Is there a way to stop my players from taking long shots?

SmoothJitsu

Reaction score
IT'S ALL THEY DO. no matter how my tactical setup is, all i see are my players take long shots. 3 guys making good runs who are great passing options?? let's take a long shot. Having the whole wing to to run into with nobody there? let's take a long shot.
3 on 1 counter? Let's take an ever longer shot. My manager said to work the ball into the box and shoot less often? Let's take a long shot.. I have a rating of 3 in Long Shot? I better take a long shot

Last edited:
double click on player, then when the bar pulls in from the left you get to edit the individual instructions, hit shoot less often

What level of football are you playing at?
If you're playing low tempo, work ball in to box and have shoot less often on all these players, then you've either uncovered a bug or your players have terrible decision making or you have fallen out with them so they're not following ur tactics or you don't have full tactic familiarity or maybe a mixture of all them things :D

- Make sure there are passing options.

- Make sure your instructions allow the player to use those options.

- Does the player see the options?

- Does he have flair and a lot of creative freedom with an aggressive Mentality?

- Does he have the PPM to try long shots?

I have a feeling we've been over this before.

Basically it is not down to one thing, it could be any of the following. You need to see who is doing it. Is it the whole team or 1 player or a particular role. Find that out and then see the below and see which one fits

-Player has shoot from distance PPM
-Bad decision stats
-A role which makes him shoot more often like IF-A, raumdeuter, AF, poacher.
-More creative/expressive freedom in your tactics but players have bad decisions or vision
-Too many attack duties.
-A selfish player with less teamwork stats
-Tactical familiarity is low

EXAMPLES

My Inside forward on support kept shooting even though he had other players free to pass, found out he has low teamwork means he is more selfish in front of goal.

There was another inside forward who always shot coz he had shoot from distance, removed it.

My Advanced forward would always get the ball a bit deep, he would turn and run, other players would join him in a bit later but he would still shoot. reason coz he is an advanced forward and he will always do that. His sole purpose is to run at defense and score. Generally you wouldnt want advanced forward as your sole striker. but if he does that then it is part and parcel of the role...BUT....if your tactic is such that you are always getting the ball in deep then better to change him to F9 or CF-S so he will actively turn and look for pass and only score when he is clear himself.

Hope you find your solution