is this a bug? Coming 4th but no qualifying for Champions

bray123

Reaction score
ok, i don't really now if this is a bug, but it really ****** me off

i just finished my second season as Aston Villa, and finally came 4th, when i looked at the table it said that i qualifyed for Champions, but when i press the spacebar and the day changes in the game, i have a mail on my inbox telling me that i qualified to Europa League, and when i look at the table again it changed and now says i'm on Europa, with Liverpool and Man. City

here's a pic of the league table, i'm going to load a save and see what happens
premierdivisioninglesai.png

*the game is in spanish, so in case you don't understand, CC means copa de campeones, AKA champions league, and EUR means copa euro AKA europa league

Could be a bug but it will most likely be that the english clubs haven't performed well in Europe so then a place may have been taken away from England and given to another country because of the ranking system used for European competitions.

Last edited:
It could be that Chelsea won the champions league that season so kept in the champions league and so took your place

Yeah the most likely case is The England National team have underperformed as a result England only get three Champions league spots, Happend to me but Vice Versa I got an extra place in Germany

Could be a bug but one thing it could be that if the english clubs haven't performed well in europe then a place may get taking away and given to another country because of the ranking system
i thought it could be that, but then i think i should have received a message saying that england lost 1 spot in champions league

i got to semis of the champs (lost to Madrid), chelski lost in the first knockout stage, and arsenal lost on semis of Europa league to Valencia

Maybe a team not in the top 3 qualified some other way, essentially taking the 4th spot. E.G. Winning the Champion's League grants automatic qualification.

Either this season or next season, a rule takes place that 3 top teams make Champions League and 2 or 3 teams make Europa League, something like that, which may be why.

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

However the biggest question is Blackburn - 3rd? Wow!

i thought it could be that, but then i think i should have received a message saying that england lost 1 spot in champions league

i got to semis of the champs (lost to Madrid), chelski lost in the first knockout stage, and arsenal lost on semis of Europa league to Valencia

You may have got a message and just missed it and looking at those results it wouldn't be surprising if a place had been taken away.

Either England dropped in co-efficient rankings, or that a team place below you won the Champions league in previous seasons.

@Joel: no, the champions league final is between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid

@vKompany: well, that answers my question, looks like i'm going to have to win Europe again :p
and yes, i was shocked when i saw blackburns performance in the league, looks like Sam did a good job

Either this season or next season, a rule takes place that 3 top teams make Champions League and 2 or 3 teams make Europa League, something like that, which may be why.

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

However the biggest question is Blackburn - 3rd? Wow!

As far as i'm aware that rule never got made and I think UEFA voted against it

@Joel: no, the champions league final is between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid

@vKompany: well, that answers my question, looks like i'm going to have to win Europe again :p
and yes, i was shocked when i saw blackburns performance in the league, looks like Sam did a good job

Blackburn did well in my save too. Nearlly to the title of me :S

OOOOOOOOOOOOK, this is very wierd, Real and Atletico Madrid just played the final of the champions league (Real won 3-2 on extra time) and i got a new message saying that Villa qualifyied for the Champs :D, and when i look at the league table it says again that i'm in champions

haha I'm into my 5th season now, Blackburn do quite well, and Alan Shearer is in charge. Shock? lol

Easy way to check, those spots get handed out on the back of Uefa Co-Efficient standings.
Just check them out and see how far down english clubs are, normally its Italian clubs that get it taken and german clubs always seem to gain from it

Last edited:
4th place in the league never says you have qualified for champ league until the champ league final has been played

this is because of the situation a few years ago where liverpool won the champ league but finished 5th in the prem and UEFA didnt know what to do because there was no rule about the holders having the rieght to defend title - in the end it was decided that liverpool would be allowed in the competition but would have to qualify - this meant that england had 5 teams that season in champ league despite only being alocated 4 places

to prevent this from happening again the winner will be allowed to defend title regardless of their league position at the expense of the last league position that qualifies for champ league

what this means is, using your game as an example, if had Chelsea won the champions league and your league has them placed 7th they would've qualified for champions league as holders at your expense

this happens in all the leagues across europe, the final champ league place in each country isnt decided until the champions league final has been played (with two spanish teams in the final you were always going to have qualified but the game doesn't work it out like that, it just goes on the information when the competition has a winner)

hope that made sence

haha I'm into my 5th season now, Blackburn do quite well, and Alan Shearer is in charge. Shock? lol

Same here in my save, Alan Shearer took over Blackburn 5 months into my first season, at November lol...