Timmzeh

Reaction score
Josep Branco / Realising a Dream - February 2015

View attachment 271257

My name is Josep Branco. I am 16 and Swedish, born and raised in the coastal town of Helsingborg. It's a really cool town, I have a lot of friends here and I have generally enjoyed my life here. Although, I always have felt that when I am old enough I will move away, in search of achieving my dreams.

View attachment 271235

The beautiful city of Helsingborg.

I have loved football ever since I can remember. My dad introduced me to the sport, and I was hooked. Although I paid attention to Swedish football, I always followed other European football more intensely. My favourite clubs are Liverpool and Barcelona, and my favourite players are Steven Gerrard and Lionel Messi. When I watched Steven Gerrard drag his Liverpool side back in Instanbul, 2005, all I wanted to do was be like him. I think Lionel Messi is the greatest player on the planet, the things he can do are unbelievable.

View attachment 271233 View attachment 271232

My idols.

When I joined my local side in Helsingborg, I was always better than the kids I played with. I have been playing with the age group that is 2 years above me since I was 11. We had reached the final of the local U16 Cup, which was played at Helsingborg's stadium. I scored 2 times, and we won the match 3-2! I was approached after receiving my medal by a tall, shaggy looking man. He explained that he was a scout for Halmstad, and that he wanted me to come and play with them..

View attachment 271227

Helsingborg's stadium, maybe I will be playing in front of this many people one day!

Halmstad is just up the coast from Helsingborg, so the next weekend me and my dad went up there. When I arrived, I spoke with the same scout, and the Head of Youth Development, Sebastian Demir. I was expecting to have to show them that I could play, but I signed a contract that morning, I was officially part of the youth setup at Halmstad!

So that is where I am know. I have just signed for Halmstad, I even earn 116 Swedish Corona a week (The equivalent of £9). My dad drives me there a few times every week for training, I haven't played a match for the youth side yet, but the U19 season starts soon, hopefully I can impress!

View attachment 271128

Josep Branco / Realising a Dream - November 2015

View attachment 271127

Wow, what a year! After the first two days of training, the manager called me into his office, he told me he was so impressed with what he had seen, I would be starting the first game of the season! A home game against Degefors in the Swedish Cup. I was buzzing! I had an OK game, it finished 1-1, a decent score. Although I was only 16 at the time, I felt I could compete with these guys, which I was surprised by. Maybe I was better than I thought?

On the 13th April, I scored my first proffessional goal for the club, even better it was an equaliser against Swedish giants Malmo! I hadn't started the game, I was brought on in the 75th minute, and scored in the 76th from a corner! What a moment that was, one which no matter what I do in my career, I will never forget.

View attachment 271088

The following game I was chosen to start, and I scored within 7 minutes. However we ended up loosing to Norrkoping 3-2, putting us out of the Swedish Cup.

View attachment 271086

It was at this point that the club realised I was an important part of the 1st team, despite not turning 17 until August. I was offered a full-time contract, 425 euros a week! This meant that I had to be at training every day, and I had to leave school. This was a huge change in my life. I still live with my parents, I have to travel an hour to and from Halmstad every day from my home in Helsingborg. This is a pain, I feel I am now old enough to live and support myself in Halmstad.

I have gained recognition from the Swedish Youth side, I have managed to play 8 times for Sweden U19s, the highlight was scoring 4 goals against Luxembourg!

View attachment 271083

The rest of the league seems like a blur, it doesn't feel long ago that I lived a normal teenage life, with dreams of becoming a footballer but never thinking it could become a reality. I am yet to start a league game which is disappointing, however I have come off the bench 12 times. I started a few games in the cup though. In total I have played in 17 games, and scored 5 goals, which I am pleased with.

View attachment 271084

The league doesn't look great for Halmstad, we finished 9th, which I guess isn't too bad as we were predicted to by fighting relegation. Hopefully we can climb the table next year!

View attachment 271085

I plan on training harder than ever over Winter, I want to be a huge part of the Halmstad 1st team next year! What a year.​

View attachment 270436

Josep Branco / Realising a Dream - February 2016

View attachment 270435

Just finished my first off-season as a professional footballer, that was a lot more intense than I had imagined! After a week's holiday with my Mum and Dad in the Algarve in Portugal I embarked on my off-season training programme. I wanted to become stronger, physically and technically, so I was good enough to cement a place in the 1st team next year after being a rotational option last year.

View attachment 270425

One sweet holiday!

I am on 425 euros a year, however that is set to rise by 15% when the season starts due to my yearly wage increase. I am only saving my income at the moment though, I want to move to Halmstad permanently so I don't have to drive here everyday from Helsingborg. Yes, I also passed my driving test in the Winter too!

One other thing, I was named on the bench for Halmstad's seasonal Best XI which is really pleasing as I was only 16 for the majority of the season. Hopefully come November I would've made the Starting XI!

View attachment 270426

Josep Branco / Realising a Dream - November 2016

View attachment 269956

Well, to be honest that was not the year I had hoped for when the season began back in February.

In all honesty, I have played really well. I just haven't been given the same chance I was given last season. In total I made 9 appearances for the 1st team and scored 4 goals, although many of these were from the bench. In the reserve and youth fixtures I have been really good though. I scored 19 goals in 27 games in non-competitive matches. I hoped the boss would have given me a chance when I am clearly too good for the reserves.

View attachment 269662

My season was slightly disrupted by injuries, the worst was a sports hernia which kept me out for 5 weeks towards the end of the season.

View attachment 269954

In July I played in the Euro U19 Championship, however I didn't play as well as I can, and Sweden were knocked out in the groups. It was a chance to play against some great talents though, like Hachim Mastour.

I have now moved to Halmstad and live on my own. This was a big step for me, but it was one that needed to happen as the journey each day was getting too much. I am still supported financially by my parents as I am earning only 425 euros a week. Soon I hope to be able to provide for myself. Halmstad didn't have the best season again, finishing 10th.

View attachment 269946

Next year I am expecting to be a much bigger part of the first team, if not I will not be happy, I have shown I am too good to be sitting in the reserves.

Last edited:
Great start mate, is that the wrong screenshot for season stats though?

View attachment 269638

Josep Branco / Realising a Dream - February 2017

After the disappointment of not getting enough game time last season, I knew that this season would be a vital one. I have been training well over the Winter, and I think I have come back a player who is strong enough to be in the 1st team.

When I returned to Halmstad after the Winter break, the new Manager wanted to speak to me that day. Jon Jansen had left Halmstad to join IFK Goteburg, Petter Andersson had been hired as the new manager over the Winter break. I stayed after training and spoke to him in his office. Firstly, he wanted to extend my contract. This meant that I got a slight pay increase to 500 Euros a week, and it also included a Release Clause of 1.5 Million Euros. So I knew that I had a way out should I be good enough for any of the big clubs to come knocking. It would be silly to think about that now though, I just need to concentrate on having a good season.

View attachment 269643

I was about to thank the Petter Andersson and leave, but he told me there was something else. He told me that he didn't think I would play in the 1st team this year, and that he wanted to send me out on loan. I was fuming! I had shown last year that I was good enough for the 1st team, I scored almost a goal per game in the Reserves side, and I had played really well in the league when I was given an opportunity. I told him what i thought, 'You can't be serious, I have been quality when given the opportunity I just need a run of games to show you how good I am! You are making a big mistake'. He just told me that I can show him what I am worth once I am on loan, and if I do perform then i will get a chance when I come back. I was not happy.

Only a few days later, I was sent on loan to Husqvarna, a 3rd tier Swedish side. I was about to tear the Swedish First Division South up!

View attachment 269642

Husqvarna dont have any out an out strikers apart from me, so I was happy I was going to get a chance here. They had recently been relegated from the 2nd tier, so Husqvarna are predicted to be one of the leading sides in the division.

View attachment 269637

Petter Andersson has been in Denmark the last few years playing for FC Midtjyland. He seems to think he knows the Danish market, and days after I was sent on loan, he signed a young striker from FC Copenhagen for 6k. It seemed like he was just trying to irritate me!

View attachment 269641

He didn't know it, but Jonas Bagger had just made an enemy. I was so determined to show Petter that I was the better player, there was no way Jonas Bagger was better than me, and I was going to prove it to everyone. I have never been so motivated!

View attachment 269639

A big year is ahead of me.

Josep Branco / Realising a Dream - November 2017

View attachment 269618

So I was sent out on loan to Husqvarna for the season, a small Semi-Pro team who play in the 3rd tier of Swedish football. I was used to playing in front of 10,000 fans for Halmstad's 1st team, but I would be playing in front of around 1,000 fans a game at Husqvarna's small stadium.

View attachment 269619

All in all, I think I have had a brilliant year. In 17 league games for Husqvarna I scored 12 goals, I was the top scorer in the division, despite missing 9 games through injury! I think it is fair to say that I have shown I am too good for this level, I need playing time in Sweden's top tier.

View attachment 269617

View attachment 269616

We had a great season as a team as well at Husqvarna. Despite leading the league for a while, we ended up finishing 2nd, and won promotion in a play-off. A great season, we outdid expectations.

View attachment 269615

As for Halmstad, they have not had a great year. They finished with the worst points total since I joined the club, and struggled to compete. It seems Petter Andersson has not had the best start to his managerial career. Also for the first time since 2012, Malmo didn't win the league, and finished all the way down in 5th.

View attachment 269614

I am still not happy with Petter Andersson, I told him that he was making a mistake, and I have now proven it. I was too good for the 3rd tier of Swedish football, I think I could have had a major impact on Halmstad's season should he have let me.

The media have taken notice of the situation between myseld and Andersson too. They have heard I am not happy at the club, and with my contract running out at the end of next year, there are question marks over whether I will sign a new deal or not. Petter Andersson doesn't seem so worried though..

View attachment 269612

View attachment 269611

Oh, and Jonas Bagger, who Petter Andersson seemed to sign to 'replace' me? He had a great season.. haha.

View attachment 269609

View attachment 269608

In many ways, myself and Jonas are very similar it is scary. We have the same initials, we are exactly the same height, and we play the same position. The only difference is I am the better player, and Petter Andersson better have realised it.

The off-season may be filled with many surprises, I have no idea what is going to happen. Will Petter Andersson have realised his mistake? If not, I am sure I will not be happy at Halmstad.

View attachment 269568

Josep Branco / Realising a Dream / February 2018

View attachment 269565

Well that was an eventful off-season! As I had expected, I couldn't have predicted what was going to happen!

Thats right, I have joined Malmo FF from Halmstad, for a fee of 650k, however depending on other clauses it could rise to 1.3 Million Euros. It is hard to believe someone somewhere is willing to pay that much money for me! There were a few other clubs fighting for me, as well as Malmo, AIK and IFK Goteborg had bids accepted for me.

View attachment 269559

I have signed a pretty nice new contract too, I am earning 1.8k per week, or 94k a year! Easily enough to support myself. I am classed as a back-up at the moment, but I think as long as I can put in the performances I know I can, that will soon change.

View attachment 269558

Malmo finished 5th last season, after winning the league for 5 seasons in a row before that! We have a chance at playing in the Europa League this season if we get through the qualifiers, a shame as I would've loved the chance to play in the Champions League, hopefully one day I can though.

View attachment 269561

View attachment 269560

I know it will be much harder at Malmo FF to get in the team and play games, but I am confident in my ability and hope I will be given a chance at this huge Swedish club! The Swedebank Stadium can hold 24,000 people, I am so excited to be playing in front of that many passionate fans!

View attachment 269553

Oh and Jonas Bagger, is he the new striker for Halmstad? He has been sold back to Denmark for 74k, seems that Peter Andersson wasn't so keen on him after all!

View attachment 269556

Last edited: