diogocardoso4

Reaction score
Hello guys! I've been trying for some time to emulate Jorge Jesus tactics at SL Benfica. Either when Benfica plays at portuguese league and when Benfica plays at Champions League where Benfica plays more direct passing focusing more counter. Could you guys help me? Thanks!

Last edited:
You have 2 tactics to make. The 1st one should be the attacking 4-2-2-2, with two mids and 2 wingers/IFs. The 2nd one should be the 4-3-2-1, having one DMC (Fejsa) and 2 MCs.

For the 1st one, the roles:
Gk - normal
CBs - also normal
FBs - complete wingback role
MCs - one BWM (Fejsa) and the other Advanced playmaker (Perez)
AMR/L - They work more like IFs than wingers.
Fowards - One should be poacher/target man (Lima/Cardozo), the other should be a F9 (Rodrigo)

For the 4-3-2-1
GK, CBs and FBs - the same
DMC - With Javi Garcia, Half BAck, with Matic i would risk Regista, but with Fejsa i go for pure DMC
MCs - one in support (Amorim), the other AvP (Perez)
Foward - Cardozo as TM.

Mentality:

For the 1st one, attack, fluid, for the 2nd control, balanced or rigid

Hope this helps

You have 2 tactics to make. The 1st one should be the attacking 4-2-2-2, with two mids and 2 wingers/IFs. The 2nd one should be the 4-3-2-1, having one DMC (Fejsa) and 2 MCs.

For the 1st one, the roles:
Gk - normal
CBs - also normal
FBs - complete wingback role
MCs - one BWM (Fejsa) and the other Advanced playmaker (Perez)
AMR/L - They work more like IFs than wingers.
Fowards - One should be poacher/target man (Lima/Cardozo), the other should be a F9 (Rodrigo)

For the 4-3-2-1
GK, CBs and FBs - the same
DMC - With Javi Garcia, Half BAck, with Matic i would risk Regista, but with Fejsa i go for pure DMC
MCs - one in support (Amorim), the other AvP (Perez)
Foward - Cardozo as TM.

Mentality:

For the 1st one, attack, fluid, for the 2nd control, balanced or rigid

Hope this helps
Yes it does help! Let me pls ask you some questions! In team instructions, do you think benfica uses off side trap? and in the first tactic what role and fuction do you think matic played? and enzo perez, AvP as support or attack? and the inside forwards, attack of support? thanks very much!

I think Enzo Perez is box-to-box and he is way better in real life than he is on FM in my opinion!
And Gaitan works like a Advance playmaker even playing on the wing, Markovic should be a IF, that's my vision of Benfica!

Yes it does help! Let me pls ask you some questions! In team instructions, do you think benfica uses off side trap? and in the first tactic what role and fuction do you think matic played? and enzo perez, AvP as support or attack? and the inside forwards, attack of support? thanks very much!

Matic played as DLP, not as Xavi, more like a Busquet. Perez on attack home/smaller teams, the rest support. IF should be attack home, support away.

I think Enzo Perez is box-to-box and he is way better in real life than he is on FM in my opinion!
And Gaitan works like a Advance playmaker even playing on the wing, Markovic should be a IF, that's my vision of Benfica!

Perez box-to-box as FM plays, yes, not IRL. Toure is more a Box to box. Lets try to see Perez as a mixture of Moutinho and Lucho.

Gaitan and Markovic, have to agree.

In all, Benfica roles from the mid to the front are very fluid and diferent, so using the 3 tactic slots should help you replicate all JJs philosophy.

If possible, post some SSs

and what about team instructions? what do you think??

Well...

Play by both flanks
D-line very high
Crosses to target man when Cardozo plays, t-balls when Rodrigo/Lima play
Hassle opponents
Stay on feet
High tempo
Keep possession
Short passing
Work ball into box

don't remember more right now

Well...

Play by both flanks
D-line very high
Crosses to target man when Cardozo plays, t-balls when Rodrigo/Lima play
Hassle opponents
Stay on feet
High tempo
Keep possession
Short passing
Work ball into box

don't remember more right now
what about look for overlap and offside trap? thanks very much man :)

Last edited:
what about look for overlap and offside trap? thanks very much man :)

Yes, overlap is what Maxi does best!!

Offside trap works because Luisao IRL has great positioning. In FM, if you play such an offensive style of football, you will just get destroyed by counter.

My advice is to emulate everything and after just tweak to get the effect.

I tried many times to do it, but lack the time to try it properly.

Yes indeed i am getting destroyed by counters :S its actually the only way i consider goals (not taking in consideration set pieces). but yes, the play style is close to reallity. shouldn't i put play wider too?

Yes indeed i am getting destroyed by counters :S its actually the only way i consider goals (not taking in consideration set pieces). but yes, the play style is close to reallity. shouldn't i put play wider too?

Yes you should.

My advice to stop counters is to set D-line deeper against smaller teams.

Can you screen shot the tactics?