Is there any trick to sign a player when other teams offering him also a contract?

Ursulla

Reaction score
I always loose players when other teams offering him also a contract ? Is there any secret knowledge of beating other teams approaching the same player ?
Why they always choose other teams ?what's wrong with the color of cash I'm offering them ?

I try to make them offers they can't refuse (if I really want the player). I don't see the point in trying to get the lowest deals for key players, I try to give them contracts that'll make it hard for other teams to meet his value.

If it's you loosing to a team in another country, remember that different countries have different tax rates so the wage you offer may be much higher, but their take home pay on the lower wage might be higher.

I try to make them offers they can't refuse (if I really want the player). I don't see the point in trying to get the lowest deals for key players, I try to give them contracts that'll make it hard for other teams to meet his value.

If it's you loosing to a team in another country, remember that different countries have different tax rates so the wage you offer may be much higher, but their take home pay on the lower wage might be higher.

I try to give them contracts that'll make it hard for other teams to meet his value.

o.png

parrot count #1 :p

I always loose players when other teams offering him also a contract ? Is there any secret knowledge of beating other teams approaching the same player ?
Why they always choose other teams ?what's wrong with the color of cash I'm offering them ?

If I offer a contract, then I see another club has, later, offered a contract, I go back and up my offer by about 20%, so if I'm offering £20k/week, I would up that to £24k/week, same with sign on fee, agent fee, bonuses.

Now, if they already have a contract offer from another club, and I'm offering second, I ask what they want. Generally, I meet that, and add one small bonus. Perhaps I add something like a bonus for international caps.

Most of the time, this works. However I had two players escape me when I first took over as Man City manager. I came from Brighton, so a much smaller club, and I think the players would not sign for me as I was not so well known and they signed, instead, for Man United and Real Madrid which had very established managers, despite my using the tricks, above.

If I offer a contract, then I see another club has, later, offered a contract, I go back and up my offer by about 20%, so if I'm offering £20k/week, I would up that to £24k/week, same with sign on fee, agent fee, bonuses.

Now, if they already have a contract offer from another club, and I'm offering second, I ask what they want. Generally, I meet that, and add one small bonus. Perhaps I add something like a bonus for international caps.

Most of the time, this works. However I had two players escape me when I first took over as Man City manager. I came from Brighton, so a much smaller club, and I think the players would not sign for me as I was not so well known and they signed, instead, for Man United and Real Madrid which had very established managers, despite my using the tricks, above.

So,what about if more teams enters after your bid...Would you raise each time another team enters negotiations by 20% or you stick to the first raise only ?

pay the agents more money cause that's why they're in the game.

So,what about if more teams enters after your bid...Would you raise each time another team enters negotiations by 20% or you stick to the first raise only ?

If you really, really want the player, yes, you have to go back and offer more, maybe much more, if they offer after you.

That said, if they are not the same team, or just not close in reputation, maybe you don't have to.

Really simplified example:

Playing Man City, I offer £100k/week
Man United make an offer (unknown)
I up my offer to £120k/week (or more)

Now: at this point: if Man United make an offer, I'm definitely increasing my offer.
If Chelsea or Arsenal offer I would recommend increasing, but it may not be needed.
If Norwich makes an offer, I probably don't feel the need to increase. That said, I've not run into this often.

I can tell you that this doesn't always work, though I'd still recommend doing it. On LFC Marshall's update, I started an online game with a friend where he was Man United and I was Liverpool. I had bids for Lacazette and Balanta accepted, and so when he came in for them, I upped the contract offers to 130k and about 70k p/w respectively, and relevant bonuses, but each of them chose United on contracts of 100k and 30k respectively instead.

So it's not just monetary factors - club reputation, Champion's League football both have an influence.

Club reputation, the competitions you are in, wages, contract, player status etc all play vital roles..
clubs like PSG, Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern, Man Utd have an upper hand in grabbing a player as a result.. they can offer better money, prestige, more exposure as in limelight etc..
offer agents a good few, also, a decent sign on fee/loyalty bonus, and squad status also.. if you desperately want a player, offer a key player status with good wages..