sickx

Reaction score
I've seen many tactics in here. most of them either using false 9 or complete forward or maybe advanced forward but I've not seen any tactic that utilise poacher type of forward. is it really a dying role or it's just not suitable for the modern game? anybody knows how to use a poacher in this game?

I've seen many tactics in here. most of them either using false 9 or complete forward or maybe advanced forward but I've not seen any tactic that utilise poacher type of forward. is it really a dying role or it's just not suitable for the modern game? anybody knows how to use a poacher in this game?

dead since fm12

Yeah not really used or even tried poacher for a few years....

Maybe I'm missing a trick! (I use 2 DLPs on support)

Poacher is not dead at all, it's just hard to find players for poacher-friendly tactics. The footballers in the database mimic real life and represent the skillset that fits current tactical trends. Ie, you'd probably want to support your poacher with out-and-out wingers, but how many of those even exist nowadays?

You can absolutely make it work, it's just not worth the effort when there's other tactics working just as good and hundreds of compatible players readily available.

I use them all the time. Get a good poacher like Defoe & stick a good support striker like Davy Klassen behind him. It works I assure you.

if play poacher in tactics, do you guys pair him with another forward, or how?

if it is, what role do you set for another forward?

if no, how to setup?

Poacher is not dead at all, it's just hard to find players for poacher-friendly tactics. The footballers in the database mimic real life and represent the skillset that fits current tactical trends. Ie, you'd probably want to support your poacher with out-and-out wingers, but how many of those even exist nowadays?

You can absolutely make it work, it's just not worth the effort when there's other tactics working just as good and hundreds of compatible players readily available.

I just feel it's too bad because there are some good poachers in the game like Defoe, Drmic and Hernandez but couldn't really utilize them to make it work. Even I, myself, couldn't make full use of Drmic, which he end up playing on the left wing as an IF.

Zinedine

like Jimboola has said, the traditional poacher works in pair with another striker. I've tried false 9 to try and modernized the role but it didn't work so far. and don't forget, when you use two up top, you tend to lose the midfield battle unless the other striker is really hardworking type like Sanchez who has 19 workrate and teamwork.

I won premiership as sunderland in first season with Defoe playing poacher in 3 5 2 formation.

Entire season is on You tube so you can see how poacher is strong if you have that type of player.

I like to play with 2 strikers and without wingers.

Wingers are for amaters.

Last edited:
I play a 4-2-3-1, with IF's and a Poacher, been working for me for years except I changed in FM16 to IF's instead of Wingers.