tm10adp

Reaction score
Hey guys. Recently started FM 17 with Juve and after a great start of the season with 9-10 wins in a row, the steam started to perform really bad, drawing or losing any other 1 or 2 games. The thing is, I haven't made any tactical changes and didn't had major injury problems.

Pic 1 you can see my results, Chievo loss, Sporting loss, Napoli loss, Bologna draw are too
much as I played with my best team, rest of loses I used many subs as I was resting my starting 11 for CL games.

View attachment 109118

Pic 2,3,4,5 I used 2 tactics, similar, with PI to try shorter passing (except CAM), less shooting, fewer risky passing (wingers, DMs, AF)
View attachment 109114View attachment 109115View attachment 109116View attachment 109117

Pic 3 My tactic and my best result so far, beating the current leaders
View attachment 109113View attachment 109112

My problem at the moment is that I concede a lot and can't win more than 1 game out of 2 and the games I win, I usually do it by luck with my opponent having more shots and being much more of a threat in my half. Most of my success at the beginning was with 3-4-1-2 I used against Inter. I managed to improve a bit by using tac (2 DMCs), the first one of the 2 posted here, but with this tactic, I saw Fiorentina pushing me all the game and playing in my own half. I had to switch to 3-4-1-2 to get a 1-0 win.
Another problem is a opposition's free-kicks. I have all my DCs to man mark and I see 1-2 of them doing just this
View attachment 109111

My tactical idea is this: I want to play some possession football, I don't want to expose to counters, I want my attackers to score and defenders to defend...I don't see the point of super fluid game plan because a defender will most likely mishit that final shoot / cross / pass...I saw that far too often IRL from Lichsteiner. I like my Wingers / wingbacks to track bank and I tried to use man marking specific players (opposition's AML/R, ML/R) but with no real success and I want them to cross / pass I don't need them to finish or to create on their own. I got the best out of them for the attack as Wingers with support duty but on the defensive part they are not helping me as IRL. My 3 DEF are looking very idiotic and letting players unmarked in the box and I concede because I have 3 DEF and only 1 striker and he's unmarked....3 vs 1 and he's unmarked...is this because of playing Bonucci on cover duty? I do that because I don't want long balls to flow above my defence and let quick opposition's players to move into space and meed the long ball.
As for the OI I ask so close down and show onto weaker foot ST, AMLR, ML, WBLR (only weaker foot).

What am I doing wrong? If you need more info I'll gladly provide. Sorry for the long post but I do enjoy creating tactics and so far this is a mess.

Thanks, Cheers !

You have quite a few problems with the tactic and the way you are trying to play. I'll start with the back and work forward. Basically for the whole team you will have the equivalent of 3 players focussing on defence for the entirety of your team. With Bonucci on the cover that means you are going to realistically get caught on the counter a lot. There will be no defensive shield when the opposition breaks at pace. This is fine if one of your defenders is going to make a challenge. What will happen in reality for this tactic is Bonucci is going to drop off to avoid getting a ball played in behind. Leaving 2 defenders to defend.

The next problem you have is that you are playing a naturally narrow formation where you want to exploit the middle areas being played in a wide fashion. This means the spacing between the 2 dms and defensive partners in the width area will be particularly big. Through balls will be easy and playing in between the lines for any half decent player will be pretty easy too. You need to think about the instructions and what they will for not only overall formation and player position but where you will win and lose the battle. Basically by playing wider you are negating that fact that the formation you've gone with has most of your players in the wide areas.

The wingers will likely be too far forward to do a job defensively especially on a winger setting. I think the optimal setting with these would be to move them both back to wingbacks and play them as support there as the starting position will be deeper. They will still get up the wing but will likely defend better too. If you really want them to stay wide this is where you will set that on the player instructions rather than team instructions. If you really don't want them to move back then defensive winger is an option but it won't be as good as a wingback formation.

If you want to control possession I would suggest a higher defensive line unless you are playing against a super pacy team/ striker. If against Aubameyang then drop back a bit but a control strategy with a normal backline will mean you generally have the ball in your own half. You don't want your opponent to get out of theirs so need to play in their half. A higher defensive line will aid that. Occasionally you will get caught but that is a problem with possession tactics and you need to acknowledge that.

Personally I would prefer to play Marchisio further forward but if you are intent on keeping as a regista then I would suggest moving Khedira forward. Perhaps a CM S or CM D would work well. If you move Marchisio forward then either change James role and play him as an advanced playmaker or alternatively marchisio as a b2b. This will create that midfield runner. You need more movement, everyone will be quite static.

Lastly, if you are playing a possession tactic where you are trying to play into the box rather than cross/more direct then you should switch Dybala to Support as he will come short more often and get involved. Otherwise what you will see more often than not is they both try to go beyond into the box but you are playing short and not putting in the box thus they are not doing anything worthwhile. You want one going in beyond one coming short, this creates movement. Movement is the key to a possession tactic, you need to drag players about to create openings in a shorter passing system. Otherwise you will just end up like United under LVG, you'll pass side to side till you bore the opposition to death. The be more disciplined will pretty much direct counter the fluid state. You need to pick one or the other. Be more disciplined is good for seeing games out with possession but not great at 0-0. Think like this get the goal and perhaps 2. Then pass side to side to frustrate the opponent and make them run, or if you want you can tire them out then go for the goal. But at some point you will need to try to open them up and move the ball with purpose which disciplined approach won't necessarily do, not with tactics that aren't developed to already do that anyway.

Perhaps another thing to do is take off tighter marking as it may cause players to leave their position to mark a player which when you have a formation like this may not be optimal. That depends on the formation and opposition formation though. Good players will exploit the gaps left by your players.

Anyways, hope that helps some and let me know how you getting on with that. Hopefully it goes well and you get the tactic how you want it. Feel free to drop a message if you have any problems.