J-STAR - 1ST IN PREM WITH NEWCASTLE - POSSESSION/HIGH PRESSING TACTICS

James1517

Reaction score
Introduction to the tactics
Welcome FM fans, to my latest tactic release. This is my new tactics set called "J-STAR", with a style of attacking/high pressing/possession football with some inspiration from Brendan Rodgers’ Liverpool. The last time I did a tactics set like this was on FM14 which had a similar style of play and it proved to be very successful for myself and other testers. I’ve had some fantastic results with my Newcastle save using these tactics, a few blips and a bit of a leaky defence (I think its due to injuries, which have affected my defenders the most) I signed quite a few players, so the tactics are still taking time to settle and become fluid, and my squad to gel properly. These tactics have produced some very nice free flowing and attacking football, decent possession stats along with a good amount of CCC’s.

Formations & Player Roles
View attachment 303263View attachment 303260View attachment 303259
As you can see we have three different formations, a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-1-2 narrow. The player roles are all the same (apart from 2) in each formation. The team instructions are all the same for each formation.

Team Instructions

View attachment 303253

The team shape is very fluid and the strategy is control for all of the formations. The team instructions as shown above is your style of play, and as I said the TI is the same for all 3 formations, simply because they all have the same style of play, the formations in my opinion is only how your team is shaped and structured.

Training
Pre-season training: Switch between tactical and team cohesion on very high intensity (50%) every week, e.g. first week tactical, second week team cohesion, and so on. Match prep: tactics only.
During season training: Match prep: Attacking movement when you are against weaker team, defensive positioning when you are against stronger team (or similar standard team AWAY) With general training, I usually keep it on ball control, but say for example if I am using defensive positioning for match training, I always change general training to attacking a week before the game (if that makes sense) I find this helps benefit and balance out the preparation for each game. I put the slider to 40%.
Individual training: I train my players to the positions of the 4-3-3 tactic.
Set pieces are set in the tactics.

I leave OI to my assistant manager (make sure you have a good assistant with decent tactical knowledge).

Results, table and transfers with my Newcastle save

View attachment 303252View attachment 303254View attachment 303255View attachment 303256View attachment 303257View attachment 303258View attachment 303251

Some pretty extravagant wins. I posted the loss to Swansea simply to show you that there have been 1 or 2 losses where we’ve been unlucky.

Which formation do i use and when?
4-3-3 is the main formation, it is the most balanced and has got me most of my results, however sometimes I change formation depending on the opposition. For example, for the game against Liverpool (3-1 win) I looked at their report and saw that they play a narrow 4-1-2-1-2, I decided to counter that and match up against it and go with my 4-1-2-1-2, and it paid dividends. With the 4-2-3-1, I only really use it against much weaker teams, or for example maybe if I start a game with the 4-3-3, and I find that the striker isn’t getting much support, I change to 4-2-3-1.

Cheers for reading guys, would appreciate it if you give these tactics a try, feel free to make any tweaks that you feel may benefit your team or this tactic.

DOWNLOAD
View attachment 303248View attachment 303249View attachment 303247

Last edited:
Won Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League first season with Liverpool.
Only signing Konoplyanka in january.

Last edited:
The screenshots in the "Results, table and transfers with my Newcastle save" part are very small, can't read them properly.

Great write up though!

The screenshots in the "Results, table and transfers with my Newcastle save" part are very small, can't read them properly.

Great write up though!

Yeah sorry about the images, and yeah cheers :)