Juan Mata or David Silva?

Alcaraz

Reaction score
25363.jpg
14102.jpg

Juan Mata and David Silva. Both of these Spaniards are widely regarded as the most creative players in the EPL. Remarkably similar playing styles, both Juan Mata and David Silva have been integral to the way their team play. Cheif Creators for their sides Chelsea and Manchester City respectively, it has been evident that when one of these Spaniards is not playing, their team suffers.

David Silva is being qidely touted as the best player in the Premiere League while Juan Mata has certainly received his fair share of plaudits for his performances

So my question is which former Valencia man would you choose to be in your team?

I would choose Juan Mata

Analayzing it from a statistical stand-point, both Juan Mata and David Silva by a remarkable coincidence have made 28 appearances in the PLM with 3 of them being as a subsititute giving us a nice platform to work with.

Both Juan Mata and David Silva have scored 6 goals in the Premiere League this season. David Silva slightly edges Juan Mata in the assists column, Silva having provided 12 assists to Juan Mata's 11.

However the most remarkable comparison can be made in the key passes per game. It is here where Juan Mata really shines having made 3.1 key passes per game to David Silva's 2.7 key passes per game

The Key passes per game stat tells us that Juan Mata creates far more goal-scoring opportunites for his team-mates than David Silva. Its just that unlike David Silva, he does not have the company of world-class strikers who can finish them off.

This is despite the fact that Juan Mata has been playing more games than David Silva. While David Silva was excellent in the first half of the season leading Manchester City to a 8 point lead at the top of the table, his performances have tailed off drastically in the second half of the season and this has coincided with Manchester City's poor run of form.

Hence, in my opinion Juan Mata has been better than David Silva over the course of this season. If I had started this Thread in December last year then David Silva would have won by some distance no doubt but over the whole season, it is Juan Mata who wins it for me.​

David Silva is better. Stats may say otherwise but Silva makes the team tick when he is on song his team are so fluid and nearly unstoppable. IMO Mata goes missing for large parts of the game then pops up with goal or assist, same can't be said about Silva.

He is playing with injury and nearly non stop football with out any break from last 2-3 years so it is understandable that he is exhausted.

Give the choice I would take Silva. Easy choice.

I'd go for Silva, he's suffered from injury recently but without injury he runs the team. Mata on the other hand can create goals but that's about it. He doesn't always deliver and is hardly seen for some matches.

David Silva and that is in my unbiased Man City opinion :p

David Silva is better. Stats may say otherwise but Silva makes the team tick when he is on song his team are so fluid and nearly unstoppable. IMO Mata goes missing for large parts of the game then pops up with goal or assist, same can't be said about Silva.

He is playing with injury and nearly non stop football with out any break from last 2-3 years so it is understandable that he is exhausted.

Give the choice I would take Silva. Easy choice.

Juan Mata goes missing for large parts because he is forced to drop deep for large parts of the game due to our lack of a deep-lying playmaker. Mata has solely taked on the creative burden of Chelsea and has shined. As I proved through my stats Juan Mata has infact played more games than David Silva this season yet has outshined him

David Silva also has much better players around him while the same cannot be said of Juan Mata. Right now I think David Silva is better than Juan Mata but in 3-4 seasons, Juan will eclipse him

I'd go for Silva, he's suffered from injury recently but without injury he runs the team. Mata on the other hand can create goals but that's about it. He doesn't always deliver and is hardly seen for some matches.

When does Silva always deliver? He has not scored or assisted a goal since January in the PLM and mind you, Juan Mata is being forced to play on 3 fronts while Silva only has the PLM to concentrate on

Plus both Mata and Silva have scored the same number of goals. Dont see how Mata just creates goals. Silva has tailed off drastically this season while Juan Mata has maintained his form. Also Juan Mata has not suffered injuires despite playing more than Silva

Juan Mata goes missing for large parts because he is forced to drop deep for large parts of the game due to our lack of a deep-lying playmaker. Mata has solely taked on the creative burden of Chelsea and has shined. As I proved through my stats Juan Mata has infact played more games than David Silva this season yet has outshined him

David Silva also has much better players around him while the same cannot be said of Juan Mata. Right now I think David Silva is better than Juan Mata but in 3-4 seasons, Juan will eclipse him

Mata played more games this season is not the valid reason, as I said from 2-3 years Silva haven't got any rest. He is completely exhausted thanks to brilliant Mancini.

I wouldn't say Mata has outshined Silva. Stats wont tell the full story.

And you answered your question with "RIght now Silva is better" thats what I was saying. In 3-4 years? I dont know. I dont know how he improves and how Silva improves.

Also looking at Silva's defensive stats, he wins more tackles and more interceptions than Mata.

Mata played more games this season is not the valid reason, as I said from 2-3 years Silva haven't got any rest. He is completely exhausted thanks to brilliant Mancini.

I wouldn't say Mata has outshined Silva. Stats wont tell the full story.

And you answered your question with "RIght now Silva is better" thats what I was saying. In 3-4 years? I dont know. I dont know how he improves and how Silva improves.

Mata has not got any rest either. Your missing the point. He has actually played more games this season than Silva. He has been surrounded by far poorer team-mates than Silva. Yet he has outshined Silva in most departments. Silva is the better player but Juan has peformed better than him this season

Also looking at Silva's defensive stats, he wins more tackles and more interceptions than Mata.

Thats a pretty **** comparison. Its like trying to say that Rooney is a better striker than RVP because he wins more tackles. Both Juan and Silva's job is not to win tackles but to assist and score goals so the fact that Silva makes more tackles is pretty irrelevant in my opinion

Mata has not got any rest either. Your missing the point. He has actually played more games this season than Silva. He has been surrounded by far poorer team-mates than Silva. Yet he has outshined Silva in most departments. Silva is the better player but Juan has peformed better than him this season

You can take some stats like key passes and say Mata has done better but that doesn't mean he did. Without Silva it was clear how much City struggles and he is the main creator of the team. Silva is playing even though he is injured so only his performances have dropped.

Ok, Mata has 17 (Goals and assists) in 28+3 league games. (0.54 per game)
Silva has 18 (goals and assists) in 28+3 league games. Better than Mata.
Young has 12 (Goals and assists) in 16+5 league games (0.57)

Who has done better? Like I said you can use stats and prove anything.

Also Giggs has 10 goals and assists in 12 starts and 11 subs. If you go by mins per assist/goal he would top the chart.

Edit: Also you said Mata is the only creator, so its obvious why he averages more key passes per game as everything goes through him. Silva has better options so he wont be going for key passes every time he gets the ball.

Thats a pretty **** comparison. Its like trying to say that Rooney is a better striker than RVP because he wins more tackles. Both Juan and Silva's job is not to win tackles but to assist and score goals so the fact that Silva makes more tackles is pretty irrelevant in my opinion

Lol, both are midfielders right? Not strikers so I would consider defensive side of the game. It all helps team, it helps to regain possession, why should this stat be ignored for a midfielder.?

Edit: Regardless of tackles Rooney is better striker ;)

Last edited:
Definitely Silva, in fact I would go so far as to say Mata isn't even the second best.. Nasri is better, as are a few others, probably.

The reason why i dont rate players with these stats is going by stats Lucio is the best CB in the world this season. He averages more Tackles+interceptions+clearances per game than any CB. But this season he has been atrocious.

The reason why stats wont give complete proof.

2012%2f3%2fAll-Round-DCs.jpg

The reason why i dont rate players with these stats is going by stats Lucio is the best CB in the world this season. He averages more Tackles+interceptions+clearances per game than any CB. But this season he has been atrocious.

You cannot measure a player with 3 stats, you have to factor in mistakes and other things e.g how many conceded with him in the slteam

You cannot measure a player with 3 stats, you have to factor in mistakes and other things e.g how many conceded with him in the slteam

Err that's what I said about stats right.. Stats wont tell full story. Key passes or chances created alone are not enough.

Surely it is not accurate to show how good a player had been if you use different stats for each player

If you add Lucio's it comes to 17.8 but the total says 19.8. Its not rocket science to conclude he averages 2 (aerial + blocks) per game,

first off, stats dont make the player. I hate stats. Stats are disgusting. so even without the stats, I'd say Mata. He's been influential for us, and Alcaraz correctly pointed out that he goes missing exactly because of the missing DLP.

Silva is very good player, in fact he is a great player, and if we didnt have Mata in our team, I'd take Silva any day. But I wouldnt swap Mata for Silva, ever. We just need a xavi in our team, and Mata/Torres and co. will shine.