meb1976

Reaction score
Dalglish back at Parkhead

Kenny Dalglish is to take the reins at Celtic Park for the start of the new 2013/14 season.

The shock decision by Dermot Desmond, the club's Billionaire owner comes not long after he had taken up an ambassador role at previous club Liverpool. "We wish him all the best for the future." said an Anfield insider.

With Neil Lennon's grip on the Parkhead faithful gradually deteriorating, Dalglish's name regularly chanted throughout some of the lowest points of the previous campaign, which included home defeats to several mid table sides in the SPL.
Lennon, speaking after his dismissal, admitted that although he was proud to both manage and play for the the club, he wished he had been afforded more time to impose his authority on the side.
"Being asked to manage Celtic Football Club was a great privilege," he said. "I have, however, found the last few months some of the most challenging of my career. I am very sad not to have been able to put my stamp on the squad, to be given the time to bring new players into the club in this transfer window and to have been able to be part of the rebuilding process at Celtic Park. I thank those with whom I have built up a close working relationship at the club for their loyalty and support during very testing times, and finally of course to the Celtic fans, your passion and dedication to the club will see us at the top of the game once more."

Dalglish will assume control of first team matters until the end of the season, stating he is not sure if he is the long term answer to the clubs ongoing problems but he intends to build on the work Lennon has done and build up the foundations of a once great European club

Desmond added: "We are delighted that Kenny Dalglish has agreed to step in and manage the team for the remainder of the season.

"Kenny was a legendary footballer at this club. We are extraordinarily fortunate and grateful that he has decided to step into help the club during this difficult time."

No comment has been made on rumours that fellow great Henrik Larrson has been approached to work alongside Dalglish but rumours persit he is looking for someone to work with him in a coaching capacity with the aim of taking over in the future. No transfer targets have been made public as yet but many insiders believe player sales will have to be made before anyone can be brought in.

51388b34ee217.jpg

Pre Season so far....Sold Samaras to Lille for ?2m, signed mainly youth so far. In has come Stevie May from St Johnstone, young goalkeeper Callum Burton from Shrewsbury, Stephen Hendrie from Hamilton, and Ryan Jack from Aberdeen for a combined figure of just under ?1m. Jack has since rejoined the Dons on loan. Rumours persist that Dalglish is chasing young Dundee Utd starlet Ryan Gauld but he did admit he was disappointed to see another young Terrors player Souttar turn down a move to Celtic Park in favour of a move to Arsenal.
Next up for Dalglish is a potential banana skin tie in the Champions League qualifier against Hungarian side Gyor. Ledley, Mulgrew, Brown, Izaguirre, and young Welsh fullback Matthews are all ruled out of the first leg so some of the new signings may be set for a quick baptism of fire.

View attachment 427754Injury worries brushed aside as Celtic thump Gyor 3-1 at Celtic Park. Rogic has moved out to Augsburg in Germany whilst Dalglish was delighted to wrap up the much anticipated move for Dundee Utd winger Ryan Gauld for ?3m. "To be honest when i went to see the boy the other day, Danny McGrain turned round to me and said "Kenny, you have to sign that lad, he is the new Kenny Dalglish!!". I think the boy definately has something so its important he knuckles down, learns from the likes of Ledley and Borrigter and pushes on for a starting slot. Remeber he is only 17 so i dont want to hype him or put to much pressure on him at this stage. Many players have struggled to get to grips with the atmosphere here but i am full of hope for him."

sounds a great story will def be following hope larsson come's in and bring's young jordan with him

View attachment 426810View attachment 426809View attachment 426807

Story so Far
Domestically the season is going well, and to be honest it is down to one reason; Virgil van Dijk. Playing as a Ball playing Centre back, the big Dutchman has scored an incredible 9 goals in 17 starts with 7 man of the match performances. At the start of the campaign he was 3rd choice centre half behind Ambrose and Mulgrew, but his performances so far this season have been nothing short of sensational! Forwards Pukki, Stokes and Balde have had a poor return however upfront, scoring 18 goals between them in 40 starts. Dalglish is thought to be scouring the markets looking for an accomplished striker to lead the line with one or more of the afore mentioned forwards rumoured to be leaving. A transfer kitty of ?10m is thought to be available in the January transfer window with Blackburn striker Jordan Rhodes said to be high on his wanted list.
Whilst there has been no main challenger domestically the biggest hurdle has been in the champions league so for. Heavy defeats at home to Chelsea and away to Athletico Madrid was followed by a credible 0-0 away draw to Leverkrusen. At this stage, finishing 3rd looks like the Hoops best chance this season with entry into the Europa league.
Biton, Commons, Mouyokolo look to be heading for the exit door in January as Dalglish steps up his attepts to strengthen the squad. Young midfielder Stuart Brannigan has already been snapped up from nieghbours Partick Thistle for ?750,000 and the word on the streets of the east end of Glasgow say Hearts young defender Danny Wilson may be next to put pen to paper.