Keep young players at club or loan them out?

FcCopenhagen

Reaction score
My club has the BEST training facilities and my training team is superb (most 4-5 stars)

What is best for my young players (pre 21 years), to stay at the club to develop on my u21 team and get the random game on the first team (English Premier League). Or to be loaned out to another club (From some of the best leagues in an Europe or other Premier League teams) where they will get 20+ games pr season on their first team. But most likely not with such good training facilities or training team.

Here I'm thinking from a pure player quality development point of view. Should I keep them at the club or loan them out?

Obviously if they ASK/Demand to be loaned out I should do that, but for the rest? What will give me the best result in development?

If the club doesn't have good training facilities, then there is little use in loaning the players out. Rotate them and give them chances in the final 15 minutes or so when you're leading easily. And even if there's a club with Excellent/Superb/Top training facilities, try to ensure that the player gets a status of either 'First Team', or even better, 'Key Player'. That means they'll develop faster and better with more matches and good training grounds/

The way i do it is, i keep definite future first team plays at the club as when loaning them out generally they dont improve much from my experience and in some cases come back with less PA going by my coaches opinions. I tend to loan out the youngsters that can become squad players but you are willing to sell in the future for profit etc but even then i keep them at the club till they turn 18 then loan them out for 1/2 seasons before i decided if i am keeping them for backup or selling them on. The key is giving your youngsters some first team match experience in cup games or unimportant games mainly as subs in games you are already winning, losses can hurt their development.

Agree with above posters, if you know for sure the youngster will be a first team player for you in the future, keep them at the club. You can monitor their development and give them the right tutors, aswell as fielding them for cup games and against weak opposition or when you have a game neatly in the bag. I've had some success with loaning players out, usually to Atletico Madrid or Ajax, where they've come back even better, or performed at such a high level consistently that they deserve to be in and around my 1st team next season. Loaned one of my Attacking mids to Ajax and after 29 games he had 23 goals... Insane, he continued his blistering form for me and I would never of known he had such an eye for goal unless I loaned him out.