I've tried to play they way you're saying you should, and I am still failing.

Did you change individual settings ? With short passing and no creative freedom i doubt your team would create any chances.No one will try the killer ball or spread the ball around the field.Push your backline back to normal.Cazorla role you have to give creative freedom and run with ball instruction.

Did you change individual settings ? With short passing and no creative freedom i doubt your team would create any chances.No one will try the killer ball or spread the ball around the field.Push your backline back to normal.Cazorla role you have to give creative freedom and run with ball instruction.

Cazorla has creative freedom nearly at the top, roam from position set to yes and run with the ball often. Most of my players have try through ball as often.

This is the setup people on this post were suggesting me to do.

I would suggest you go back to that reading match.Watch the full match and see what went wrong.Cazorla and arteta are not performing at all.They should be averaging around 7.5 .Are the wingbacks coming forward to support.Either upload your tactic here and wait for someone to check and tell you whats wrong.I can check after 10 hrs if you okay with that.

I would suggest you go back to that reading match.Watch the full match and see what went wrong.Cazorla and arteta are not performing at all.They should be averaging around 7.5 .Are the wingbacks coming forward to support.Either upload your tactic here and wait for someone to check and tell you whats wrong.I can check after 10 hrs if you okay with that.

What would you suggest I do for Opposition instructions?

One thing that strikes me straight away is a high line with closing down... I can imagine your CBs closing down on someone near midfield, getting beat and then a 1 on 1 with the keeper happening a lot. If you're going to play a high line I'd back off the closing down at least for your back line.

A few things that look odd when looking at your tactic is the fact that Arteta for once isn't a BWM, not even on a good day. Give him a DLP(D) role and make Ramsey a CM(S).

Second you are not playing a DM so it might be a good idea to use a cover and a stopper for your CB paring, usually you should give the stopper to the CB with higher aggression and bravery and the cover to the one with higher anticipation, which means Mertesacker would probably be the cover and Vermalen the stopper.

On top of that WWFan always encourages to give one FB an attacking duty. Considering that Cazorla is set to be an inside forward on a support duty, which means he will cut inside early and open space on the left flank, I would give that attacking duty to Gibbs so he can use the space Cazorla leaves when cutting inside.

Apart from that leave the width at the default setting, simply due to the fact that your passing is short and your mentality is standard your team will find it hard to pick a good pass and might give the ball away needlessly.

If you feel you are not playing wide enough use the shout "play wider" or set your mentality to attacking.

Okay so I've just gone on a little run of form now:

WPzA2dM.png

Yes I replayed the Reading game, there is no way I'm having a 5-1 loss on the records. Had it been 2-1 I'd have carried on. But yeah some decent results there. I just hope it isn't the game giving me some hope as I quit that Reading game a couple of times while trying to figure out what I'm doing. Also been tweaking small aspects inbetween games after looking at the other team.

My current tactic:

dG5TRTA.png

I can't get Nainggolan to perform as of yet. So will work on team cohesion to get him involved some more. Plus he's wreckless lol. So yeah I changed Santi to Attack, and Arteta to CM D and that has benefitted loads. Arteta has been great in last few games. Hit the bar from 40 yards as well, so unlucky!

Anyone know what I can do to get more out of Santi?

YDjiYaE.png

Might take him a while, cause technically he's still new to the team (Due to starting on normal DB).

Also can't seem to get Podolski to perform when on the wing?

Anyway here's the rest of my squad if you can give me some tips on how to use some of them:

V4FyMO1.png

So you tell me to replace almost everyone but say you'd be surprised if I didn't win the league with just 2 signings.. How does that make sense?

HOW AM I SAYING REPLACE EVERYONE??? That's your team you dimwit. The way you make it sound, you don't need any advice.

Why are you asking for it in the first place if you aren't going to heed any of it. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Ungrateful little s--t.

Change santi to hold the ball up and through balls often.Padolski is **** as winger so you can try anything with him it wont work.His best position is as poacher.Your signings are frankly poor.You wasted lot of money on average or not needed players.

Having rodrigo does not make sense with the one striker formation.Should have brought in a winger for the left side.

One bit of advice to remember when creating tactics is 'less is more'. Don't feel that you have to change everything from 'Default' just because you have the option to. Some of the most successful tactics I have seen have just simply use a 'Rigid', 'Standard' and 'zonal marking' system, nothing else.

Seeing as you like to use the TC, I suggest you download 'Tactical Theorems and Frameworks 10'.

It is a 60-odd page pdf document that will open your eyes when it comes to creating tactics on FM.

One bit of advice to remember when creating tactics is 'less is more'. Don't feel that you have to change everything from 'Default' just because you have the option to. Some of the most successful tactics I have seen have just simply use a 'Rigid', 'Standard' and 'zonal marking' system, nothing else.

Seeing as you like to use the TC, I suggest you download 'Tactical Theorems and Frameworks 10'.

It is a 60-odd page pdf document that will open your eyes when it comes to creating tactics on FM.
i totally agree with the premise that you can overcomplicate a tactic, it makes it harder to swap fatigued players to when you have each position so specified

Change santi to hold the ball up and through balls often.Padolski is **** as winger so you can try anything with him it wont work.His best position is as poacher.Your signings are frankly poor.You wasted lot of money on average or not needed players.

Having rodrigo does not make sense with the one striker formation.Should have brought in a winger for the left side.

Santi's been a bit better as of late. But I'll give it a go. I didn't spend too much on the players, most were dealt with by my Director of Football and they last over 48 months. Think the most I paid up front was £7M for Rodrigo.

I did have Podolski down as striker back up for Giroud at the start, might give him some time up top then.

Rodrigo was a bit of a panic deal/ I couldn't afford someone else. He's doing alright for me though. Played him LW last two and got 2 assists and played well. He's bagged some important goals as well.

He's out for 4 months with an injury now though.

LW is a target for January, just missed out on Gaitan for like £6M in the summer window, went to West Brom lol.

Nainggolan has started to perform in the most recent games. I could have probably got a cheaper and better option there. But he adds strength and solidness to the midfield. Although PSG have transfer listed Matuidi might have a gander.

Muscacchio is 4th choice and cost me less than £7M and that's over 48 months. He's got 4 star potential too!

Board gave me an extra £28M in October lol? Need to get some deadwood gone though.

Less is more but reading a 60 page pdf is what, light reading?

I know what you mean though, thanks :)

I don't know if I can link things from another FM web site? I'll give it a go and if its removed then I'll understand.

I was having the exact same problem as the OP, how can my my top flight team be getting battered by a third tier club?
But then I read this article about opposition instructions.
What I have done since is to stop my assistant manager auto applying OI's and I have created my own for each position.
I read how the person from said article^ neutralized opposition threats so I thought about creating general OI's to suit my tactic.
They are more rule of thumb OI's, just the basic things I want my team to do and to make pre-match setup faster.

Now there is probably no point me telling you all my OI's as they are for my tactic, my players etc but I do urge you the read the article.

P.s I am very new to FM (only playing game for about a year) and this will probably old news and basic stuff.
But since I applied my rule of thumb OI's I have been so dominant that I'm now looking at ways to keep players behind the ball and drop deeper because with 18 or so players in their 18 yard area I'm finding it hard to score...

P.p.s It has not stopped my multi million pound players making Sunday pub league passes though, sadly :'(

Last edited:
Just an update: Finished the season, and well, I smashed it!

Got to the final of the FA Cup, but lost 1-0 to Man City :(

Won the league at Old Trafford!

Rg0nk9X.jpg

And I done the unthinkable.. A score unsettled since 2006. It happened, yes. Champions League winners vs none other than FC Barcelona!

HW6RqEV.png

Still can't believe how well my players done. Like all of a sudden a switch went off and bam! Semi final 2nd leg vs PSG I won 6-0!

To be fair a lot of the teams I played had some pretty big injuries. But that being said I was without big players in big games as well!

What a season. Now to try and maintain what I've started!

Final table:

GiSQXkp.png

Defence were awesome. Not happy about yids coming second though!

Last edited:
Gratz!
One word for you: Patience!
It is so ridiculously important that it might become frustrating as ****. My first 2 seasons with Liverpool trying to get this team adapted to Possession football was a nightmare. I managed to scratch results SOMEHOW, but overall it felt wrong. But I didn't give up and tweaked it up until it finally performed!
Sadly in this game straight results won't come, at least for me, and a least not for many football styles.

I agree patience is key i play a very passing and control style on my new Arsenal story and although we didnt play brilliant to start with i am currently still unbeaten in the league after 25 games in the first season

my main tactic

here is my main tactic-
View attachment 374223
with this i have found putting the roles and style works but you need to customise\tweak the players instructions with how good the player is in certain ability's, and also take into some prefered moves into account as well to get the best out of your players and although this a new newcastle save i have a screen shot of my fixtures\results so far -

View attachment 374224
there is one more thing you need to consider and i don't think its stressed enough how important it is -

View attachment 374230

yes its your'e coaching staff i have started with newcastle before and thought hang on we have good players why are we doing **** for???? so this time i started with newcastle and instead of being loyal to the staff i replaced certain members of the coaching staff here is my screenshot of staff in\out-

View attachment 374231
now ignore pardew as out as this happened when i took over newcastle i released john carver because purely he cant reconnise a good player when he see's one and the other thing was he would recommend saying nothing when my team played well so i replaced him with fermo favini who is quality-
View attachment 374233

and then got rid off simon tweddle and got two coaches who could do fitness coaching but just signed them as general coaches they were scott taylor and dietmar hamann as my coaches to deal with fitness training and the rest of coaches i signed were just good additions to the rest of my current staff to lower the workload.

Now there is something i have found with coaches this only apply's for coaches only​ dont look for all round ability just look at what you want them to do 16+ if you can in a particular attribute is good if they hold two attribute's like attacking\ technical 16+ thats what you need for shooting for example then even better but take scott taylor for example he is rubbish overall so maybe at this point your'e wondering why i signed him the answer is his 20 fitness attribute 15 discipline and 14 determination so here the main one i was after was above 16 and two supporting attributes are fairly good combined together he is a fantastic fitness coach. he would be a bit better if he was better at motivating but i cant have everything but he gets four and a half star with either aerobic or strength training but both together 3 and a half star but because hamann is 3 and a half star on strength i leave scott taylor on areobic training which as previously stated is 4 and a half star.

here is scott taylor screenshot- View attachment 374237 so i hope this helps.

Last edited: