can be frustrating. I create tactics as well and test them myself, and while I feel like you can see a difference, it's true that the match engine does it's own thing and makes everything less distinct than it should be. Also, lots of approaches just don't work well, for me not at last.
(On that note: Why do we have "Get further forward" as instruction but not "stay back" or "drop back" (while attacking)? Yes, we do have "Hold position", but that's a different thing, really.)
I disagree on the part with wide players loving to shoot from crazy places. This was a huge, huge issue for me in the beta and the early stages of the game, but I feel like it doesn't really happen anymore. Might have to do with the fact that I usually set my wide players to "Shoot less often", but I feel like this was fixed very well with the ME update.
Generally, I use "Shoot less often" A LOT. Even on my strikers. I feel like this causes them to not pepper the goal every time the opportunity arises but rather evaluate whether this is actually a good opportunity to go for goal or whether there is a pass. The effect is less than anticipated and it basically doesn't show in their scoring numbers, but I feel like it's slightly beneficial to a lot of my tactics.

I agree and disagree on this one.
The match engine kinda does its own thing at times, and that can be frustrating. I create tactics as well and test them myself, and while I feel like you can see a difference, it's true that the match engine does it's own thing and makes everything less distinct than it should be. Also, lots of approaches just don't work well, for me not at last.
(On that note: Why do we have "Get further forward" as instruction but not "stay back" or "drop back" (while attacking)? Yes, we do have "Hold position", but that's a different thing, really.)
I disagree on the part with wide players loving to shoot from crazy places. This was a huge, huge issue for me in the beta and the early stages of the game, but I feel like it doesn't really happen anymore. Might have to do with the fact that I usually set my wide players to "Shoot less often", but I feel like this was fixed very well with the ME update.
Generally, I use "Shoot less often" A LOT. Even on my strikers. I feel like this causes them to not pepper the goal every time the opportunity arises but rather evaluate whether this is actually a good opportunity to go for goal or whether there is a pass. The effect is less than anticipated and it basically doesn't show in their scoring numbers, but I feel like it's slightly beneficial to a lot of my tactics.

I still have plenty of incidents where wide players shoot from crazy places. Maybe not from the byline like the old ME, but they’re still popping shots from 25-35 yards out, though they have better options. Of course, people can say players decisions may be low, but in real life, it’s still very rare for your full back to 5 shots a game. I feel shoot less does help make better decisions.

times, you just want individuals with clear instructions but everything is tied with tactics and that’s annoying. So like you said with full backs, you want your FB to stay back but no option doing that unless you use no nonsense full back. But even if you use that with attacking mentality then they’ll still attack, but you can’t just tell that one person to stay whilst everyone else attacks.

they shouldnt allow you to use some roles, or at least, tell you it won’t work as planned. Example, Anchor Man won’t do a Anchor Mans job if you are using counter press and counter in transition. But what if you want your Anchor to sit at all costs

I partly agree. I think the ME have gotten better since they patched it, the one-on-one-problem and players shooting from bad angles have been kinda fixed, but I still think it's deeply flawed. Like you say, it doesn't really matter what tactic you use, I dominate matches with 20-3 and 70-30% and still lose 0-1. While it's natural that happens from time to time, it's frustrating when it happens every other game.

Two things I've noticed: indirect free-kicks is ridiculous. I concede at least one goal from indirect free-kicks every game, even if the opposite team only have like 4 freekicks during the whole game. I've tried overpacking my defence with tall players with good marking, practicing defensive free-kicks all the time and there still doesn't seem to be any stopping this.

The other thing is that attacking players still have very easy to just run past defenders. I don't knof if it's just because the defenders press really weird and ill-timed all the time or if dribbling is just very OP, but it's really frustrating when you're trying to play possesion-based football.

I've definitely noticed the attackers being able to just sprint past the defenders at times, that's a thing.

As for the indirect free-kicks, I haven't really noticed that, I'll pay attention to it. That said, it would probably have to be free-kicks played to the assisting players or someone before that in the chain, because looking at my analysis, I barely have conceded any free-kick assists.