• Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 912
R

rosenrot

Article about, 'Is it wrong to select a deaf embryo?'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7287508.stm

What are your views on the subject?

Being Partially Deaf myself, I think it's absolutely beyond belief what the parents are trying to do, you'd think you'd try and give your child the best possible life you can give it, not selectively create a deaf child, it seems incredibly selfish. pfft.

They are trying to argue that because the government don't want them to do it that deaf people are less than people with good hearing. That's not the point at all, i'm sure most deaf people would want good hearing if they could. By bringing a child who is deaf into the world they are giving them a disadvantage. So many things in the world are made so much easier with hearing, they are just giving their child a massive disadvantage.

Overall I don't feel like deaf people are less than those with good hearing, but i still can't really talk for those who are deaf 100%. tbh it seems like a very small minority who are wanting to do this.

Yeh they're not less than people with good hearing. But surely not being able to hear is something you shouldn't force on a child.

Last edited:
I agree, especially seeing as that child has to live with that disability and had no say in the matter. Imagine someone telling you that your parents made you deaf purposely. :(

"If they do opt for IVF, Mr Lichy and his partner may end up with what they see as a "disabled" child: one that can hear." I hope they never see it like that!

Short and sweet this but i 100% agree with your first post Becky. It's terrible to even suggest this.

That's crazy, like you said you want to give your child the best possible advantage in life. To purposely want a deaf child, altough it can share the same experiences that the parents had, just seems wrong and selfish