mikeyboyj

Reaction score
Hi all

I've played many versions of FM but this is the first I have played for a few years. I am trying to find a good tactic (in Championship at the moment) and am earing towards 4-4-2 or possibly 4-3-3.

My question is that I have always gone with a symetrical formation in terms of player roles. For example either play wingers or wide midfielders, not one of each. Also with full backs I either will set both to attacking or neither.

Have people had good experiences playing with 1 winger and 1 wide player in a different role? Or is it always better to have symetry within your formation/tactics?

Also any advice on getting out of the Championship would be great

Thanks

Yes it works. I play Villa using an inside forward on the left and a winger on the right. Just make sure you adapt your tactic to your changes. For instance I changed my left back to wing back - attack to add the needed width to the left.

separate roles for wingers is extremely common. I actually wouldn't even consider that being asymmetrical although the position they hold on the field may differ slightly.

Occasionally I'll play one fullback as support or attack and the other to defend, depending on my opponent (if he has a dangerous right winger, I'll put my LB to defend)

What I would consider asymmetrical would be putting one player as AML and another as MR, that would a more drastic change.

Symmetry sucks, it's not necessary at all really.

I play my players to their strengths and if that means they are in different roles or if ones an AML and the other and MR then so be it, doesn't seem to impact the squad negatively at all.

Hey dood chek out my sig

But yeah, it works. As Joel said, an inside forward on one flank with a winger on the other allows you to both add width and an extra player through the middle.

i had an arsenal save in fm 2010 and without cheating i won the league many times playing with a 4-4-2 with 2 centre mids, a left winger and an Attacking midfielder (i.e no right midfielder)

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

also with barca i play abidal as a full back (defend) and dani alves as a wing back (attack) in the full back position

Asymmetrical tactic is certainly working. I have recently created one based on the tactic used by Sir Alex in the match against Aston Villa where you will see Nani is more a winger at the right while Giggs, who seems to be playing at the left, constantly staying at the centre and drifting out wide occasionally.

While Nani is moving forward, O'Shea who is the right back, playing defensively and has less to none of attacking role while Evra who is at the other side, constantly booming forwards down the flanks to act as the passing option out wide if Giggs is not there.

I have uploaded the tactic here but it is yet to be approved by the admin. Look for a downloadable tactic called "Man utd tactic (based on the tactic against Aston Villa)" maybe today or tomorrow and you can find for more details about the tactic. :)

On this subject, I have recently started a game with Schalke. They have plenty good/decent centre mids and right wingers, but no left wingers. So would a tactic playing 4 at the back, 3 centre/def mids, 1 right winger/inside forward and 2 strikers be effective?
I am thinking similar to the Utd vs. Villa tactic, where the LWB will provide the width on the left, and have a DM covering for him, whilst the RB will be more defensive minded.

On this subject, I have recently started a game with Schalke. They have plenty good/decent centre mids and right wingers, but no left wingers. So would a tactic playing 4 at the back, 3 centre/def mids, 1 right winger/inside forward and 2 strikers be effective?
I am thinking similar to the Utd vs. Villa tactic, where the LWB will provide the width on the left, and have a DM covering for him, whilst the RB will be more defensive minded.

Sure, that COULD work. It'd need a lot of tweaking not to be unbalanced though.

If you can make your left-sided striker drop off into the space where a winger normally would be, it might work even better.

Sure, that COULD work. It'd need a lot of tweaking not to be unbalanced though.

If you can make your left-sided striker drop off into the space where a winger normally would be, it might work even better.

I was considering that, seeing as Raul would most likely be my left-sided striker, playing as a deep-lying forward.