It All Began at Hartlepool: Following the Legend

Sinza

Reaction score

Brian Clough is someone I personally believe deserves more credit than he receives. What he achieved as manager of Derby and Nottingham throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's are often forgotten. Is this a story in an attempt to emulate the life and managerial career of Brian Clough? Ofcourse not. I wouldn't dare try, but his life has given me inspiration to do something a little wild. I've decided to attempt to do something similar. Take a lowly team up the divisions, and win some silverware, European silverware. To start my journey, I've decided to begin when Brian Clough did, at Hartlepool United.

Hartlepool United are a mid-table team in the nPower League 1. I'm not trying to find success with them to move onto a bigger club like Chelsea or United. No, in fact, I'm trying to turn them into a club just as big and as strong. The task at hand definitely is difficult, and I will admit that I'm not all that persistent. But I will try my best to follow through with this.

So let's begin shall we? I'll be updating the story with newer posts as I play through the game. This is my first post on these forums, and also the first time I'm writing anything like this, so any constructive criticism, suggestions and feedback are more than welcome.

Last edited:
After taking over the helm at Hartlepool, I got a few scout reports out. I convinced a somewhat stubborn Hartlepool board to get a parent club. Was given the options of Blackburn and Q.P.R, decided to go with the Rovers. The squad needed a lot of work done on it. There were definitely not enough players to even consider being competitive in the league long-term, it was at the stage where a couple of injuries were going to be enough to end any hopes the club had of promotion to nPower Championship.

Transfers & Loans:
Jason Banton (Free Agent)
-------------------------------
Aziz Deen-Conteh (Chelsea)
Michael Roberts (Liverpool)
Mehdi Abeid (Newcastle)
Bradden Inman (Newcastle)
Tom Hitchcock (Blackburn)

Pre-Season Results:
Hartlepool 1:1 (1:1) Hartlepool Reserves
Hartlepool 0:3 (0:3) Brighton
Deveronvale 0:2 (0:2) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 0:2 (0:1) Millwall
Aldershot 1:0 (0:0) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 0:0 Q.P.R
Lincoln 1:6 (1:2) Hartlepool

Other News:
League Cup 1st Round Draw put us up against Hull

Brian Clough headed into the new nPower League 1 season full of confidence after solid performances in the pre-season against Q.P.R and Lincoln. I just wanted a good start for the month of August, and definitely got one.

Loans:
Shkodran Mustafi (Everton)

nPower League 1 (August):
Hartlepool 3:1 (1:0) Rochdale
Charlton 3:3 (2:2) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 2:1 (2:1) Stevenage
Exeter 2:0 (1:0) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 3:1 (2:0) Bournemouth

League Cup (Round 1):
Hull 1:2 (1:1) Hartlepool

League Cup (Round 2):
Barnsley 2:0 (1:0) Hartlepool

A shock upset over Hull at 'The Circle' meant we found ourselves facing another Championship side, Barnsley. We had our fair share of chances but were unable to capitalise and couldn't break through their strong defence.

In the league we were unfortunate not to take away 3 points from Charlton, with a late equaliser from the home team ending the game level. The loss at St. James' Park to Exeter was a one-sided affair. An own goal from Stephen Wright handed the home side the lead, and we were never really in it after that.

However, I'm still happy with the performances in the month of August, and we find ourselves in 2nd place, on level points with Preston and Sheffield United.

View attachment 206579

Will try to play through September and October tomorrow and see if I can put up an overview of those as well.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I haven't updated this in a while. I've slowly been playing through the game, but didn't have much motivation when the story didn't really generate any interest, but after these last few comments I've decided I've give an update on where I'm up to and how Hartlepool and Blian Cough are progressing so far.

nPower League 1 (September):
Colchester 2:2 (0:1) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 3:1 (2:1) Brentford
Walsall 0:1 (0:0) Hartlepool
Yeovil 1:3 (1:1) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 3:0 (2:0) Tranmere

A very good month of September saw Hartlepool really begin to shine under new manager, Clough. Undefeated throughout September, with the only draw to a very defencive Colchester. Hartlepool went into the month of October guns blazing and were hoping for there run of fine form to continue.

nPower League 1 (October):
Hartlepool 1:1 (0:0) Sheffield Wed.
Oldham 0:4 (0:1) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 3:2 (2:1) Preston

Notts Co 1:1 (1:0) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 4:0 (3:0) Bury
Carlisle 0:0 Hartlepool

Johnston's Paint Trophy N (2nd Round):
Hartlepool 3:1 (2:0) Sheffield Utd.

The fine form did come to a little bit of a bump, but another undefeated month and some very high-scoring encounters allowed Brian clough to show that not only did our boys mean business, they were the 'team-to-beat' in this seasons nPower League 1 campaign. A solid performance in the JPT to go through to the Quarter Final.

nPower League 1 (November):
Huddersfield 1:8 (0:2) Hartlepool
Hartlepool 2:1 (1:1) Leyton Orient

Hartlepool 2:2 (1:0) Chesterfield

FA Cup (1st Round):
Havant & Waterlooville 0:5 (0:2) Hartlepool

Johnston's Paint Trophy N (Quarter Final):
Rochdale 1:2 (0:0) Hartlepool

Johnston's Paint Trophy N (Semi Final):
[4] Hartlepool 1:1 (0:1) Preston [3]

Not shying away from the goals in November. A strong performance in the 1st round of the FA Cup, Clough's boys really showing their intentions for the FA Cup.. get as far in the competition as possible. However their League 1 and FA Cup performances weren't reflected in their 2 JPT matches in November.
A last 5 minute flurry of goals saw them come from 1:0 down against Rochdale to win with 86' and 89' efforts from Tom Hitchcock and Gary Liddle securing entry into the Semi Final. Another close encounter, saw a 74' effort from James Brown bring the sides level and a tense penalty shoot-out meant Hartlepool were through. Flinders' two saves in the shoot-out leaving the Preston fans disappointed.
Another great month in the league. 82' and 90+5' goals from Alexandre Mendy denying Hartlepool of a great home win, though the fans won't be too disappointed after the 1:8 thrashing of Huddersfield.

So at the end of November the league table looks a little bit like this. No actually, it looks exactly like this:
View attachment 208475

Other News:
Reports in the media linked Brian Clough with a move to Sunderland in mid-September. Brain clough denied he was in talks with the club, also stating "I'm happy here at Victoria Park. My players and staff ar great, and the board has confidence in my abilities. I want to see this team succeed. I've only been here a short time but I'm in love with Hartlepool."
More media allegations at the end of October were tipping Hartlepool manager Brian Clough to take up the vailable position at the Reebok Stadium. Brian Clough said he wasn't interested in the position and made no further comments.

Last edited: