TheHoops1888

Reaction score
Other Tactics -

Marcelo Bielsa - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...ionary-marcelo-el-loco-bielsas-3-3-3-1-a.html

YouTube Tactical Analysis -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV2b...ature=youtu.be

Thread Inspired by -
Jorge Sampaoli's 4-2-3-1 Sevilla

5bd3df08-fc92-4aaa-9b60-ae2b14fa8ef9Untitled-211-1024x536.jpg

Welcome to another tactical discussion were I analyse one of Europes greatest tacticans and implement it into FM, The Sampaoli band wagon has made it's way across the globe to Europe and is now regarded as one of the best managers in the continent with his fluid and precise systems, using very fluid mentality and a team of hard working and technical footballers to recreate the style of football made famous by the famous Marcelo "el loco" Bielsa and has had a strong influence on other great managers and their style of play.

In this thread, I am going to analyse Jorge Sampaoli's 4-2-3-1 formation employed by his his current Sevilla team who currently sit 4th in La Liga. Sampaoli's style of play stems from the genius of Marcelo Bielsa and he is now regarded as one of the 5 disciples of his ideologies each playing a similar type of football with different players, different formations and in completely different leagues and footballing cultures, the most notable Pep Guardiola implementing this style in the Premier League.

Key Characteristics to this style of play -

• A high defensive line to compress the space the opposition have to play
  • Aggressive pressing all over the pitch to reduce the time the opposition have on the ball
  • An attacking mentality where the teams main goal is to score goals
  • Fluidity and rotation amongst players so the team are more flexible in transitions
  • A controversial managerial personality and an active contribution on the touchline
Sampaoli, in an interview after a 0-3 lose to Uruguay despite having 73% possession, when the stat was revealed to him in an interview after the game Sampaoli compared it to trying to bed a woman -

One night, I went to a bar, I was with a woman. We talked all night. We laughed, we flirted, I paid for several drinks of hers.
At around 5am, a guy came in, grabbed her by the arm and took her to the bathroom. He made love to her and she left with him. That doesn’t matter, because I had most of the possession on that night.

Jorge Sampaoli's Major Honours

Universidad
de Chile

Torneo Apertura (2): 2011,
Torneo Clausura: 2011 Copa Sudamericana: 2011

Chile Int
ernational Team

Copa América: 2015

The Philosophy Jorge Sampaoli has been extremely successful as manager of Sevilla to date currently sitting 4th place in La Liga, Sampaoli is an expert in unlocking opposition defences in a typical South American fashion allowing his team a lot of creative freedom and fluidity commanding players to keep the ball whilst being direct and passing with a purpose, due to his success Sampaoli has been linked with prestigious managerial jobs such as Argentina and Barcelona but currently this season has sworn his loyalty to Sevilla. Under Sampaoli Sevilla play a very fluid 4-2-3-1 formation which transitions to a 3-4-3, 5-3-2, 4-1-3-2 and many other different shapes throughout a game depending on opposition strength and the players at his disposal. His team try to control the space in the oppositions half with smart and precise player positioning, high intensity pressing whilst taking advantage of opposition mistakes is the main play maker in his side. Many people have misconceptions of this particular style of play, some people have a simplified script in their head that this is to keep possession play tiki taka football whatever the case may be ...

But no successful manager plays to one simple script or encourage one set approach of football, Sampaoli even stating that he doesn't believe in formations as teams often play in unorthodox shapes as players carry out specific roles on the field, Sampaoli gives his players a certain amount of freedom which allows them to improvise on the field and able to think for themselves this increases their chances of dealing with unexpected circumstances in transitions making his team organised without being organised.

His exact philosophy can not be emulated 100% accurately due to ME restrictions but includes all the fundimentals off Sampaoli's system.

Sampaoli's Team shape and how they transition

"Formation"

• Jorge Sampaoli one of the 5 disciples of Marcelo Bielsa integrates some of his ideologies into his playing style
  • Highly creative, free-flowing football.
  • Lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation - defence, midfield and attack highly integrated with each other.
  • Playing style inspired by Marcelo Bielsa's influence also playing a style in the Chilean National Team.
  • Half back drops in between centre backs, Centrebacks drift wide also known as a salida lavolpiana
  • Wide Playmakers get into the channels and control the half spaces allowing wing backs to overlap, N'zonzi the halfback is the most important player in the squad dictates the tempo and distributes the ball to the wide areas.
  • Attackers triangle leads the pressing whilst one of the front 3 comes deeper to recycle possession.
    pressing as a unit (Fluidity)
  • superiority and taking advantage of quick transitions from defence to attack.
  • Focus on pressing and unlocking opposition defence
  • Team is usually structured horizontally with emphasis on rotation and adapting to press certain opponents
  • High block defensive line controlling space.
  • Emphasises on attacking the flanks with most of the goals coming from crosses.

Playing Style

Team Shape: Very Fluid
  • Highly creative, high tempo attacking football.
  • Team working together, attacking and defending as a unit.
  • exploiting opposition flanks attacking with direct forward passes.
  • Higher Defensive Line & Pressing.

Mentality: Control
  • The main evolution to playing style.
  • Moving from Standard to a Control mentality offers several benefits:
  • Higher collective mentality.
  • Quicker tempo.
  • More width.
  • Higher defensive line.
  • More aggressive closing down.

Team Instructions
-

• Tempo left on normal as the control mentality is already aggressive enough team will look to attack and a high tempo will lead to us forcing attacks and giving the ball away.
  • Fairly wide - make the pitch wider allowing more space to play aiding our formation and exploiting the flanks.
  • Prevent short GK Distribution, Press more and Slighly Higher Defensive Line - Playing on a control mentality already increases our defensive line and aggression towards pressing, these TI's compliment eachother and aid our high press.
  • Roam from position - Allows us to be fluid in our play and unlock defences, team works for each other and covers for another players mistakes.
  • Be More Expressive - Adds extra vision and flair to our game playing a Jorge Sampaoli style with flair in abundance.
  • Dribble Less - I feel playing on a control mentality with the roles included in our tactic aim to run at the defence to often and ruins some of our attacks.
  • Whipped Crosses - Sampaoli's side usually fire low crosses into the box when at the byline and whipped balls from deep due to the lack of height in the box.
  • Look for overlap - Increase amount of runs the wingbacks do and allow them to get a cross in our a cutback to one of the playmakers.

Player Instructions -

GK/ - Distribute to Centrebacks,More risky passes

WB/A - Close down more

BPD - Dribble more * encourages centrebacks to build from the back and drive forward*

CWB/A - Close down more

HB/D - Tackle Harder, More Direct Passes, More Risky Passes

BBM/S - Close down more ***Must set position swap with Half back***

AM/S - Close down more, Get further forward, Roam from position

Left AP/A - Close down more, Tackle Harder, Cross from By-line, Stay Wider, Get further forward

Right AP/A - Close down more, Tackle Harder, Get further forward, Cross from by-line

DLF/S - Close down more, Tackle Harder, Roam from position, Move into channels

Opposition Instructions

• Encourages pressing all over the field with emphasise on winning the ball on the flanks and high up the field
  • Minimises opponents potential to exploit certain positions with hard tackling and showing onto weaker foot.
  • Minimises time strikers and wingers have on the ball.

Tactical Analysis

- The build up

• [*=center] Ball playing defenders push out wide offering a passing option to other players
    [*=center] The half back drops deep into a CB spot creating a 3 man defence
    [*=center] Wingbacks get further forward into advanced positions.

In the build up Iborra and N'zonzi rotate in their roles, one takes the half back role and sits as a central defender whilst the other gets further forward and offers a passing option whilst the wingbacks take advanced positions upfield and
provide width.

The same concept takes place only the players have swapped positions this concept which was mentioned earlier on is called
la salida lavolpiana

Here is the concept in action (H)

Rotation In attack

Sevilla play two wide AP's on who stays closer to the flank and one who roams into the centre of the field, in these 2 seperate games it is Nasri and Jovetic vacating these positions, notice how the wingbacks have so much space to put a cross in, an overload is created in the centre of the field and the opposition full backs come out of position to press in turn leaving their position completely unvacated for the Wingbacks to run into.

The same thing takes place only on seperate flanks

Notice how many goals have come from situations such as this, almost 1 goal a game.

Defending from the front

Sampaoli's side have many, many different shapes and positions to press and defend from the front most unachievable to include within FM so there is no need to go into too much detail, but one common them in Sampaoli's pressing is having 3 men charge down the ball and another 4 waiting to either recycle possession, press forward if the ball breaks through the first line or surge forward on the attack.

Here is an example of this -

Front 3 charge down the ball whilst the other 4 remain in shape to come and recycle possession when the ball has been
lost

Here Sevilla have pinned the opposition back into their own half, the ball has went out for a throw in and the same positional co-ordinations are present.

Set-Pieces

Offensive Corners Sevilla usually have 5/6 Men in the box with 2 outside, sometimes the AMC in this photo goes short depending on the score of the match, A fast fullback and a defensively solid player is usually left at the half way line to make sure no opposition players can break away with the
ball.

Defensively Sevilla usually have either 7/8/9 Men in defence depending on the score, to put emphasise on counter attack one man leaves the post with 2 central players waiting on the half way line, this usually creates a 3 vs 2 on the the opposition defence usually a striker and the CAM left forward with a Winger waiting to carry the ball.

**Player Prefered Moves **

-
The Wing Back - Gets forward whenever possible, Plays one Twos, Knocks Ball past opponent

The Complete Wing Back- Gets forward whenever possible, Places shots, Plays one Two's, Knocks ball past opponent

The Ball Playing Defenders- Tries long range passes, Switches ball to opposite flank

The Half Back
- Most important position in the team Useful PPM's = Dictates Tempo, Long range passes, Shoots from distance (Longshots atleast 14)

The Box to Box Midfielder-
Comes deep to get ball, Arrives late in opposition area, shoots from distance, Moves into channels

The Attacking Midfielder-
Tries Killer balls, ***Comes deep to get ball***, Shoots from distance

The Advanced Playmakers-
Moves into channels, Plays one Twos, Comes deep to get ball

The Deep Lying forward-
Plays one Twos, gets into opposition area, cuts inside from both flanks

Overall Team Shape

Results Tactic tested for 2.5 Seasons with Osasuna and half a season with Sevilla

READ!

Make sure HB and BBM swap positions and The 2 AP swap positions is set in the player instructions.

This tactic will not win you every game but is an accurate FM representation of how Sampaoli plays his football.

Make sure you train your players in the recommended PPM's or the system wont be as effective.

DOWNLOAD

View attachment 96537

Last edited:
Looking forward to try it, once I have time on my hand again.

Gave this a go for a few games. I've been using 4231 tactics with my spurs side so I was happy it was around 90% already familiar on the tactics.
Going well but I've noticed the 3 defenders are not covering the space in between. What I mean is the opposition on seem to score by one of there players dribbling down the centre of the 2 defenders and the half back or from a cross where the opposition players is stood completely unmarked in the same area.

Is this the match engine or can changes be made to stop this? It's a shame because as I say it's looking good, playing really attractive football but I'm conceding the same goal all the time...

Last edited:
View attachment 96596 I've tried moving the half back central and making the defenders the same as a potential fix will report back if anyone else wants to try and it's ok with the creator

Last edited:
Wowwww !!!

Never seen such interesting and complete presentation.
I'll try it now.
Thanks a lot for this amazing job

Great write-up and analysis.

Big thumbs up!!!

Gave this a go for a few games. I've been using 4231 tactics with my spurs side so I was happy it was around 90% already familiar on the tactics.
Going well but I've noticed the 3 defenders are not covering the space in between. What I mean is the opposition on seem to score by one of there players dribbling down the centre of the 2 defenders and the half back or from a cross where the opposition players is stood completely unmarked in the same area.

Is this the match engine or can changes be made to stop this? It's a shame because as I say it's looking good, playing really attractive football but I'm conceding the same goal all the time...

I am aiming to try with moving HB to central position and setting AM to man mark one of opposition's midfielder to achieve 4 5 1 in defense. Might help.

The write-up alone deserves a try. But this ME won't encourage any wide 4231 setup.

like all the other comments, immense threat love it although the download doesn't seem to be working for me

wow. What an OP. The tactic needs to be descent as the opening post deserves it!

View attachment 1113189 I've tried moving the half back central and making the defenders the same as a potential fix will report back if anyone else wants to try and it's ok with the creator

Make sure your halfback and BBM can play both positions and try and train your team with the recommended PI's you will see the system falling into place a lot more successfully.

I LOVE the whole idea of this tactic, and it does have a Sampaoli feel to it(i watch alot of La Liga - as i dont really care for PL). The problem for me with this tactic is that its too vulnerable defensively, especially against 442. Just got thrashed 4-0 away against a team i normally beat. Even cheated and gave the players the PPMs to really see the tactic unfold. Do you have any idea to make the tactic stronger without losing the Sevilla/Sampaoli feel?

I LOVE the whole idea of this tactic, and it does have a Sampaoli feel to it(i watch alot of La Liga - as i dont really care for PL). The problem for me with this tactic is that its too vulnerable defensively, especially against 442. Just got thrashed 4-0 away against a team i normally beat. Even cheated and gave the players the PPMs to really see the tactic unfold. Do you have any idea to make the tactic stronger without losing the Sevilla/Sampaoli feel?

It may be because your playing a high line with a risky mentality trying to press a strong team away from home, especially if they have fast attackers who can take advantage of the space in behindand your players don't have the attributes to press quick enough and cut the supply. You have to adapt the tactic to different opposition for e.g playing Real Madrid away you will need to go for a more defensive/ balanced approach and use this tactic as a base, similar to what managers In real life do, if you notice your conceding goals from out wide a lot reduce the mentality of the wingbacks and get your wide players to track back, If you are looking vulnerable via the centre adjust your team shape to narrow and exploit the flanks.

Last edited:
have previously posted a few tactics on this forum creating FM18 and analysing the tactics of other managers and have decided to create an analysis video on YouTube. I was hoping anyone on this forum who is interested would take a look to help promote the video.

Here is the link -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV2b...ature=youtu.be