NiceToMichu

Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm not very good on this years Football Manager in comparison to previous years.

I am really struggling to keep clean-sheets!
I often score. But also concede, a lot!

Any tips on being able to make a solid, Tony Pulis type team?

Thanks!

I am still searching for a good solid approach tactic too.

0-0 1-0 2-1 scores what i like.

Not weird formations.

Something like Anti football tactic from JP or Underdog beast from Mr L.

I came up with the conclusion after hours and hours of playing that this is not possible.

Defending is broken in this me version.

I think I am on right truck regarding keeping clean sheets. I managed to create tacktic that is extremely stable, and that basicly alowes, against most teams, only long range shots. But, all this folled to watter when my main playmaker was injured. This is becouse he is my main point in possesion, he looms the field and becomes passing option alway. I did not had replacment for him and my tactic quickly fall appart.

I played counter, short passing game, low tempo, narrow game. I stick to position, drop deep, stand back of opponent, I run at the defence, pass in space and work ball into box. I clear ball to wings and play trough wings.

I used asymetric formation, but this is basic settings where you can controle game and it does not depend on your basic formation.

So what are positives in this? Basicly, it limits space for opponent and eiter keeps them far from your goal, or forces them to shoot long. IF you have good goalie, you should not worry for most games (altough, I did had couple a games where my opponent scored couple goals from long range, but this could happen eiter way). On the other hand, when I have ball, I try (due to counter mentality), to speed up game and organize counter, but if this does not work, my team tends to slowly build up their position and work ball to box. In start, it was hard to create anything with this setting, but in time, I begin to control game in terms of possesion and in terms of creating chances. Lower teams would fear of my swift counter, so they would stay deep, and I can create opportunities from posseson on their half, and for most games, I do. Better opponent will force you to defend for better half of match, and Your possesion game will be mostly on your half, but since you are not allowing space and not allowing chances, they will be more and more agressive. In last 30 minutes you will dominate game - this is right. YOur opponent will be forced to press you, attack you, their defence will be high up the field and cover a lot of space. They will be tired. While You waited whole game for this with your stand off, with your low tempo game.

Key for this to work is to have flocal point of attack, either Treq, target man or something else, at least one fast player on wing, and main player is your playmaker, or gay that will keep your possesion. He has to be extremly hard working and smart. Without him, your whole concept fails.

And this is all on 14,3 version... I can post you latter today formation if you want...

How did I managed this? I tried to edit post and it just got reposted oO)

Last edited: