Who should James McCarthy play for?

• Republic of Ireland

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Scotland

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Jamie92

Reaction score
I know this is to do with Ireland and Scotland but he plays for a club in England so I thought I would put it here.

James McCarthy of Wigan is pondering whether to play for The Republic of Ireland or Scotland national football teams, having made one cap for Ireland already in a friendly against Brazil he is eligible to switch allegiance to Scotland if he pleases.

Who should he play for?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11682_6744176,00.html

He's made an appearance for Ireland so should stick with them. But that article is terrible, they could at least explain how he qualifies for each country.

Having wikid him he's come through the Irish youth teams so should stay with them.

He's made an appearance for Ireland so should stick with them. But that article is terrible, they could at least explain how he qualifies for each country.

Having wikid him he's come through the Irish youth teams so should stay with them.

At the age of fifteen, McCarthy opted to play for the Republic of Ireland;[11] he was eligible through his family links to Gweedore, County Donegal,[12][13] and he made a promise to his dying grandfather to do so.[14][15] However, McCarthy also claimed that he would have played for Scotland if they had offered him an international call-up first.[11] Despite multiple attempts to persuade McCarthy to switch his allegiance to the country of his birth, he reaffirmed his decision to play for the Republic of Ireland

From Wiki, so not sure if its true lol

Hes making the decesion because Tappatoni wont play him

hmmm controversial statement from Martinez :S

At the age of fifteen, McCarthy opted to play for the Republic of Ireland;[11] he was eligible through his family links to Gweedore, County Donegal,[12][13] and he made a promise to his dying grandfather to do so.[14][15] However, McCarthy also claimed that he would have played for Scotland if they had offered him an international call-up first.[11] Despite multiple attempts to persuade McCarthy to switch his allegiance to the country of his birth, he reaffirmed his decision to play for the Republic of Ireland

From Wiki, so not sure if its true lol

If he indeed promised his dying grandfather to play for Ireland, then he should play for Ireland. But I wouldn't mind him playing for Scotland!

In all seriousness he should play for Ireland. As Cal said above he as already played for Ireland and came through the Irish youth teams. yes he played in Scotland before but that shouldn't affect his decision on which nation to play for

tbf, he's not good enough for any of the nations, but I'd rather he stayed with Ireland after all they were his 1st choice

If he promised it to his dying grandfather then he should DEFINITELY choose Republic of Ireland. Not sure how it's difficult for him.. (That's if he did promise it to his dying grandfather!)

Would like him for Scotland as I'm scottish but he picked Ireland fo his grandad so he should stick with R.O.I

Not fussed either way