khodders Central Control Tactic: Set

khodder

Reaction score
Basically over the past week or so I have come to the conclusion that, and I am sure some would agree, that on the 10.3 patch for FM10 attacking and defending through the middle if the best way to get good results on the pitch.

So I have gone about creating a small set of tactics that have done well for me in somewhat limited testing, I.E have only tested with better teams in the EPL. (Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd) The three that I have created and had success with are all basically the same tactic, but with three different formations depending on where your players may play better.

They are the original, a 3-1-3-3. As the instructions in the screenshot show (At the bottom in Thumbnails) it uses the maximum allowed amount of width to make sure the formations are not too narrow, but still are fully based down the middle of the park.

attachment.php

The three defenders are set out so the two on the outside play slightly more advanced and will close down attackers quicker than the centrally placed defender who almost acts as a Quasi-Sweeper (Pace is needed here)

The midfield are the engine room and do a lot of work. The defensive midfielder will start deep, but will also push forward to support the attacks of the team. This is neccessary due to the outside central players often drifting towards the wings (In order to create width and space in attack) and the Central player, the playmaker of the unit being given the license to roam around the pitch in search of the ball.

The three pronged attack is simple, a deep lying forward with two poachers running off of him. With Liverpool Torres in the middle with N'Gog and Kuyt off him came with solid results, not so much for Kuyt, but N'Gog and Torres both knocked in the goals.

Using this tactic I was able to win the Premiership in the first season with the only transfer being Jadson in on a free at midseason, he played 8 games for me.

As you can see despite only having three at the back it was still a formation that leaked few goals.

Two best results were my final two games of the season at home the Man City and away to Arsenal, 6 point guaranteed the title.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The closest relative of this was the 3-1-2-1-2, it uses all of the same methods at the 3-1-3-3, but the playmaker begins in a more advanced position giving the diamond shape in the middle of the park.

attachment.php

I forgot to get a mid-season screenshot of this tactic, but I was doing well. Sitting close to the top of the table and a very good attacking record (around 2.5 goals a game) and solid at the back after around 20 games.

The third successful version of this is the flat 4-3-3. It moves the defensive midfielder back into the defensive line and pushes the outside central defenders into the fullback spot. This was by far the best tactic at the back, but at times lacked a little bit going forwards.

attachment.php

(Drogba was injured the game before I took this SS so that is why he is not starting) The six at the top are the same as the 3-1-3-3 formation, but the back four is slightly changed. The fullbacks will get forward, but rarely, and they really provide extra stability at the back. The new central defender plays the same role as the other. Essentially it will look a little bit like a sunken middle two with two fullbacks on the outside.

At midseason I was doing well, had lost just 1 game (2-0 to Liverpool in a game that we deserved at least a point) and had only conceeded 10 goals in 20 games. However despite this and our 47 points we were only in 2nd place due to Everton (I know, what, also check out Blackburn ???) having a superhuman season for them.

attachment.php

During all of the testing I did not use any shouts from the touchlines, but you may use them as you see fit, there are bound to be situations where the shouts would improve the tactic in any given situation.

One that I could see working is Work Ball Into Box, as there can be a tendency to settle for some bad shots from distance at times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally I also attached a 3-4-3 that uses wide midfielders on the wings in the midfield. This has not been tested much at all, so if you want to use it or any of the other three and give me any kind of feedback in here or via PM it is all appreciated.

attachment.php

It has the DM moved into the CM spot, but trying to fill a similar role, and the outside CM's have been moved onto the wings, but play in the style of central midfielders. The front and back three are the same as in the original.

So enjoy using these if you decide to. Remember they have not been tested with a mid or lower table team so do not expect them to work if you are going to use a team in that situation. Or alternatively if anyone is interested in seeing how they go with those types of teams and give me some feedback it would be appreciated.

EDIT - Finished a test with Wolves, playing some Holidaying others While I watched Le Tour, and had some great results using a 3-4-3 Counter Attacking style. Result, and SS of Tactics in the Thumbnails at the bottom.

P.S I have so far tested all tactics on the smallest possible pitch.

Last edited:
Downloaded all 5, mate, and from my testing the 3-1-3-3 is quality. However, on your corners and free kicks you have the DLF, CenterForward, and usually the best header of your 3 styrikers fall abck to cover for the defense. I use ManU, just bc I have not used them before and rOoney always went back to cover the backline on corners while Owen and Welbeck or Macheda, depends on who was playing, would stay up for the corner. Just something to think about. Otherwise the 3-1-3-3 is class. Will try the others later with another team. Cheers!

Downloaded all 5, mate, and from my testing the 3-1-3-3 is quality. However, on your corners and free kicks you have the DLF, CenterForward, and usually the best header of your 3 styrikers fall abck to cover for the defense. I use ManU, just bc I have not used them before and rOoney always went back to cover the backline on corners while Owen and Welbeck or Macheda, depends on who was playing, would stay up for the corner. Just something to think about. Otherwise the 3-1-3-3 is class. Will try the others later with another team. Cheers!

I guess I should say this has all of the default corner setting, attacking and defending. So you can do what you like with the corner settings.