managerotm

Reaction score
6AM Tues, 30 may 09

On the way back from my routine 3 mile walk with the dogs over the daisy park in Coatbridge, i reminisced on my shortened footballing career. My knee construction work was complete from the horrific clash with Hamilton Accidemicals Simon Mensing that occured in a Scottish Cup replay tie when i was playing for Partick Thistle. The Jags won the tie that day but somehow i was the only loser involved with the team. All credit to the gaffer Ian McCall, he visited me in the hospital that night before he went to celebrate the win.

The same memory kept re-occurring over and over in my mind. when i scored THAT header to send Coleraine into the Semi Finals of the Irish Cup. As if by magic, on the same week it emerged that Thistle had taken an interest in signing me on a pre-contract. The Coleraine chairman said i was welcome to go after 4 years great service to the club. Although a hard decision to leave, i felt this was the opportunity to leave for the glasgow club as i had planned to settle there or thereabouts and at 26 i felt this was my last chance.

10AM

after making an ar*e of the eggs i had on the frying pan i decided to have cereal and a glass of orange. The phone rang just as had finished the kellogs immitation corn flakes. I got up from the exciting breakfast and answered

'hello, am i speaking to Mr. Campbell?' a manly voice said.

'aye who's that?'
' this is Ian Bodie,one of the directors from Dundee Football Club, we would like you to come for a short interview for the managerial position at the club, would you be interested in making the trip up to Dundee for four o-clock this evening?'
'yes very interested indeed. i'll be up for four then!'

my heart sank as i got off the phone, the thought of management at 29 years of age for me was an epic prospect. after the injury it was just what was needed. All the arrangements for the interview were made. I got a good pinstripe suit prepared, and made the trip up to Dens Park.

6PM

'Mr. Sam Campbell?'

I calmly walked in and handed the CV over the table to the board:

-Glebe rangers Captain aged aged 20-21
-Promoted to Irish Championship x2
-Relegated from Irish Championship
-Semi Finals of Irish Cup with Coleraine FC
-Challenge Cup winner with Partick Thistle
-Man of the Match in Challenge Cup Final

The panel read over the CV along with my Coaching badges approvingly. Various Questions were asked in the interview room which i cannot repeat. I musnt have done too badly in the interview room as i was given the Job there and then.

Campbell Succeeds Scott As Dees manager

to be continued....

Just like that, i had my own office with the Mac computer, pine desk, parker pen, the works! Tomorrow I am set to meet the players, but firstly the backroom staff to discuss if i want to keep them on in their roles in the club. My transfer budget was extremely rich for the standard. Winning the 1st division was a necessity in the first year but i was going to cross that bridge when i came to it.

Wed, 31st May

All the staff were kept on as i felt they already worked well as a unit aswell as the squad. Jocky, the last manager of the club definately had the squad disciplined enough so that wasnt the problem. If the 1st training session is anything to go by today, 80% of the squad definately had the ability. I decided to take a step back and let my assistant take things as normal with the same drills and routines as i would step back and take notes.

after training and a squad get together, i headed down the motorway back into Coatbridge with some things on my mind. leigh griffiths looked particularly pleasing with his finishing. He also scored a blinder of a free kick in training by Big Rab.

Tomorrow would mark my 1st press conference, and to be honest i wasnt looking forward to it. early night for me. The last 2 days have been 100mph

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

the press conference:

You sit here as the new manager of Dundee. Is this your dream job?
I am pleased to have the chance to work here. It’s a great club. It’s all happened very fast.

What is your overall approach to the tactical side of the game?
I’ve spent one training session with the players. I think it is important to find a mentality and style of play proportionate to the type and size of the squad we have here and so far I haven’t established that.
Will the current backroom and playing staff carry on or will you bring in some of your own personnel?
The team look disciplined, confident in themselves and have a good chemistry. The staff are a good set of lads also and they are all welcome to carry on in their roles

What is the availability status of Eddie Malone, is there any possibility he will be leaving the club?
Well as long as I am in charge, the policy for any of my teams will be, if there is enough money available for a replacement and the deal is right for the club then any party interested in Ed or any player will be considered....Ideally though I would like to keep Malone around.

Ryan Conroy has been heavily linked with a move to Dundee. Is there any substance to that?
c’mon guys, I’m here not even three full days. I’ve had no time to look at transfer targets.

So you will be looking to add to the squad later on in the month?
Possibly, but as i say, the squad as a whole are relatively strong

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

the press conference:

You sit here as the new manager of Dundee. Is this your dream job?
I am pleased to have the chance to work here. It’s a great club. It’s all happened very fast.

What is your overall approach to the tactical side of the game?
I’ve spent one training session with the players. I think it is important to find a mentality and style of play proportionate to the type and size of the squad we have here and so far I haven’t established that.
Will the current backroom and playing staff carry on or will you bring in some of your own personnel?
The team look disciplined, confident in themselves and have a good chemistry. The staff are a good set of lads also and they are all welcome to carry on in their roles

What is the availability status of Eddie Malone, is there any possibility he will be leaving the club?
Well as long as I am in charge, the policy for any of my teams will be, if there is enough money available for a replacement and the deal is right for the club then any party interested in Ed or any player will be considered....Ideally though I would like to keep Malone around.

Ryan Conroy has been heavily linked with a move to Dundee. Is there any substance to that?
c’mon guys, I’m here not even three full days. I’ve had no time to look at transfer targets.

So you will be looking to add to the squad later on in the month?
Possibly, but as i say, the squad as a whole are relatively strong

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

excuse some of the mistakes, 1st time having a go at this :$