Craig01

Reaction score
Playing as Liverpool with a 4-2-3-1 formation. 2 CBs, 2 FB, 2 CM, 2 AML/R, 1 AMC and 1 ST - see below:

I just can't get the best out of Mata, he isn't scoring many goals, has only scored 4 all season (36 games in, nearly over), with 11 assists in all competitions - which I think is a bit poor considering the 30m price tag.

I'm using classic tactic settings as you can see. Has anybody got any advice as to how to play him?

Cheers! :D

Hmm, you've got crossing on often from the byline but telling him to cut inside onto his weaker foot.
I'd keep him running out wide with his great pace and ability to get past people.

I've given him the PPM's runs down the left and drops deep and he gets 15-20 assists a season easily.

Btw how is downing doing? you have two left footed wingers, downing would be cutting inside onto his stronger foot.

Change his wide play for sure. If are relying on him for crosses use hugs touchline and cross from byline, but I think his finishing attributes are so good that if you set it to normal wideplay and cross from: mixed, he'll score more goals (his ppm's cause him to drift towards goal anyway).

I think that since Mata is such a good finisher with great PPM's for sneaking into the box, you might consider using somebody at AMR who is focused on providing service from wider rather than an inside forward. Mata can put in a good cross but he is even better at getting on the end of a hard cross or through ball from the other flank (see his PPM's and superb off the ball movement). If you use an inside forward AMR I think you will have too many people clogging up the middle of the park with nobody providing service from wide, since Mata tends to like to move into the penalty area. But you could try the other suggestions first if you are unsure about changing up your AMR just yet.

In my Valencia save, just for reference, Joaquin (excellent crosser) had better than .5 assists per game as winger/attack and Mata getting 1 goal per 3 matches and 1 assist per 3 matches as winger/support, during my 4 seasons with the team. One more thing: you might not be considering his attacking runs/dribbles which don't always end in an assist or goal but do provide a boost to your team, perhaps ending in a goal that someone else assisted on or at least creating chances for you.

what was his other stats ( average rating etc)
I've just gone back to a previous save so I'll attach the screenshot of his stats from last season up below.

Hmm, you've got crossing on often from the byline but telling him to cut inside onto his weaker foot.
I'd keep him running out wide with his great pace and ability to get past people.

I've given him the PPM's runs down the left and drops deep and he gets 15-20 assists a season easily.

Btw how is downing doing? you have two left footed wingers, downing would be cutting inside onto his stronger foot.

Great advice, I really didn't realise that he was left footed only, so to speak. Cheers mate I will give that a try.

Downing had a really good start to the season and ended up being a bit lacklustre towards the end of the season, finished 36 games with 14 assists and 3 goals - slightly better than Mata and that was cutting inside from the right being left footed. I've managed to get Pedro Leon from Madrid for 4.5m for the start of the second season so I'm gonna be seeing how he gets on in place of Downing on the right. He did contribute quite a lot to general play though.

Change his wide play for sure. If are relying on him for crosses use hugs touchline and cross from byline, but I think his finishing attributes are so good that if you set it to normal wideplay and cross from: mixed, he'll score more goals (his ppm's cause him to drift towards goal anyway).

I think that since Mata is such a good finisher with great PPM's for sneaking into the box, you might consider using somebody at AMR who is focused on providing service from wider rather than an inside forward. Mata can put in a good cross but he is even better at getting on the end of a hard cross or through ball from the other flank (see his PPM's and superb off the ball movement). If you use an inside forward AMR I think you will have too many people clogging up the middle of the park with nobody providing service from wide, since Mata tends to like to move into the penalty area. But you could try the other suggestions first if you are unsure about changing up your AMR just yet.

In my Valencia save, just for reference, Joaquin (excellent crosser) had better than .5 assists per game as winger/attack and Mata getting 1 goal per 3 matches and 1 assist per 3 matches as winger/support, during my 4 seasons with the team. One more thing: you might not be considering his attacking runs/dribbles which don't always end in an assist or goal but do provide a boost to your team, perhaps ending in a goal that someone else assisted on or at least creating chances for you.

Will definitely be changing him to hug the touchline and cross from the byline. Using him in this position would you recommend telling him not to roam from position or not?

Thanks very much for the advice both of you, it's much appreciated. I will let you know how he gets on. As long as he doesn't get injured that is; Suarez has just been put out for 7 months...Sigh!

Last edited:
What do you want Mata to do? Score or assist? Or both???

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

If you want him to score then you gotta change your tactic maybe but him as a AMC that may work! And use him as a Poacher.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

If you want him to assist then put him AMC and then make him Playmaker and see if Downing or your AMC currently will go left wing and right wing

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

If you want both then make him a AMC see if Downing or your current AMC will go down he left. Then make Mata playmaker and Poacher.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Hope this helped. Sorry I had to do it in stages as my PC keeps lagging.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Ok sorry

Great advice, I really didn't realise that he was left footed only, so to speak. Cheers mate I will give that a try.

Downing had a really good start to the season and ended up being a bit lacklustre towards the end of the season, finished 36 games with 14 assists and 3 goals - slightly better than Mata and that was cutting inside from the right being left footed. I've managed to get Pedro Leon from Madrid for 4.5m for the start of the second season so I'm gonna be seeing how he gets on in place of Downing on the right. He did contribute quite a lot to general play though

That's not at all bad for Downing.
But yeah Mata is pretty much completely left footed so you either have to play him on the left as a winger or on the right as an inside forward, he tends to struggle doing both I find. He gets a solid 6-7 dribbles a game easily for me and often fires in crosses for necid/neymar.

Seeing as though your CAM moves forward turn off roaming, keep him out on the right. He'll drop inside a little naturally but he does well out wide, if you can get him to drop a little deeper too it can make for great counter attacks.

Btw if you're after a AMR, try and see if you can get Douglas Costa(12.5mil I've gotten him for) and retrain him to AMR, great with both feet and his free kicks are lethal.

Also put him as stay forward on defending corners.