Is the Copa Libertadores playable in FM2011?

Reaction score
I just wanted to know. If it is, then I'll probably start a new game with Argentina/Brazil playable.

yes, but it starts in the second half of the season, in the first half you play the Copa Sudamericana
i really recommend you to start a game in Argentina

Do it! I'm doing an Argentina save right now, it's a huge challenge...very tight budgets, lack of player familiarity, and there are no easy teams (well, Olimpo and Quilmes are easy, but the rest are all pretty good). The 19 game seasons are tough too: one or two untimely losses and you're out of the title race. The regens are great though and it's awesome to sell them to some European club for obscene amounts of money.

Do it! I'm doing an Argentina save right now, it's a huge challenge...very tight budgets, lack of player familiarity, and there are no easy teams (well, Olimpo and Quilmes are easy, but the rest are all pretty good). The 19 game seasons are tough too: one or two untimely losses and you're out of the title race. The regens are great though and it's awesome to sell them to some European club for obscene amounts of money.
who are you managing? Independiente?
i was doing a save with Estudiantes, because River is very easy

I did a long term save as Boca a while back, it is interesting and a bit of a challenge as there are always European teams coming in foryour best players. You do get a lot of great regens though which is awesome.

who are you managing? Independiente?
i was doing a save with Estudiantes, because River is very easy

River was easy? It's weird, they have great players, but they struggle so much in real life. They have in my save, too, they're constantly in the relegation zone. Estudiantes would be a good one, although they're probably the best Argentine team. Boca would actually be tricky because they start off way over the wage budget (if I remember correctly).

Yeah I'm Independiente...it's my first FM South America save and my first FM 11 game...but it's been a total disaster! I finished in 12th place in the opening stage and my job is on the line ('very insecure'). I just signed Defederico and Pastore though (it's a long story but I'm playing a zero foreigners database) so hopefully I can figure it out. I'm just not sure where to play them: I'm thinking of playing a 4-1-2-2-1 (DM, two wide mids, to AMC's, and a striker) with the two of them as attacking midfielders. Either that or a 4-4-2 diamond with Pastore as the AMC. I've also toyed with the idea of a 3 man defense, since all the Argentine teams use 2 strikers (maybe even a 3-4-2-1). I really need to figure it out though because I invested a ton of time into this save (the foreign players just sit on the bench without getting mad or being sold, so to make it realistic in January I go and end every single on of their contracts, FMRTE is slow on my comp so it takes forever), so if I get fired after half a season I'd be devastated.

Edit: are you from Argentina btw?

How did you get Pastore to go to Independiente???

I made a 0 foreigners database...all of the leagues have a 0 foreigner rule (it took forever). The problem is that all of the foreign players just sit on the bench, and they are totally happy to do so. None of them get upset at the lack of PT, and the clubs don't try too hard sell them either. It's a total glitch, and I have 11.2.1. So rather than just have them rot on the bench for 4 years until they get citizenship, in mid January I use FMRTE to end all of their contracts (gives the teams time to sell them if they can). I let the players close to obtaining citizenship stay, and unfortunately, just about the entire Argentine national team has Spanish or Italian citizenship :(. Pastore doesn't though and neither does Defederico, so I signed them. I'm trying to get a striker too, thinking about Lisandro Lopez (he might be the best fit if I'm going to use a lone striker but he played for Racing, so probably not), Franco Jara, Ernesto Farias, or Javier Saviola.

But yeah, since this whole thing has taken a ridiculous amount of time (over 100 hours maybe?) and I've only played a half season, I really, really don't want to get fired. Not sure what to do.

But yeah, since this whole thing has taken a ridiculous amount of time (over 100 hours maybe?) and I've only played a half season, I really, really don't want to get fired. Not sure what to do.

You could always just add a new manager at your club if you're fired.

You could always just add a new manager at your club if you're fired.

I'm seriously considering it but it's cheating...I'm thinking about doing a story with this save too. If I get fired I'll probably go to a lower team and hopefully get re-hired at some point. I guess I could start again but then in January I would have to end all of their contracts again...it takes a ridiculous amount of time because FMRTE is super slow on my computer.

River was easy? It's weird, they have great players, but they struggle so much in real life. They have in my save, too, they're constantly in the relegation zone. Estudiantes would be a good one, although they're probably the best Argentine team. Boca would actually be tricky because they start off way over the wage budget (if I remember correctly).

Yeah I'm Independiente...it's my first FM South America save and my first FM 11 game...but it's been a total disaster! I finished in 12th place in the opening stage and my job is on the line ('very insecure'). I just signed Defederico and Pastore though (it's a long story but I'm playing a zero foreigners database) so hopefully I can figure it out. I'm just not sure where to play them: I'm thinking of playing a 4-1-2-2-1 (DM, two wide mids, to AMC's, and a striker) with the two of them as attacking midfielders. Either that or a 4-4-2 diamond with Pastore as the AMC. I've also toyed with the idea of a 3 man defense, since all the Argentine teams use 2 strikers (maybe even a 3-4-2-1). I really need to figure it out though because I invested a ton of time into this save (the foreign players just sit on the bench without getting mad or being sold, so to make it realistic in January I go and end every single on of their contracts, FMRTE is slow on my comp so it takes forever), so if I get fired after half a season I'd be devastated.

Edit: are you from Argentina btw?
yeah, i'm from argentina, i live in La Plata :p

i had a save with river in fm 2010 and i won everything on my first season, so it was boring
i started another save with river in fm 2011, but since i won the first 10 matches, i got bored and left it too
Estudiantes isn't difficult either, but i'm emulating Sabella's tactic, and that makes it a lot more enjoyable. but as soon as i win everything with Estudiantes i'll take over some mid table team in Europe.

isnt using FMRTE a form of cheating? lol

But it's the only way to make the game realistic, it's much better than just letting them sit on the bench for years. It doesn't give any particular advantage to my team, any of the other teams in the game can sign these free agents. It's going to benefit the Brazilians the most. I consider cheating doing something to help out my team in particular, or letting me continue playing despite getting fired.

yeah, i'm from argentina, i live in La Plata :p

i had a save with river in fm 2010 and i won everything on my first season, so it was boring
i started another save with river in fm 2011, but since i won the first 10 matches, i got bored and left it too
Estudiantes isn't difficult either, but i'm emulating Sabella's tactic, and that makes it a lot more enjoyable. but as soon as i win everything with Estudiantes i'll take over some mid table team in Europe.

Cool! I lived in Argentina for like 8 months in 2008 and that's why I'm hincha de Independiente. Some of the first matches of theirs I watched on TV were when we played you guys in the Copa Sudamericana...we were dominating and going to advance and then we had a lapse of concentration and allowed that goal on the set piece right at the end of the game, only to lose in a penalty shootout! You guys ended up going to the final, and in our next game we allowed a last minute goal to Racing. It took us over a year to recover. I actually went to an away game in La Plata (against Estudiantes) and was with a group of people that got robbed at knifepoint...they were probably Gimnasia fans though! :p

Yeah Estudiantes would be easy, although it's always fun to be your local team. Did you ever win the Club World Cup with either of those teams?

And what's the deal with Sabella???? Why did he leave all of the sudden?

Glad to hear about this.

I'm 9 years into a game as manager of Newcastle, I stepped down after 8 years, mainly because I'd built a team that couldn't be beaten - we won every competition we entered in 2018. However, since I resigned, the only job I've had was Italy at the World Cup; I can't buy a job at the moment.

Hence why I started this new game. The other reason is that I have Argentina, USA, Italy, Spain and England loaded in this new save, I only had England and Italy in the previous one.

I've got to say, all these comments have made this more enticing and I'm looking forward to seeing how I go as manager of Independiente.

Glad to hear about this.

I'm 9 years into a game as manager of Newcastle, I stepped down after 8 years, mainly because I'd built a team that couldn't be beaten - we won every competition we entered in 2018. However, since I resigned, the only job I've had was Italy at the World Cup; I can't buy a job at the moment.

Hence why I started this new game. The other reason is that I have Argentina, USA, Italy, Spain and England loaded in this new save, I only had England and Italy in the previous one.

I've got to say, all these comments have made this more enticing and I'm looking forward to seeing how I go as manager of Independiente.

Nice, let me know how it goes. They have some great central defenders: Tuzzio, although 36, is an absolute hero, and can play on the right. Matheu is great too, also can play on the right. Galeano is the game's most promising CB, and Velazquez will become a great player, too. They're pretty stacked at DM/CM too, with Battion and Pellerano, and Godoy is very good too and young. Vittor is on loan and should get good too. I would try getting a striker though. Silvera is the only good finisher in the team, and though in real life he's a prolific goal scorer, I've struggled a lot with him in the game, and someone else who tried Independiente did too. The away games are particularly tough (in real life and in the game too), my away record was horrible.