Is there any way to get a 4-4-2 to work?

NUFC Joe

Reaction score
It is my all time favourite formation. Call me old school, but, when you grow up in the 90s you get used to it and then after it died out, you miss it sometimes I guess! I'm sure there is somebody else on here that agrees with me.

Anyway, I just got sacked from Bristol City after back to back promotions from League 1 > Champ > Prem, and then sacked because I spoke about the chairman in a press conference.

Basically, when I get a new job on this save, I'm hoping to use a 4-4-2, but I'm just not sure if it's even possible for it to work. I can never seem to do it.

Any advice is welcome, thank you!

The 4-4-2 (or any formation for that matter) isn't dead. It's still possible to use. I have no idea why you think any different.

Start with the basic setup. You can always fine-tune it in friendlies etc.

My usual 4-4-2 is a fluid control system, with these roles/duties:
DLF-S AF-A
W-A CM-D RPM-S WM-S
FB-S CB-D CB-D FB-A
SK-D
Work ball into box, Tackle Harder, Push Higher up, Prevent GK distribution, Shorter Passing

This depends on the players I have, but usuallly works.

I would play simple fluid attack.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a 442 with Newcastle and really enjoying it, I'm unbeaten so far in the second season.

If you can post more info about how you want to play we can help.

Keep in mind it might take a few seasons to get the team playing right

I've started a new leeds united save, and have been using a 4-4-2 all the way to the premiership.
I'm starting to really like the 442 system especially with the new wide playmaker roles. Its a surprisingly versatile formation too.

Rather than giving you a set strategy or telling you to copy my formation, i think you need to figure out where your best players fit in your system and which roles they are best suited for.

Tell us when you get a team and we'll brainstorm

442 is a flat formation, meaning you can't use a more structured team shape, as players mentalites would be too much apart, which would create gaps opponents can exploit. Ideally it should be very fluid, meaning you should be using attacking sidebacks, ballplaying defenders and roaming roles. Roaming is usally connected with attacking, meaning a more agressive setup. Attack mentality will widen your setup and push your defence higher, your players will close down more and tackle harder, while passing should be direct, and your defence set to recycle possession. You should let go of control in this case and allow players to be expressive and try everything to score, and you should perhaps use offside trap to guard from counters (quick wingers and forwards).