Jonathan Wilson: Chelsea will need to tweak system to accomodate Drogba and Torres

Jonathan Wilson

Jonathan Wilson's Articles (Bot)
Reaction score
Chelsea will need to tweak system to accomodate Drogba and Torres

When Carlo Ancelotti arrived at Chelsea in summer 2009, he started off playing 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond. That paired Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba as strike partners, with Frank Lampard tucked behind. It rapidly became apparent that Lampard is far better played with the ball in front of him than playing with his back to goal.

He prefers to come from deep, using his tremendous stamina to work box-to-box, scoring his goals -- of which there have been an extraordinary number -- by making late runs. He is not an enganche, not somebody who can link midfield and attack by receiving the ball in tight situations creating space with a trick and then picking the ideal pass. So Ancelotti reverted to the 4-3-3 Jose Mourinho enshrined at Stamford Bridge -- even though that entailed Anelka having to take up a right-sided position in which he is clearly a little uncomfortable -- and was rewarded for his pragmatism with a league and cup double.

The problem, though, was that it was success achieved with the Mourinho paradigm: his way of playing and, to a large extent, his players. Perhaps subsequent coaches and, more importantly, Roman Abramovich, can ignore the fact that reflected in each piece of silverware is Mourinho's ghost, but the reliance on his personnel also created a practical problem: the squad is growing old together. It desperately needed rejuvenation and, while the signing of David Luiz, the 23-year-old Brazilian defender, is a step toward that, paying £50 million ($80M) for a 26-year-old forward with a long history of muscular injuries may not be.

Fernando Torres, on form, is a superb player, probably the best all-around center forward in the world. He is quick, powerful, intelligent, technically sound and imaginative. He is probably the heir to Andriy Shevchenko in being the heir to Marco van Basten. And at Stamford Bridge, the comparison immediately rings alarm bells.

After successive title successes, it had seemed Mourinho was making Chelsea an unstoppable, relentless force. Then Abramovich bought Shevchenko and Michael Ballack in the summer of 2006. Ballack could be accommodated into the 4-3-3, although he never had the freedom to score the goals for Chelsea he had in Germany; Shevchenko could not. Abramovich, though, wanted to see all his purchases in use at once, preferably playing a brand of football more akin to the Manchester United against Real Madrid game in 2003 that made him fall in love with the game; his recent flirtation with Txiki Begiristain, the former director of football at Barcelona, suggesting he still wants flamboyance as well as success.
Ancelotti faces a similar problem to that Mourinho faced in 2006. In Torres and Drogba he has two center forwards who, 18 months ago, could legitimately have been regarded as the best in the world -- which is not, of course, the same as being the best strike pairing in the world. They are probably a little too similar to form a great partnership, and there is a danger, particularly in the early weeks of their relationship, that they will find themselves making the same runs. Both are probably better as a lone forward.

It may be that Abramovich sees Torres as a long term replacement for Drogba, who turns 33 in March, and that Chelsea will stick with the 4-3-3. But the suspicion is that he wants to see them playing together. The stereotype of the nouveaux riches is that they lack taste, that rather than carefully creating a coordinated look for their home they just buy lots of expensive stuff and slap it all together: oligarchs and soccer clubs often seem the same.

If Drogba and Torres are to play together, they surely cannot do so in a 4-3-3. Torres may -- just about -- have the pace and wit to play wide, but if he got as grouchy as he seemingly did because Liverpool were pumping long balls at him under Roy Hodgson, he is hardly going to relish a peripheral role (those seeking reasons for his disaffection at Liverpool, incidentally, may like to compare footage of the celebrations of Liverpool goals over the past year or so and ask what suddenly happened to the relationship between Torres and Steven Gerrard at the beginning of this season; Torres's reaction to Gerrard's equalizer against Sunderland earlier this season is particularly frosty).

But if Torres and Drogba are to play as a front two, what does that do to the midfield (not to mention Anelka, who presumably becomes merely a reserve)? Chelsea probably are better placed to introduce a diamond than they were last season for two reasons: Jose Bosingwa and Ramires. Bosingwa had started the season well when he suffered cruciate damage in November 2009 and was out for a year. Without him, Chelsea lacked a quick and naturally attacking right back, which meant that, until the switch back to 4-3-3, the team became predictable, with Ashley Cole's forays on the left providing its only real width. Ramires, meanwhile, has had an indifferent start to life in England, but the shuttling role on the right of midfield is ideally suited to him, and he played variations of that position both for Brazil and Benfica last season.

The problem, though, remains who plays at the diamond's point. Lampard has already proved unsuited to the role and it is hard to believe Florent Malouda will be much better. What is needed is somebody with imagination and deftness, a player who can receive the ball to feet under pressure and create an opening. Both Lampard and Malouda rely more on their physical attributes. Yossi Benayoun, when he returns to fitness, may be a short-term answer, but he seems a prosaic figure to build a team around.

So maybe the solution is to play a different form of 4-4-2. A flat four in midfield, though, seems impossible for, although Malouda or Yury Zhirkov could operate as the left-sided player, there is nobody to operate on the right. Perhaps Michael Essien could fill in there, but it seems an odd use of his attributes, and he is no great crasser of a ball. Besides which, playing Lampard alongside either Mikel John Obi or Ramires is likely to hamper Lampard's forward bursts, just as he has always been restricted when playing in a 4-4-2 for England.

The best solution is probably a 4-1-3-2 -- a flattened diamond -- with Essien or Mikel holding and Malouda, Lampard and Ramires providing support to Torres and Drogba from midfield. It's a system with balance, although it's hard not to feel that, for all the energy and power in that midfield, there is little in the way of flair. Perhaps that can, at last, persuade the specter of Mourinho to abandon his seat in the dugout, but if Abramovich is looking to create the style of Barcelona in west London, signing Torres probably wasn't the best place to start.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...02/01/chelsea.torres/index.html#ixzz1Ck9vGp8K

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe if its not broke then dont fix it. Our formation tonight which was a standard 4-3-3 but Torres would fit into it i believe. Its quite narrow and he could play in a front 3 with Drogba, Anelka and Torres i have no dout. Anelka drops really deep anyway so at times it will be Drogba and Torres upfront and Nico joining them. I say keep the 4-3-3 plus you get the best out of Lampard.

I believe if its not broke then dont fix it. Our formation tonight which was a standard 4-3-3 but Torres would fit into it i believe. Its quite narrow and he could play in a front 3 with Drogba, Anelka and Torres i have no dout. Anelka drops really deep anyway so at times it will be Drogba and Torres upfront and Nico joining them. I say keep the 4-3-3 plus you get the best out of Lampard.

Exactly! Anelka will play the exact same role he played tonight!

Also, I believe Malouda will play left wing or centre mid like he did for a chunk of last year. But all the players will have to get used to being on the bench from time-to-time

Last edited:
Exactly! Anelka will play the exact same role he played tonight!

Yes mate he will. at times Anelka finds himself in DM and that will leave Torres and Drogba upfront and when we create a chance Lampard, Anelka, Essien, Cole and Bosingwa will all get forward to to assist Drogba and Torres. Times are looking really good again for the Chels roll on Sunday.

Yes mate he will. at times Anelka finds himself in DM and that will leave Torres and Drogba upfront and when we create a chance Lampard, Anelka, Essien, Cole and Bosingwa will all get forward to to assist Drogba and Torres. Times are looking really good again for the Chels roll on Sunday.

I know :D just hope Torres doesn't pick up too many injuries. Although part of his problem was l'pool bringing him back too early because they relied on him!

Seemed to me like we played more of a 4-1-2-1-2 tonight. Looked like Kalou and Drogba were upfront and Anelka was just behind linking up the play, probably one of his best games in a Chelsea shirt.

Fullbacks also bombed forward providing the width so plenty of service for Torres if he comes in.
This is how I would line up:

Cech
Bosingwa - Ivan - Terry - Cole
Essien/Mikel
Lamps - Malouda/Essien
Anelka
Torres - Drogba​

Seemed to me like we played more of a 4-1-2-1-2 tonight. Looked like Kalou and Drogba were upfront and Anelka was just behind linking up the play, probably one of his best games in a Chelsea shirt.

Fullbacks also bombed forward providing the width so plenty of service for Torres if he comes in.

Cech
Essien/Mikel
Lamps - Malouda/Essien
Anelka

Torres - Drogba​

Yer looks like it was a mixture between that and the 4-3-3 when we attacked mate. One thing is sure, we look much more versitile and we looked frightining tonight.

Cech
Essien/Mikel
Lamps - Malouda/Essien
Anelka
Torres - Drogba​

Wouldn't say it was 4-1-2-1-2, but more 4-3-1-2 so Anelka deeper than 2 strikers in more of a second striker role, rather than attacking midfield.

I know :D just hope Torres doesn't pick up too many injuries. Although part of his problem was l'pool bringing him back too early because they relied on him!

Yer they did abit mate, plus he had no help upfront either hense why he kept getting kicked by defenders Playing with Drogba then defenders will have a choice, go to Torres or go to Drogba.

anelka was indeed very deep, and very impressive. he always bugged me when I went to see him because he would track so far back, but it's almost perfect with torres now coming in, and it'll be great if that does become his permanent role, because he's too good a player to just bench..

Cech
Essien/Mikel
Lamps - Malouda/Essien
Anelka
Torres - Drogba​

The problem lies in two things.

Anelka as a CAM, playing behind two forward would seem to be difficult for him to really get into the game. He would lack space in which to operate as a normal striker, and his actual role would have to be as a normal attacking midfielder.

Drogba and Torres - how is it going to work? Sure it sounds like a fantasy strikeforce, but it's actual working-state is also questionable. Both operate quite well as lone strikers and need good service from people around them to really get going.

Their movement and game would have to change and have to get used to. Then there is the possible problem that one may lack a lot more verve than the other, and lose goalscoring form. Either one of them could.

Just saying, it looks a bit difficult to picture this being quite succesful.

CJACKO would you rather have Rooney or Torres?

If both fully fit on form then Rooney all day long. Maybe because im an England fan but who knows, i would say Rooney.

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

Anelka as a CAM, playing behind two forward would seem to be difficult for him to really get into the game. He would lack space in which to operate as a normal striker, and his actual role would have to be as a normal attacking midfielder.

Drogba and Torres - how is it going to work? Sure it sounds like a fantasy strikeforce, but it's actual working-state is also questionable. Both operate quite well as lone strikers and need good service from people around them to really get going.

Their movement and game would have to change and have to get used to. Then there is the possible problem that one may lack a lot more verve than the other, and lose goalscoring form. Either one of them could.

There is alot of energy in the side, if we played the way we did tonight then Torres would fit into the side easily. At the moment i would replace Kalou on Sunday with Torres and try and play the same way we did tonight.

It probably wont work (Nando, Drog partnership) this season and eventually Torres will take over from Drogs but till then they will have to work together but i cant see it happening soon unfortunatly..

couldn't agree more. (not because i'm a bitter Liverpool fan) Two great forwards on their own doesn't necessarily mean they'll be great together.

I’m clearly going to get ridicule for this but Drogba is almost 33 & has had a very poor season, Wither that is to do with the malaria thing? I don’t know but I would drop him and make way for Torres. Out with the old and in with the new.

Would love to hear some Chelsea thoughts?