Jack Kelly, father of Kilmarnock cup winner Liam, dies at Hampden

pistolped7

Reaction score
Jack Kelly, the father of Kilmarnock player and Scottish League Cup winner Liam, has died after suffering a suspected heart attack as he watched his son lift the trophy after a shock win over Celtic at Hampden Park today.

He collapsed at the end of the match, in which Killieovercame the odds to beat overwhelming favourites Celtic to end the chances of Celtic's domestic treble and to win their first silverware since 1997.

Liam didn't go up with his team-mates to collect a winner's medal, instead running to be with his father. It comes just a day after Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba suffered a similar injury, as he went into cardiac arrest during an FA Cup clash with Tottenham. Muamba remains in critical condition in intensive care at the London Chest Hospital.

Kenny Shiels said: 'The dressing room is very despondent and I don't know why the man above sends down these messages to us.
'We are thinking more about Liam than our triumphalism.'

Kelly's team-mate and hero of the day for Killie, Cammy Bell, said: '‘We are so close as a team and we just couldn’t celebrate after we learned what had happened.’
‘If you could have taken away my performance and my winner’s medal, I would be happy with that — as long as it meant Liam’s dad was OK."

Tributes have flooded in to Kelly after the news of his father's passing broke. Chris Kamara said, on Twitter:
"Sorry to hear Kilmarnock's Liam Kelly's Dad suffered a heart attack & died after seeing his son lift the Scottish Cup today against Celtic"

Dundee United striker Johnny Russell tweeted: "Absolutely devastated for liam kelly and his family!! Great guy and a great pro"

Kelly's side had scored a late winner to seal a win over the Glasgow giants to end their hopes of a domestic treble.

Liam Kelly's dad dies after Kilmarnock beat Celtic in League Cup | Mail Online

Very sad news overshadowing what should have been Killie's famous day. RIP Jack Kelly.

to go from that high to that low emotionally must be horrible
Best wishes go to Liam and his family. R.I.P Jack Kelly

That's horrible. I can't believe that tbh. What a horrible story. RIP Jack, mate. and Liam, horrible circumstances but it just shows how proud his father was of him. So sad, but congratulations a thousand times to Kilmarnock for their win.