Juventus Team Guide; A Rebirth

yimrsg

Reaction score
I've supported Juventus since I can't remember and I always will. Hope this 11.3 guide helps others. Please note: I haven't completed a season with Juventus yet but I'm in the process of doing so. I haven't bothered including pictures of tactics & signings but will do once I've made some progress.

Squad Breakdown

# denotes on loan
score rating is based on current ability

Goalkeepers
· Buffon 4/5
· Storari 3/5
· Manninger 2.5/5
Full Backs
· Grygera 2.5/5
· Motta 3/5#
· Grosso 2.5/5
Centre Backs
· Rinauldo 2.5/5 #
· Chiellini 3.5/5
· Bonucci 3/5
· Barzagli 3/5
· Sorenson 1.5/5 #
Central Midfielders
· Sissoko 3/5
· Melo 3.5/5
· Aquilani 3.5/5 #
· Marchisio 3/5
Wide Midfielders
· Salihamidzic 2.5/5
· De Ceglie 2.5/ 5
· Traore 2/5 #
Wingers
· Pepe 3/5#
· Martinez 3/5
· Krasic 3.5/5
Forwards
· Toni 3/5
· Del Piero 3.5/5
· Iaquinta 3/5
· Quagliarella 3.5/5 #
· Matri 3/5#

Formation considerations & Position Evaluations
As with taking over any club one should evaluate what formation will suit the players at your disposal. There is no point devising a formation for players you have agreed to sign 3 years from now, you must take what you’re given. Also it is important to maximise your best players. There is only one AM so devising a formula reliant with more than one is pointless. Likewise with only 1 high quality winger there is a real likelihood that injuries/suspensions will deprive you of him at some point in the season. With that in mind here is my take on the squad.

Goalkeepers pick themselves, Buffon as per usual starts the season injured and will probably be missing till December so Storari & Manninger battle it out for the starting spot with Storari edging it. Once Buffon is back, Storari will be a capable back-up.

Since the left sided defenders are generally more attacking than their right hand side comrades, I’m inclined to favour a lopsided formation. De Ceglie & Traore would be best suited providing runs from deep rather than defending, whereas Grygera & Sorenson are much more defensive. Motta is the only real attacking full/wing back on the right but can cover the left. Salihamidzic hasn’t the legs or ability and is 3rd pick. Grosso hasn’t the same speed as the other left sided players but has bags of experience, important in big away matches.

In central defence Chiellini is the key man here and Bonucci is next in line. Barzagli & Rinaudo are the backup. Sorenson is on loan but has good promise but will be at best vying for a spot on the bench due to his versatility. He will come good but whether he can blossom in Seria A remains to be seen.

Central Midfield is a problem area. Despite possessing international quality players there are no viable backups should injuries occur. Sissoko is primarily defensive, Aquilani primarily attacking, with Melo & Marchisio providing balance. I like dominating midfield and play 2 CMs with either a DM or AM depending on the opposition. This is your key area of short term concern; also Aquilani is almost prohibitively expensive as his buyout clause is £14m.

Krasic, Pepe & Martinez are the wide attacking players so if you want to play with wingers I’d suggest getting another here for backup. I’m inclined to play one on the right as the left wing back will offer more of a threat on that side to compensate. Krasic is a winger & advanced playmaker, Pepe a defensive winger and Martinez more of an inside forward.

There is no shortage of striking options here but apart from the loan players they’re all the wrong side of 30. Quagliarella & Del Piero are rated the best here but both aren’t viable long term options due to one being a loan signing (with a £9.25 buyout clause) and the other 35 and hardly able to play two 90 minute games in a week. Toni & Iaquinta both have shortcomings in that Toni is too slow and workshy to be a poacher or target man and Iaquinta though physical and workman-like is never going to be a consistent goal scorer. Matri is the youngest option to choose from but is inferior to Iaquinta. Long term options should be earmarked and possible a shrewd co-ownerships & youthful signings should be made to bring the average age down.

Formation Selection
From the above player appraisals I’d look at a lopsided formation that employs a back 4 with an attacking wing back on the left of the two central defenders with a more defensive full back on the right.

As Sissoko, Melo & Marchisio can all play DM/CM I’d opt for either a DM/CM/CM or a CM/CM/CM axis in midfield. If I brought in more depth in centre midfield, I’d adapt that to either a DM/DM/CM or DM/CM/AM or CM/CM/AM. That way would allow me to maximise the potency of arguably my highest quality players without having to worry about injuries or suspensions weakening the team significantly.

To provide extra drive from the more conservative right flank I’d go for an AMR with Krasic as either a winger or advanced playmaker, depending on the opposition and match circumstances. A winger role would suit Iaquinta or Toni more where they offer a greater presence in the box but a playmaking role would be of greater benefit to Quagliarella. Pepe & Martinez are both able deputies and Pepe in particular offers something new to the position.

Up front I’d start Quagliarella and Del Piero as they would suit the possession based style of play I favour, their passing is 16 and 19 respectively, combining well with Krasic, who has a very decent 15. I’d have Quagliarella in the middle as deep lying forward where his passing and all-round game would bring in midfielders plus his shooting from distance is exceptional. Del Piero I would play out in the corner as an advanced playmaker. From here he can use his creativity to conjure magic from nothing and also brings balance to the left side of the pitch. If either of the above two tires or is injured I’d put Iaquinta as a defensive winger or forward where his pace and work ethic should compensate somewhat for Toni who would play as a Trequartista or a deep lying forward if I played an advanced playmaker.

A simple 4-4-2 or a variant could also work but I personally prefer building the formation around the squad at hand not the other way. Personally there is a greater challenge and satisfaction in fine-tuning a self-created thought into an actual useful formation, rather than choosing to rebrand what others have done.

Possible Transfers
Go to the boardroom and adjust the wages/transfer budget slider. You’ll be surprised just how those unpaid wage allowances can make all the difference in a season. Please note that Italian teams are only allowed to sign one Non-EU from abroad (outside Italy) in a season so make sure you pick and choose your one carefully. These players are marked with a *

Possible Transfers In

• Milan Badelj MC *
  • Steven Defour MC
  • Axel Witsel MC/AMR
  • Casemiro DC/DM*
  • McDonald Mariga MC (Co-Ownership)
  • Jonathon Viera AM/FC
  • Guido Marilungo AMRL/FC (Co-Ownership)
  • Lukaku FC
Note: I didn't get to sign all the above but I was particularly focused on central midifielders and young strikers. Depending on the leagues and databases loaded you could have a vastly different pool of players.

Possible Loans In
I’d try steering clear of loan signings as they are only stop gap measures and will not provide the long term solution that is needed.

End of Season Free transfers
Make a list of targets early on in your saved game and throughout the year release admirable comments about them. This hopefully should build up a strong rapport with your target and make negotiating and warding off the competition easier. Don’t leave it till December as the clubs may want to cash in on your targets and get more competition & money whilst you’re only prepared to sign them on a free at the end of the season. Rakitic, Thiago and others would be a welcome addition to the team. Don't be afraid to offer extravagant contracts to secure your targets as there will be more competition for a free agent.

Staff In/Out
First team & U20s coaches by and large are rubbish, the fitness & keeper coaches are adequate but there is a lot of deadwood that needs to be looked at. Top of the list here should be tactical & technical coaches. These deal with all players and as such any improvements here benefit the whole team which is not so with a forward/defence/keeper coach.

There are a lot of first and youth team coaches that are too poor for a club the stature of Juventus. They are however on very well paid contracts and as such will cost a pretty penny to send them on their way. Whether that money is better spent on bringing in players is ultimately at the manager’s discretion. If you do decide to ship them out bear in mind that you could end up paying close to a million to fire & compensate the old coach and the new coach’s club.

The Rebuilding Process
This is a critical time in Juventus’ history with 8 of the current 26 above being loan signings there is massive need for player recruitment when the 2011/2012 season starts. It’s highly likely that mainstay players like Del Piero, Toni, Grygera, Grosso and perish the thought; even Buffon could retire or drop ability so much to force you to look for replacement come the end of the season or next. Older backups like Salihamidzic & Manninger also are winding down their careers and contracts. The situation is further exacerbated in that you’re younger key players Marchisio, Melo, Chiellini & Bonucci are likely to be eyed up by teams the calibre of Barcelona and the financial muscle of Manchester City.

More bad news comes from the Juventus players away from the club; there is a reason why they aren’t there currently and simply put they weren’t able to cut it. Their wages are going to need paying when they come back. Amauri and Tiago are on close to 200k wages per week between them or 10m over the course of a season. They could come good but they're overpaid for their ability. Some like Giovinco could come back and do a job but on the whole there are more failed or unfulfilled careers in the reserves than rough diamonds. For every Pavel Nedved signed there are plenty more Darko Kovacevic’s, that’s not to say there isn’t life after Juventus; just ask Thierry Henry.

Another thing to consider is home grown players & trained in nation players, there are plenty youths & reserves qualified but their standard is woeful. They’re simply there to fill the quota for Europe. There are 3 to 4 decent youngsters but on the whole you've not got a lot coming through. Genuine club grown talent like De Ceglie, Marchisio, Giovinco etc. can fill this quota and offer a genuine selection headache meaning you can allocate non-home grown players the extra space(s). Make note of your club grown talent and hold onto it, unless you get offered stupid money. There should be extra incentive for you look at star youngsters under 18 (Lukaku etc.) and do all in your power to secure a future club nurtured talent, bearing in mind the one non-EU signing per season.

I’d be very reluctant to sell any players from the first team in the first season simply because there are too many unknowns; Martinez who I’d never consider signing is a backup for Krasic when or if Pepe leaves the club or if there are injuries, even Manninger has his uses as he’s on a very cheap contract and in all likelihood be content with 5 appearances in nothing games a season. Also Martinez is a new signing so there would be little to no interest in him should you try cash in. Salihamizic might do enough to have his contract extended as backup for Grygera, when or if Motta/Sorenson leave.

It's very difficult to predict what players will still be around in the next few seasons, so where possible favour players who can play in multiple positions so that if anything unexpected happens, you've got adequate cover. Don't forget you can achieve this by training your current squad to new positions.

Final message
How you chose to go about building for the future here is a great challenge, Juventus are in a transitional period and as their manager you can shape their future at a pivotal point in time. To me the first season is just a prelude to the hard work that will take place in the second and subsequent seasons. The choices you make the first season will impact on the next few seasons drastically.

Good luck on your journey & Forza Juve.

this is my first p0st here mate,,and c0z i als0 l0ve juve...s0 i've made this p0st...like t0 see juventini ar0und here...btw i like t0 make a tac that make del pier0 t0 be great striker again like he used t0 be...f0rza juve ,,f0rza ale!!!

11.3 ****** up the loan transfers of Pepe and Motta :(

I'm also playing Juventus at the moment and just wanted to add that I found that Armand Traore was a more than capable back-up for Simone Pepe on the left flank. In fact by halfway through the first season he had made that position his own. His amazing pace is his biggest weapon and his quite tall too.

Just about to start a save now with Juve very good guide, going to try for the first time ever to make my own tactic so this could be very much a disaster but hey lets see how it goes!

Good work!
I started a save with Juve the very day 11.3 came out - I went in another direction and played my favorite deep 4-2-3-1 and added some oomph to the squad for the present and future by signing Douglas Costa.
The 4-2-3-1 (which utilizes an anchorman and supportive defensive midfielder, an attacking playmaker on the wing, a supporting AMC, attacking winger and a complete-as-can-be striker set to attack - Iaquinta, for now) works well for Juve - far better than I had expected.
I've only played about 10 season games, so I can't say how well it will work out in the long run, but for the moment, I'm quite happy and I also foresee a brighter future for this Juve than the one led by Del Neri.
Keep it up!

I can't believe they signed Luca Toni on a 2.5 year deal with 135k salary! :O Is this for real? Cuz his is far away from his best years, I don't track every single detail in Juventus transfers, I know Toni was emergency transfer because of (another) Amauri injury but...Wtf?! :S

I can't believe they signed Luca Toni on a 2.5 year deal with 135k salary! :O Is this for real? Cuz his is far away from his best years, I don't track every single detail in Juventus transfers, I know Toni was emergency transfer because of (another) Amauri injury but...Wtf?! :S

Yeah! It is something similar to that, definitely 2 years anyway. Absolutely ridiculous contract. They let amauri go and then brought in a older, worse player on a terrible contract! No wonder juve are in the mess they are. They have been awful in the transfer market.

Has anyone had the problem that any of the major players on loan( Quags, Aquilani, Matri, Pepe) are not interested in negotiating contracts? I'm at the end of the season and for some reason they won't negotiate and their status says they are happy playing for the team. I don't get it, I just might use the editor to make sure it works.

i got the same problem! motta, quagliarella (who has been tremendous for me in the first season) didnt wanna sign for me. i won the serie a and quagliarella is my top scorer, while motta played almost every game!

The other things that frustrates me is that on the second season the board only gave me transfer budget of 925K! now im left with only Iaquinta as my first choice. i got Kadlec and Del Piero as a backup but that's hardly helping. Kadlec's too young and Del Piero didnt have the leg to run 90 minutes. anyone having the same problem on 2nd season?

Just starting a game as The Old Lady, need an assistant manager to replace the woeful Francisco Conti; any suggestions?