James eyes Portsmouth boss role

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Goalkeeper David James expresses an interest in becoming new Portsmouth manager, according to the club's administrator Andrew Andronikou.

More...

That wouldn't be bad,being a Player/Manager in the Championship...

Especially with him being 39 years old,he should be a contender instead of Zola tbh...

Meh, I've heard wierder. Install Linvoy Primus as assistant manager and Kanu as a coach? :p

Couldn't be any worse than Adams was.
He should be focussing on the World Cup.

Not the worst idea in the world, bring in a decent First Team Coach and this could actually work.

I'd prefer a manager with experience from lower league, Jamo has been a great player for the club but that is no reccomendation for the massive task ahead. Half a squad, no money for new players and a likely points deduction.

Adams was a great player but a poor manager, let's not make that mistake twice!

I think james would not be smart, someone who has been round the block and has expereince managing with little or no budget. someone who can hold the club together.

He'd need an experienced right-hand man. Will be a massive task to suddenly go from playing to managing, especially in the state that Pompey find themselves in.

I live in Pompey and belive this would be the most favourable option, Jamo is a legend down here and I think it could work.

Atleast after watching that thing before the FA cup final, he looks the kinds of player to make a good manager with the amount of analysing he does and the fact that he expects 100% from himself in training and strives to be perfect.

I think with a good Assistant, someone with experience, he could be very good.

It worries me that we are so pre-occuied with giving high profile jobs to "good" footballers over here... Not many succeed and some of the best managers have never been successful players, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho. James hasn't even coached, let alone managed a youth team! But he is deemed fit to manage a Championship side on the basis of a good bit of analysis, on that logic a few guys down my local should be given a chance! If he is to be considered surely it's better to get an experienced guy in as manager and for James to be the assistant?

If I was a Portsmouth fan, I would have serious reservations about this rumour.

Basically, handing a huge role to a man who has never coached is absurd. We all know the financial restrictions Pompey are under and, as much as I like the guy, he wouldn't cope with the pressure. I also believe there is time for him to save Portsmouth and to do that, they need a top class goalkeeper like him and, more importantly, a manager who knows what he is doing. James is a very good goalie, we all know that. Not many players are still playing at this level at his age but for him to manage now would be ridiculous.

Good luck Portsmouth but you'd be better off with a proper manager.

He might get a coaching or assissting role, but manager? Learning to run before he can walk...

maybe he hasn't "coached" as a proffession, but who knows what goes on on the training pitch? he always struck me as a smart football man, and it would save them one extra wage with a player/manager. don't forget he's turning 40, there have been managers 10 years less experienced than James.

maybe he hasn't "coached" as a proffession, but who knows what goes on on the training pitch? he always struck me as a smart football man, and it would save them one extra wage with a player/manager.

He would be a player as well!

What Portsmouth need is stability and experience. You need a Championship manager to do the job. I wouldn't have Zola. Nice man, poor manager. I can't suggest many off the top of my head but what has James done in respect to coaching or managing?

He's never managed or coached. He may not cope with the financial restrictions. He'd be playing as well.

I agree with Dan.

what had Mark Hughes done to get the Wales when he did? Gareth Southgate made the step-up just fine too, though not ultimately successful. both were younger than James is now. I say give him a chance, things can't get much worse.

maybe he hasn't "coached" as a proffession, but who knows what goes on on the training pitch? he always struck me as a smart football man, and it would save them one extra wage with a player/manager. don't forget he's turning 40, there have been managers 10 years less experienced than James.

But have they ever been successful appointments? I am struggling to think of one personally but I can think of several who have failed.

what had Mark Hughes done to get the Wales when he did? Gareth Southgate made the step-up just fine too, though not ultimately successful. both were younger than James is now. I say give him a chance, things can't get much worse.

I disagree, strongly.

Southgate wasn't great. He got Boro relegated. Yes, they won the Carling Cup, but relegated.

They even lost 3-1 to Newcastle. XD

Firstly Mark Hughes was 39 (only 1 yr younger than James) when he was given JOINT and TEMPORARY management of Wales with Neville Southall. Ok he did alright and got the job in his own right later, but then I am not sure Southgate is as credible an example!

Now consider these managerial flops: David Platt, Paul Gascoigne, Mark Wright, Peter Shilton, John Barnes all intelligent footballers, and the backbone to England's solid 1990 world cup team, all rubbish managers. Even Stuart Pearce flopped when given the Forest Job too early!

For every one rare manager that makes it there are 10 unmitigated failures following suit. As a fan of this once proud club, and as much as I love Jamo, I want to see someone experienced in control.

Back