Che Guevara

We're straying off topic here. I said I would keep my comments on Hiroshima and Nagasaki for another thread but if you're going to continue on this subject I might as well post them here.

But it would be stupid not to surrender if the US where to send a load of troops. Once the US got the upper hand and started to push the Japanese back they would have to surrender or die with no honor due to stupidity. I strongly believe the US could have defeated Japan without the atomic bombs and with less fatalities. At the end of the day we will never know.

you miss the point, they could have but the casualties would have been enourmous

1m+ casualties or 250,000 casualties.

I dont think you understand the nature of the Japanese during the war. do some research on it, people freely say they would not have surrendered to american forces landing on Japanese soil, they would have "blocked them with thir bodies and drowned them in their blood" look at iwo jima and saipan. Now imagine that right across Japan. Some Japanese officials believe that they could have inflicted such casualites that Americans would have agreed to negotiations had it not been for the bombs

But it would be stupid not to surrender if the US where to send a load of troops. Once the US got the upper hand and started to push the Japanese back they would have to surrender or die with no honor due to stupidity. I strongly believe the US could have defeated Japan without the atomic bombs and with less fatalities. At the end of the day we will never know.

No, you see, it doesn't work like that. It didn't work on Saipan or any of the island hopping campaigns. The only reason ANY Japanese were caught alive on Saipan was because they were just about to attempt seppuku when the Americans caught them. All the rest either died facing the enemy or through seppuku.

I use 'stupidity' loosely, since it's a pretty stupid way to die in itself. The crux of the matter is that the only honourable death in this situation - and the Japanese prized honour above all else - is to either die fighting the enemy or to commit seppuku. No ifs, no buts. You cannot fight an atomic bomb, thus there was no (or nowhere near as much) shame in surrendering: common sense overruled even the staunchest of Japanese. If the Americans had landed they'd have fought them for every square inch of ground, and every Japanese soldier fought under the mantra that 'if you take one with you, you've done your duty'. Assuming the Japanese mobilised at least one million conscripts (a low, low estimate) and every other one managed to take an American with him (again, pretty low considering the Japanese huge home advantage) that's 1.5 million dead in soldiers alone. I cannot stress how small a percentage of the overall casualties that would be.

Almost every historian, Japanese and American, accepts that the atomic bombs were the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:
Saying something and doing it are completely different things. Im sure they would have said that they would not surrender to the US under any circumstances, but they did.

Saying something and doing it are completely different things. Im sure they would have said that they would not surrender to the US under any circumstances, but they did.

You need to understand. The Japanese were thinking conventional warfare - ****, their officers carried katanas - and nothing, but nothing, can prepare you for an atomic bomb. With the advent of those weapons, war changed forever, and the goalposts regarding when it was acceptable to surrender changed completely.

You're just ignoring the point completely then. Even after the second Bomb generals didnt want to surrender, it was Hirohito who overruled them, because they captured a b-29 pilot who told them they had 100 more nukes

You're younger than I am but you really should be more aware of this :p

I'm aware of stuff as A Level History told me I should be :p
I'm not that interested in Che since I'm not communist or Cuban.
I prefer Russia. Give me Lenin any day :p

do you have sky? channels 520-531 are your friends

Almost every historian, Japanese and American, accepts that the atomic bombs were the lesser of two evils.

Sorry to bust in like this, but what do historians know about ethics and morality?

You're just ignoring the point completely then. Even after the second Bomb generals didnt want to surrender, it was Hirohito who overruled them, because they captured a b-29 pilot who told them they had 100 more nukes

Actually it was something more selfish than that - the Americans agreed to keep the imperial institution alive in case of surrender. Otherwise the war may have continued.

My main objection the A-Bombs being dropped (Aside from the fact it killed thousands of people) is the fact that they targeted civilians, and even if civilian casualties were unavoidable, the fact that they targeted highly populated areas is unforgivable. Bombing of Japanese civilians had happened before Hiroshima and Nagasaki as well - and I'm not talking about strategic bombing of factories and the like - but the unprecedented destruction brought upon hundreds of thousands of civilians by the nuclear attack is disgusting.

//Edit - Anyone with some spare time should take a look at 'Grave of the Fireflies' - really touching.

Write a short, 50 word description of the NEP and I may believe you! :p

Sorry to bust in like this, but what do historians know about ethics and morality?

They're still human, you know. It's pretty obvious that in terms of pure death rate, quarter of a million > one million plus, anyway. The Allies were trying to minimise casualties for both sides. The historians think that the bombs saved many more lives than an invasion. Thus, they accept them as the lesser of two evils.

They're still human, you know. It's pretty obvious that in terms of pure death rate, quarter of a million > one million plus, anyway. The Allies were trying to minimise casualties for both sides. The historians think that the bombs saved many more lives than an invasion. Thus, they accept them as the lesser of two evils.

I don't agree with putting numbers on morality, but I feel it's one of those discussions that leads nowhere so I'll leave it at that.

Actually it was something more selfish than that - the Americans agreed to keep the imperial institution alive in case of surrender. Otherwise the war may have continued.

My main objection the A-Bombs being dropped (Aside from the fact it killed thousands of people) is the fact that they targeted civilians, and even if civilian casualties were unavoidable, the fact that they targeted highly populated areas is unforgivable. Bombing of Japanese civilians had happened before Hiroshima and Nagasaki as well - and I'm not talking about strategic bombing of factories and the like - but the unprecedented destruction brought upon hundreds of thousands of civilians by the nuclear attack is disgusting.

//Edit - Anyone with some spare time should take a look at 'Grave of the Fireflies' - really touching.

Write a short, 50 word description of the NEP and I may believe you! :p

the deal had nothing to do with the surrender. they had not spoken to the americans at that point.

So bombing 250k civilians is worse than sending the troops in and watching 1.5 million soldiers and civilans die (the majority of causalties being civilans)

the deal had nothing to do with the surrender. they had not spoken to the americans at that point.

So bombing 250k civilians is worse than sending the troops in and watching 1.5 million soldiers and civilans die (the majority of causalties being civilans)

Yes.

So bombing 250k civilians is worse than sending the troops in and watching 3+ million soldiers and civilans die (the majority of causalties being civilans)

Fixed to middle estimates.