Just bought fm14 - cant win a game to save my life :(

adamC

Reaction score
Hello,

As title states, finding it nearly impossible to win a game. Ive been playing football manager since it came out, and championship manager before that so ive got experience with the franchise.

Im playing as wigan (who are pretty good by championship stakes).

The main issue is that I just concede so easily, teams just run past my players as if they arent there and repeatedly do perfect through balls which result in goals, like every highlight.

Then theres just no attacking threat at all, they can barely put 2 passes together.

Im at a loss :(

Any ideas?

Go onto the steam workshop and see if there is any tactics you can download to help you. It helped me a lot

some times when you start a new save the stupid game makes it so the players dont know who you are so they disrespect you and never respond to anything you say, meaning you cant motivate any of them. the match engine is also retarded, i was united playing frankfurt in the champions league group stages and i scored 4 own goals i dunno how but sometimes the engine just wants you to lose 5 games in a row...

ive tried a few different things... the only way i can win a game is by going on holiday through it lol.

every goal conceded is either from a through ball the the defenders couldnt be arsed dealing with, or a defensive mistake :/ or suddenly huddersfield turn into barcelona and rip me apart by one touch football

There are good guides around that will help you build your own tactics. If winning is all that matters, then downloading a tactic is easier.

some times when you start a new save the stupid game makes it so the players dont know who you are so they disrespect you and never respond to anything you say, meaning you cant motivate any of them. the match engine is also retarded, i was united playing frankfurt in the champions league group stages and i scored 4 own goals i dunno how but sometimes the engine just wants you to lose 5 games in a row...
implying (wrongly) that the game is fixed doesn't help anybody.

View attachment 622461View attachment 622461View attachment 622463Here are my tactics that I made for Ajax might help you out
go in game, press alt and f9 on the screen that you want to screenshot, then when you're on fm-base and want to post a screenshot, click the 'insert image' button, then 'from computer', then choose file. On windows it is my documents>sports interactive>Football manager 2014>screenshots, pick the screenshot and upload. It's just easier to see it!

im starting to think its a bug or somethin

95% of the goals i concede are exactly the same. through ball by the opposition, my defenders looking like they are running through treacle, and their attackers going freely 1v1 on keeper.

im not pushing up, not playing offside trap etc, tried man marking, tried zonal, tried press more, press less

If you're always conceding goals in the same way then my guess would be that it's an issue with your tactics (or maybe your defenders are just bad). My advice would be to check out the tactics forum and see if there's anything that works for you there.

95% of the goals i concede are exactly the same

This is a give away sign that it's your tactics. If you see the same thing happening against you, it's because you're letting it happen.

Lets examine what you've noticed.

through ball by the opposition,
This could mean that you're playing too wide of that they have a man between the lines (ACM) who's not being closed down and thus has time to pick a pass.

my defenders looking like they are running through treacle
Low anticipation or concentration means that they were most likely caught on the back foot and not expecting the move.

and their attackers going freely 1v1 on keeper
There is too much space between your GK and Defensive line, usually caused by an aggressive mentality but with CB's who have low concentration of poor positioning. Playing a Sweeper Keeper may help here but it will not fix it.

Feel sorry for you for buying it lol

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

95% of the goals i concede are exactly the same. through ball by the opposition, my defenders looking like they are running through treacle, and their attackers going freely 1v1 on keeper.

im not pushing up, not playing offside trap etc, tried man marking, tried zonal, tried press more, press less

If you post up your tactics, people can give you some pointers. At the moment, we'd just be guessing.

By the way, there's only Zonal marking in FM. You can specific man-mark, but you shouldn't use that on the whole team. That's reserved for one or two dangermen you'd like to keep quiet. Even then, you have to sort of know what you're doing.

drop deeper/use faster defenders could help

will try and get them uploaded soon. really not liking this version. one thing currently getting on my nerves is a player constantly being jaded and in need of a rest. They are 100% fit before the match and in superb condition.. then after they are not fit for the next game and always jaded in need of a rest.

They have 16 strength, 14 stamina, 16 natural fitness. that shouldnt be happening

also my defenders are really good, especially for the championship. 3 of them would probably push for a place in any prem team

will try and get them uploaded soon. really not liking this version. one thing currently getting on my nerves is a player constantly being jaded and in need of a rest. They are 100% fit before the match and in superb condition.. then after they are not fit for the next game and always jaded in need of a rest.

They have 16 strength, 14 stamina, 16 natural fitness. that shouldnt be happening

Fitness has nothing to do with him being jaded. If you right click on him, there will be an option to send him on a week or two holiday. I think it's under "Squad". That'll help. He has played too many games with no rest.

Rarely happens in my experience. You must be doing something wrong.