ravenie

Reaction score
Here we go Again- a story by Ravenie

Hi. I'm Chris, I'm 30 and I'm a mess. The story of my life starts here. Where am I exactly? Nowhere. Like I said, I'm a mess. I used to have it pretty good you know, I used to be a pretty good footballer. I enjoyed a playing career at such illustrious clubs as Hearts, Blackburn and West Ham. West Ham.....ah... It all returns to me now. It was 2004, I was younger, in better shape. We had won 3 games on the bounce and were pushing for promotion. I remember that day so well, I think about it everyday and I wonder what might have been if it didn't happen.

The it I am referring to is when I broke my leg. I feel like a bit of a clown looking back on it actually...We were playing Coventry City, and I being a defender went in on a hard challenge on Marcus Hall, a player let's say I particularly despised. I made quite a fatal error, as he also went for the ball significantly more aggressive than I. He.....I'm sorry...he didn't ever make contact with the ball...but my leg felt the full force of it. My leg had to be amputated and I was told that I would never play football again. Imagine something that you really love and have a passion for, like art or dancing. And being told that you can never do it again. Never again. I didn't want to believe it. But it was true....I was never to play football again

What does everyone think of my opening paragraph? :)

If you do take a look at my story I would love to hear some comments.

Last edited:
I've heard alot of stories but I can say with some force that this is the first story of an apparent 'one legged' manager...
Keep it up mate this sounds like its going to be wacky at least, I'm not even sure you can kick a football with one leg yet alone stand on the pitch for hours coaching them.....dont tell me, a wheelchair?

No, I'll be wearing a prosthetic leg. (no offence intended whatsoever, and I cannot stress that enough as it is a story)

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:15 PM ----------

Anyway, after being told I was never to play football again I was determined to remain in the game at all costs. I took my coaching badges in an attempt to stay in the game. If there was anything else I wanted to be more than a professional footballer it was a manager. I idolised such greats as Bill Shankly and Jock Stein. I wanted to bring success to clubs just like they had done.

And last year from July 2009 to September 2009 I did have a job at a team. A team in the Football League Championship known as Queens Park Rangers. I had a great squad with some really talented footballers and had a brilliant gang of staff behind the scenes. Everything was perfect and I was happy at the club, but there was one issue.....
Flavio Briatore.

Me and my assistant Simon Hunt (a very good friend of mine) had a discussion about Briatore prior to joining QPR. Simon told me that if I did not bring instant success to the club then I would be given the chop. But since I had already known Flavio before joining the club I knew I would have a good working relationship with him. Simon wasn't so convinced but when he saw what salary he was offered he jumped at the chance to work for QPR.

I do remember my first game in charge. We were playing Doncaster at Loftus Road, I had sent out my strongest line up along with some players I had acquired like Adel Taarabt and Ben Watson. Unfortunately for me the game was a complete disaster. We missed oppurtunity after oppurtunity and Doncaster put away 4 on counter attacks. The results like the latter kept on coming and I kept on reading in the press about my imminent sacking. It was depressing. The next part however, is more horrifying than depressing.

I remember the date quite clearly. It was 29th September and I had been called in by Briatore for a "meeting". It was cold outside, and it was cold inside me (metaphorically speaking). Simon told me to prepare for the worst, this was far more worse than I had expected.

He welcomed me into the room and told me to sit down. "Chris, eh things have no been a working out. I am afraid that to save QPR's season we are going to have to replace you, the performances have been less than pleasing and I am no sure that a you are good enough for a the jobba, so in the words of the ***-....successful Alan Sugar, You're Fired". I felt like crying, I had failed. I had let myself down. All I could say was "I-I....understand, I wish you and the club all the luck in the future."

Then he slapped me. I held my hand on my face and looked at him, glaring with a disgusted stare. "Did you just ******* do what I think you did?! What the **** Flavio? Why did you do that!?". He looked at me for a minute and then he finally said slowly and quietly.. "That was my line Harris, I the part where I wish you all the luck in the future.". I was furious, I cannot believe he slapped me because I fluffed up my script........forget that last part.

"I'm leaving, I don't want anything to do with QPR and more importantly, nothing to do with you.." I headed towards the door and as I reached for the handle he spoke again. "There is another option Harris." he stepped towards me and got closer and closer....."You. Can kiss me right now and I will let you keep your job.". I was stunned, however I'm not an idiot.

"No thanks. You're not my type. And I'm NOT Gay". I stormed out the door and slammed it behind me.

The months went by as I pondered what would have happened if I had- godsave me- kissed him....

A year later I was about to go to my psychologist when I had a phone call.

I answered it. It was my assistant Simon Hunt. I had a job offer....

Last edited:
Great start here mate, really good detail, will defo be following. Could you check otu my story pls and comment on it :)

Sure Calder. Thanks for the comment :)

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

"Simon. It's been a long time. Had much work lately?"
"I'm afraid not Chris, work is hard to come by these days."
"So what can I do you for Simon?"
"There is an offer. A job offer". I stopped for a moment, after the 3 months of pain at QPR could I bring myself to get back into the game.
Simon told me which club wanted me to become their new manager.
I hesitated. "....... At least it isn't QPR anyway."
"This is a great oppurtunity for you Chris, you can make a name for yourself once again, prove the media wrong. Prove everybody who doubted you wrong. And most importantly prove yourself wrong."

"I'm not sure I have the emotional capacity to go there though Simon...it...brings too many memories. I'm not sure I'd be able to cope there. I might lose my head..."
"That's why I'm here silly! I've kept you sane the past year have I not? And besides......"
"Besides what?" I was curious as to what he was insinuating..
"He is not there anymore Chris. He was released and then he retired. You won't have to face him. You'll get a good salary, they have great players."
"Could I be the one to get them up to the Premier League though Simon?" After all these years of not playing football it had placed me on very low confidence. Last years spell at QPR was not a good thing either. Although I was slightly more cheered up when I saw that Briatore had gone through".

Magilton, Hart, Harford and Warnock. And me.

However I would have to face my fear eventually. I knew there was no hiding, this was a great opportunity and I knew it. How long would I wait for work again? I came to my decision, I would take the job, for me and for Simon who is deserving of a role and well some work.

Ironically I would be starting a job at the club where it all ended.

Coventry.

its a good story but for me its a bit too wordy.:S
thats just my opinion

Thanks for commenting. I'm just building up at the moment.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Anybody following. Sorry if I sound impatient. I am a rather impatient individual.

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:12 PM ----------

Will try to post an update everyday if there are followers.

*Subscribes*
Like I said, sounds like this is going to be 'different' at the very least XD
Keep up the updates, maybe add some pictures for the pre season?
A story with a guy who uses a prosthetic limb and the build up at QPR, surely there is alot of media attention around it thats all :)
Looking forward to the start mate

Cheers Jimmer and mkdmkdmkd. Will be doing pre-season today :)

So I was to be announced as manager of Coventry City F.C. at a press conference in the afternoon. And boy I was nervous.

Me and Simon had already met up with chairman Ray Ranson and agreed personal terms, he seemed like a nice guy..well at least he wasn't a pervert. He told us that the press conference would be at 2pm.

The time passed by rather quickly and I was nervously anticipating the questions from the media.
"Simon what if they ask me about my last spell, what if they ask me why I left...."
"You got sacked. Remember?" Nice sucker punch Simon.
We then got told by a guy to go into the conference room. Me, Simon and Ray took a seat and an array of photos were taken very quickly. I felt like a rabbit dazzled by light waiting to be captured by the hunter.....Not really.
"Mr Harris, you start a job at Coventry City today. Is this your dream job?"
"Em.....well.....Not exactly. However I feel I have a great oppurtunity here to bring the club forward"
"Mr Harris, what do you expect from your players at Coventry?"
"I expect all of my players to do their best and work hard."
"And if they don't?"
"Then, they can leave quietly"
They continued to ask several different questions (one asked me about my preferred hair colour....) and then the conference was concluded. Then it was time to meet the players.

Unfortunately I couldn't get Simon to be my assistant so I got him a scouting job instead. So instead I'm stuck with Martyn Pert, he has the BIGGEST nose I have ever seen in my life. But anyway I met the players ahead of our friendly with the reserves.
"So. My name is Mr Harris, but you can call me Chris. I will look to get the best out of each and everyone of you, if you do not perform to the best of your potential then you shall be sold, or end of with those guys." As I pointed to the reserves warming up.
"I am looking to play a counter attacking 4-3-3 with us looking to soak up the pressure and then breaking on the counter attack. We will be playing with winge-...." I was then interrupted rather rudely by a player who I did not the name of.
"You're playing 4-3-3...with wingers. That means only 1 striker will get to play"
"Yes...that is what I said"
"There are 5 strikers here, who will be your first choice?" He asked the question very well and I hesitated for a moment. Fortunately Martyn Pest...Pert intervened.
"That is what Chris wants you to show him over the course of pre-season lads. Now go out there and show us what you can do!" The players left the dressing room and went out to play.
"Thanks Martyn, who was that player?"
"Marlon King. He is just sad because he really liked the previous manager here, Aidy Boothroyd."
That gave me plenty to think about.

The players seemed to adapt to the formation pretty well. The player who had complained scored the opening goal. And it was pleasing to see Roy O'Donovan-who had struggled to get a 1st team appearance under Boothroyd-get on the scoresheet twice.

It looked like everything would be fine. For now.

Then I looked at my phone.....the caller ID

Flavio
Briatore

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

What does everyone think of my last update? May do another tonight.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Just wondering guys. How do I add screenshots? I think it is at the attachments button but all it seems to be doing is taking me to the Stories section.

So it's been a while since the reserve game and the shock of Briatore phoning me. By the way I hung up on him, and blocked his number. I didn't want anymore hassle, I was determined to enjoy myself at Coventry whereas I had been frozen out of the scene at QPR.

I couldn't be bothered with pre-season to be honest, so I let Simon take charge of all the games except the last one vs. Hinckley which I would be taking charge of. Here is our results from our friendlies that Simon took charge of.

View attachment 120075

I wasn't very pleased with the results at first, but he sent me some videos of highlights during the game which showed that some of the scorelines were not completely justified.

I took charge of our last pre-season friendly before the start of the season. We were playing Hinckley, a non league side who would attempt to frustrate us, I was adamant that we would record a comfortable victory over the lesser side. I told my players what I told them on the first match day, impress me now because this is your last chance to prove you deserve to play in the first team. Here is what happened.

View attachment 120076

We played well in this game, I was rather satisfied with the performance. We were very comfortable and as you can see Hinckley did not cause us much trouble.

Me and Simon agreed on one thing together unanimously, our starting 11. We were very confident that the team we put together would be able to do well in the Championship. My 4-3-3 that I had stolen from some tactical genius named Eds. I hope his counter attacking philosophy would be able to do us justice in the Championship.

View attachment 120077
We also have two new faces that we welcomed in the Transfer Window.

Seamus Coleman an attacking wing back on loan from Everton who I am sure can make the right back position his own.
View attachment 120079

And my favourite transfer out of the 2 and now my favourite forward I'm sure veteran Tomas Oravec can spearhead my attack this season.
View attachment 120078

And there we have it. I am so ready to start this season, I have never felt so confident in my life about a team and I know that they will give their all in every game, because if they don't. They will be dealt with.

Looks like I'm on a Journey for Destiny, let's hope it turns out well.