Is it worth managing the national team?

MillerJA9

Reaction score
I have heard how managing the country of the domestic team you're managing is worth doing so to observe and snap up youth prospects... In my case I am Coventry manager and after back to back promotions finished 5th in the Prem so perhaps I'd be in with a shot of getting the job. (If not now, perhaps in the future)

Simple question, is it worth doing?

Depends, really.

In your situation it probably would be beneficial. Giving debuts to young, promising players will put you in their favoured personnel list. Thus increasing your chances of signing them in the future. Additionally, those who score for you will also increase their affection for you, with similar results.

Otherwise I've found it to be more of a reputation booster. If you're going manage a national team, manage one that has a solid chance of winning competitions, otherwise it can be an unnecessary distraction. The time inbetween matches is very long, and tactical familiarity takes a lot longer to develop as a result.

So yes, for you it would probably be a good idea and worthwhile. Particularly if you win the World Cup/European Championships.

in 13, i've managed United and the England NT.

As it was only in the 3rd season, and i had the squad defined, no trouble seem to appear. The problem is that when you have to search for players to put them in the 23, search for players to put on your team, having more press conferences, more private talking to players and, in NT competitions years, more games to do per season. If managing 60 games per season is a lot, put 6 or 7 more in the middle of the season and 3 or more at the end, and you will find yourself with no time for the small details in both squads.

So, my advise is to do it if you want to do slow seasons and have time for it. If not, it can be stressful