Japan v Aus Asian Cup final confirmed

winfield

Reaction score
For those that are interested there was at least one quality international game last night and one not so good

Aus 6 Uzbekistan 0
Japan 2 - S Korea 2 (japan wins on penalties)

First the Japan S korea game was pretty poorly officiated IMO with 2 soft penalties (one for each side) but it was a great game and probably showcased the 3 most technically gifted players in the comp (Kagawa, Honda and Park Ji Sung) absolutely epic game with S Korea equalising in the last minute of extra time

The Uzbeks vs the Aussies was horrific. Memo to the Uzbek defenders - you're called defenders for a reason. Track back and at least try to put a challenge in. The media played up the fact that they're a good passing team but there's no penetration to the passing and the Aussies just sat back and waited for them to turn it over and counter. My local u14's are better defensively. Again the refereeing was substandard. For a team supposedly lacking pace, the Aussies countered with pace and numbers.

So it's a showdown again on saturday between one of the growing rivalries in Asia - two teams with 2 different styles.

Well, we (Aus) where the first real test Uzbekistan faced. And they faltered. Badly. It is all well and good to have a good passing midfield, but without a solid defense, they have nothing to build off. You would think the Uzbek defenders had never actually been taught how to defend.

The officiating was pretty poor throughout I thought. Lots of wrong calls and weird decisions.

As for the final, it is a tough one. Our record against Japan (particularly Timmy's) is pretty good. But they offer a much, much greater challenge.

Last edited:
I watched the Australia match in the 1st half and after they led 2-0, i can't be bothered watching the 2nd half as i know the Aussies will surely win the match and they did it comfortably.

The Japan and Korea match was very exciting and i think both deserve to be in the final but sadly only 1 of them can go through and it was Japan. Apart from Kagawa, Honda and Hasebe, Japan's LB Nagatomo posed a constant threat as well as Okazaki(ST). Not forgetting Kawashima who made 2 good saves in the shootout.

Well, we (Aus) where the first real test Uzbekistan faced. And they faltered. Badly. It is all well and good to have a good passing midfield, but without a solid defense, they have nothing to build off. You would think the Uzbek defenders had never actually been taught how to defend.

The officiating was pretty poor throughout I thought. Lots of wrong calls and weird decisions.

As for the final, it is a tough one. Our record against Japan (particularly Timmy's) is pretty good. But they offer a much, much greater challenge.

It's true, but you know the sad fact is outside South Korea, Japan and us, I don't think any other team is a legitimately deserves WC spot on current form. I'd like to see a win on Saturday, it'd be good for the old guard to get silverware before winding down their international careers considering how much they sacrificed, but I fear Honda and Hasebe may have too much horsepower for our midfield to handle

It's true, but you know the sad fact is outside South Korea, Japan and us, I don't think any other team is a legitimately deserves WC spot on current form. I'd like to see a win on Saturday, it'd be good for the old guard to get silverware before winding down their international careers considering how much they sacrificed, but I fear Honda and Hasebe may have too much horsepower for our midfield to handle

I'm not against Australia or anything but imho, Japan will get a narrow win in the final. Japan's passing and attacking movement are simply great even though Australia have an advantage of using their physical strength but they lack pace. I feel that Australia were lucky to get a draw in their group stage match against Korea.

I'm not against Australia or anything but imho, Japan will get a narrow win in the final. Japan's passing and attacking movement are simply great even though Australia have an advantage of using their physical strength but they lack pace. I feel that Australia were lucky to get a draw in their group stage match against Korea.

You were right it seems

:'( We dominated most of the game... but just couldn't pull out a goal. **** Japan, great match. Sweet volley for their goal from .... Lee, (Don't know his first name), but Extra Time killed me. It's quarter to 5am here now :S

I am very happy that Japan won. Great goal from Lee and fantastic centre from Nagamoto. I hope Barça can sign him in the summer as they were interested in him

I am very happy that Japan won. Great goal from Lee and fantastic centre from Nagamoto. I hope Barça can sign him in the summer as they were interested in him

might be useless, cuz barca is good as it its now.

Disappointed S. Korea lost, so now I'm backing the Aussies to beat Japan :)

that was probably the worst marking i've ever seen on the goal :(
and carney is overrated IMO.

Yup sucks to be us. When we learn Carney is not a LB, every international he is exposed by anyone with pace or willing to go forward.