Keeping Your Original Squad Together...

Disclaimer89

Reaction score
So I started up my usual Spurs save to test 2015 out, haven't had much chance due to work commitments. I checked my team and looks like we have quite a few good rated players...

ANYWAY...
The point of this thread is to find out when you guys start a new save with a team you like/support, do yous keep the squad intact or go straight for offloading and buying in the new wonderkids of 2015 or world class players?

When I play with a team I like, I tend to keep the squad the same, buy next to nobody, for at least one season and even afterwards, unless a player is doing extremely woeful, I tend to keep them... Maybe I get too attached to them?

As I'm not one to run, offload my most of my team and buy balanta, depay and the other obvious world-class/wonderkids!

Of course it is a manager simulation game and everyone can play it their own way, which is why the game is so intriguing. Would be great to here other people's view on this?

Leave a comment!

Last edited:
i like to keep the original squad aswell with liverpool only sold johnson and lucas

I do a bit of both. I tend to get rid of 2-3 players whom I don't fancy, get replacements for them, if needed, and then just buy youngsters, who slot into U21, and play Cup games, mostly. Atleast for the 1st season, my team is generally the same, after which I start to bring in youth (I'm a fan of youth development.)

It's generally 1-2 in & 1-2 out, for better balance. But no...I don't go for the overload that some seem to like of WK's coming in.

I tend to keep the majority of the original squad, I like to play as realistic as possible..So shift a few deadwood, Bring in a couple of replacements..Then just buy if and when i need to/want to.

As u see i have changed my Arsenal sqaud alot. I think its a much better young and talented squad. Mu squad rotation is amazing and squad morale is very good too. Heres my squad:
Goalkeepers: Ospina and Szecney
Defenders: Gibbs, Chambers, Debuchey, Koscielny, Subotic, Balanta, Umitti, Darmain
Midfielders: Ozil, Wiltshire, Ramsey, Oxlade Chamberlin, Diaby, Maher, Clasie, Grenier, Thauvin, Insigne, Will Hughes and Sanchez,
Strikers: Giroud, Walcott, Welbeck, Lazzecette, Mitrovic

On my United save... only people still here are De Gea, James Wilson, RVP, Shaw, Rafael, Phil Jones, and some under 21s... only got some scouts left too (I sacked all physios, youth staff, etc when I arrived)

I play with Athletic Club in Spain and you have to keep the original squad due to the basque only policy.... there are a few potential signings out there but all the good ones are at big clubs so very difficult to do anything. Have to spend the time developing the youth players! Great save idea for anyone who enjoys youth player development and squad consistency

I play AC Milan and now I am in my 3rd season, but anyway, in the 1st season I kept my squad together. I only brought new players without selling anybody important. I always tend to do so regardless of the club I'm managing. 1ST Season i just try to keep things together and then I do what is necessary, but in my opinion the 1st season is the most important because you can build a good future or you can ruin it by taking unnecessary risks.

I play as Sunderland and offloaded Danny Graham, Cabral and Roberge who just a few of Di Canios awful signings to help free up some money to buy Lucas Romero and Peruzzi.

Generally 1 in 1 out but I like to keep it as real as possible.

I play as fulham and im a wheeler dealer. Usually our team is very poor so i sell and by a better replacement for cheaper.

Won the championship 1st season just starting the second and I have about 6 players left from the original team in my 25man squad

I started 2015 with my supported team ( Southend United ) and I am now in the 2020/2021 season, in the championship and I still have 8/9 original first team players from the start and usually 4/5 of them still get in my starting 11. Up until 2 seasons ago when I got to the championship I had only bought 1/2 players that affected my first team squad.

The strange thing is I have played FM/CM since 1999ish and I used to clear out the majority of my team and go for young stars, only in the last 2/3 FM's have I changed that... the main reasoning is it now has a major impact on your performances if you bring in a whole new team in my opinion. Also it just doesn't feel the same having a whole new team 2/3 seasons in to the game, you may as well just create a new team on the editor instead of ripping apart a current team.

I started 2015 with my supported team ( Southend United ) and I am now in the 2020/2021 season, in the championship and I still have 8/9 original first team players from the start and usually 4/5 of them still get in my starting 11. Up until 2 seasons ago when I got to the championship I had only bought 1/2 players that affected my first team squad.

The strange thing is I have played FM/CM since 1999ish and I used to clear out the majority of my team and go for young stars, only in the last 2/3 FM's have I changed that... the main reasoning is it now has a major impact on your performances if you bring in a whole new team in my opinion. Also it just doesn't feel the same having a whole new team 2/3 seasons in to the game, you may as well just create a new team on the editor instead of ripping apart a current team.

Shrimpers!!!

Im from Southend(hadliegh)

I tend to keep the core of my team solid. I make it a rule to only sell a couple of backup/deadweight players every season. I then sprinkle the edges of the team with capable youth players whom I feel would be able to make an impact on the team mid/end season, as those are the times that the players need to be rotated to maintain fitness and prevent long-term injuries (like Dele Alli).
I usually HATE going for the wonderkids everyone loves to go for (Balanta, Romera, Gaston Gil, etc). I tend to try and buy wonderkids only from the nation I'm managing in, so I can build up around them.

Usually keep the majority of the first team with no more than about 3-4 replacements and then focus on getting some of the wonderkids before they get snapped up elsewhere, but only after scouting them and making sure they match my philosophy. The end of the first season should see a few of the weaker first teamers moved on again and a complete revamp of the U21s and U18s to give a stream of good players (and revenue).

I like to keep only the key players, the icons and HG. The rest of the squad at some point in the first 3 seasons will departure for the right value of course

I usually try not to change my team a lot during the first season . I did that with an Olympiakos S.F.P. save in FM2014 . Now I 've started a save with Tottenham too but I was not so impressed with the quality of the team and decided to alter the squad . My opinion is that normally you don't want to alter your hometeam because you are emotionaly attached and that not stands for the rest of the teams