It say's something about the game when...

Forder22

Reaction score
The frustrations thread has 100 more pages than the success thread.

I spoke to Miles on Twitter about this poor piece of a game and he says it is my fault and i am not playing it properly, in all honesty i play as in-depth as you can get.

This game needs a new patch for all the little bugs but i am not holding out for it.

Firstly it was Defenders were not defending. Once that was fixed it was strikers not scoring. Then after that the AI is just totally overpowering and unrealistic. I highly doubt Manchester City would of been beaten 3 times in a row by **** teams who just had 1 shot on target per game.

A while back I calculated the ratio of Post Your Successes to Post Your Frustrations to measure whether FM13 really was more frustrating. FM13 scored a 25% S-F ratio compared to between 54% and 60% for previous versions, so it was a pretty clear yes. Let's see where we are now:

FM10: 60% as many successes as frustrations
FM11: 60% as many successes as frustrations
FM12: 54% as many successes as frustrations
FM13: 24% as many successes as frustrations
FM14: 20% as many successes as frustrations

(NB: I updated the FM13 figure - which has actually gone down by a % - but didn't bother with the others as those boards are long dead.)

So FM14 is statistically more frustrating than FM13, which was the most frustrating FM for a long time.

Whether that's due to bugs, poor balance, or the game being harder but still fair I won't comment on, as I'm still playing FM13. I just check this board every so often to read the Funny/Random page and see if it's worth upgrading.

I think that there have been more frustrations than usual that people don't want to stick around long enough to see the successes. True, there have been way too many bugs in this year's edition, and the only reason I'm playing FM14 is because of a few downloaded tactics that help me analyse what's going wrong with my own style.

Solving the centerback defending bug made the strikers score less? Once the strikers score more the centerbacks will be defending worse. Or the goalkeepers be worse.

FM10: 60% as many successes as frustrations
FM11: 60% as many successes as frustrations
FM12: 54% as many successes as frustrations
FM13: 24% as many successes as frustrations
FM14: 20% as many successes as frustrations

FM10: corner and tactic exploits aplenty
FM11: corner and tactic exploits aplenty
FM12: corner and tactic exploits, minus a few corner ones.
FM13: most corner and tactic exploits ironed out
FM14: most corner and tactic exploits ironed out, grid "exploit" unusable.

So the thing is a lot of exploiting tactics downloaders have stopped having success as the bugs those tactics exploited and depended upon have vanished, rendering those kind of tactics useless and, as consequence, many of them have been adding to the frustration thread.

And yes, it's undeniable there are players posting there who aren't that kind of cheat tactic users or plain whiners who don't want any challenge but the game gratifying their self esteem with easy wins. And there are bugs, some of which can frustrate. I am really annoyed at the match feed not giving prompt warning, if at all, of serious non game ending injuries, to mention just one. But that's practically inevitable, FM is a mammoth and programming something like it is extremely complex.

But then, from those statistics, one should be taking note of how many are undeniable bugs and how much are of the typical whiner who thinks just because he plays with the theoretically strongest team of the league he must win every game he plays. Or who gets frustrated because when he finds a team which way of play is the nemesis of his he can't get to change the result after five reloads, something he does every game he loses. Then it's fixed, because all his wins can't possibly be, since he doesn't reload to repeat the won matches until they're lost to find some who are won in all five reloads, proving that his skill is worthless since, you know, it's all fixed and stuff.

That way to calculate success/frustration is long. I've had success but I never posted, I have maybe 3-4 frustrations and posted over 10 times.

Also, this game tries to emulate how stuff is in real life, managers get sacked for a reason IRL, maybe people need to be patient and see how it pans out.

this game has bugs, like every other game. It's easy to know what you're doing wrong, watch a real game and then play a match on FM, now tell me, what have you done? i mean, i see people setting up good tactics and playing all the season with it, this is not what you'll see in real life. and also, do you really think real life teams playing all the match with same intensity(tempo)? no, but on FM you do that. it is just an example to say that your "in-depth" might not be enough. there are aspects in the full game that a simple user will never use, but they are essential otherwise they'll not be implemented in the game :)

this game has bugs, like every other game. It's easy to know what you're doing wrong, watch a real game and then play a match on FM, now tell me, what have you done? i mean, i see people setting up good tactics and playing all the season with it, this is not what you'll see in real life. and also, do you really think real life teams playing all the match with same intensity(tempo)? no, but on FM you do that. it is just an example to say that your "in-depth" might not be enough. there are aspects in the full game that a simple user will never use, but they are essential otherwise they'll not be implemented in the game :)
And there are also matches where opposition has less shots and chances yet win. Recent Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool match, Liverpool dominated and Arsenal were poor yet managed a win, happened in Chelsea 0-0 West Ham match, 39 Shots not a single goal. Frustrations can be genuine and might not be because of a bug, there are a lot IRL, a manager just can't blame match engine in real life.

I play on 2D simply because it masks the inefficiencies of the 3D engine and looks so much more believable! You can then attribute stupid mistakes to concentration, poor tackles to 8 tackling and the like

I found the difficulty spike from FM11 to FM13 very welcome. In FM11 I won Serie A 9 times in a row, won the treble three years in a row with two different teams, then (in search of a new challenge) took Nantes from Ligue 2 straight to 4th in Ligue 1. And I wasn't using any corner exploits or anything like that - I never even read the "Tactics" forum. Whereas in FM13 I've been threatened by the sack on a couple of occasions, and I just underachieved in the league for the first time ever. It feels much more realistic.

It's an inherently frustrating game because you have no direct control over what happens, but that has to be part of its appeal (I hardly ever play strategy games other than FM).