Is the XBOX 360 worth the money?

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really considering buying an XBOX 360 but the price is very high. I also am going to need the wireless bridge which is going to cost another £55 and then the 12 month scubscription for Live (£33 ish) so I'm looking at paying around £400 just to get started with the console.

Also I want to know how easy it is to play movie files from my pc through my Xbox. Feedback please :)

I'm mainly asking current 360 owners for their opinions but anyone else feel free, i might ignore you though.

100% Yes, worth every penny. XBOX Live is worth paying for too, the games are supported very well. Every game I have played has had a patch available to it. The graphics will be just as good as the PS3's which will cost you an extra £100 when it's out. My only beef with the 360 is it's version of PES6, it's terrible.

As for watching movies on your XBOX I haven't tried, but here is a link that will help a lot.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/pc.htm

If you have a HDTV it looks even sweeter as well. If you can't afford one or you're just cheap like me then no worries, you can use a LCD monitor with a VGA port to play in HD, just buy the adapter from any gaming store or online.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a HDTV, but tbh I'm not too fussed I'm happy to just play on my normal tv :)

and it does sound easy to watch media on XBOX 360 so it's definately sounding good.

But what u said about Pro Evo....How bad is it compared to PS2 version for example because I don't think a console will be worth any sort of money if it doesnt have a good Pro Evo :D

It looks better of course with the updated graphics engine. The problem does not lie in the game play, it is in the options. Edit mode is limited to players only, you have no choice but to play with Lancashire Blues and Middlebrook because you can not rename teams. There is also only 8 stadiums in the 360 version and you can not save replays so if you ping one from 40 yards there is no one to show off too. They rushed to get the game out and missed some key things unfortunately.

If you can handle these issues then buy the game and enjoy it.

The editing stuff doesn't bother me to be honest. I heard about not being able to save goals either, not that it matters 'cos whenever I show my goals to Lee he doesn't give a **** either :D

So erm apart from Pro Evo any other games I should get?

Depends what games you like to play.

Shooters - Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Call of Duty 3, Lost Planet.
Roleplaying - Oblivion.
Strategy - LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth II, Viva Pinata.
Racing - Project Gotham Racing 3.
Action/Adventure - Dead Rising.

Games to look out for in 2007 are Alan Wake, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Resident Evil 5, Halo 3, GTA IV, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

Resident Evil 5....SOLD! :D

I think I'll give Gears of War a go as well seeing as it's been so popular.

FIght Night Round 3 is a game I really want to play as well.

Def worth getting Sean. You don't notice the difference untill you go back to the ps2 and see how **** it is once you have tried the xbox. Also it's very easy to watch movies...thats what i do these days

Yes i got mine just before christmas and though i never get the chance to play it much it is def worth its money.

Right I think i'm definately going to get one then. Just need to check a few things out first to make sure I keep my costs low :D

i got a good deal got the consol with the 20gb hard drive 2 wireless controls xbox live stuff mic n all that smackdown and gotham racing plus 2 games of my choice for £320

my mate got the full pack with hard drive etc , 2 controllers and the gotham racing , then 4 games of his choice for £300

is meant to be 350 but get student discount if you open up a card with virgin megastores

best deal around ive seen , dunno if that deals still on but check them out

opening up store cards or something with 10% off - on a 300 odd console aint a bad deal - worth a look

i'm just gonna wait until my birthday for one, even tho its the 26th septemeber, how can i wait that long:worried:

I've ordered one now. Should hopefully be getting it in the next 3-4 days :D

More money than sense, if i ever get one im waiting till its cheap cheap :D

Don't expect it to drop much anytime in the next 3-4 years. Unless the PS3 has a massive price drop then Microsoft wont go changing their prices.

I haven't played a wresting game since Smackdown on the PSX, which was around the time I stopped watching wrestling. Dead or Alive is a much better beat 'em up. I was also thinking about getting PES6 (£23 at play.com), I have it for my PS2 but my PS2 hasn't been touched since Mr. 360 arrived. Other than that nothing else tickles my fancy for XBOX at the moment.