Reaction score
Just purchased "The Hunter" for my Spurs save, some of you may know this if you're following my "AVB: Back to Winning Ways Story." Shameful plug for my story there, sorry. Anyway the issue is playing him as a poacher with some modifications as suggested by Raikan in a previous thread. However he's not performing to say the least. Just wondering whether he has a period where he needs to adapt to the English game and get to grips with the tactics like a lot of Brazilian players, or if i'm playing him "wrong." Suggestions would be nice :)

Further Information: Sometimes playing him on his own in a 4-2-3-1, other times next to Damiao who is playing as a CF or a Target Man. Screenshot of his modifications to his instructions;
Cheers and thanks.​

I would have to know how many shots you are getting him a game and where those shots are occuring. He is the most clinical finisher in the game due to his technical and mental stats. Goal scoring comes down to receiving the ball in positions of maximum opportunity. Huntelaarmakes for a better deep lying forward than poacher in my experience. His lack of speed hinders him a poacher. He is most dangerous creating that little space by dropping off a defender and then passing it into the net from positions just inside and outside the area. Just play to feet and enjoy.

Also, as DLF, he and Damiao can combine easily. They can exchange one-twos at the top of the area and decide who gets to bang it in. Set their passing to very short, and let Damiao hold it up so the Hunter can toy with the back line.

Try this: -

Set roam to position as: no

Give him more creative freedom

Set run with ball to "rarely"

The reason I think you should try this is because as he is a poacher you do not want him roaming from the goal scoring positions he might be getting in, if he is a poacher he should not need to run with the ball as his job is just getting into the right positions and finishing chances.

Funny I was just thinking about the proper settings for KJH since he lacks dribbling and speed.

I would also reduce his closing down to own area.

use these settings:

View attachment 234001

it all depends on who he plays with and what the other players settings are, many factors that influence strikers scoring :)

Try this: -

Set roam to position as: no

Give him more creative freedom

Set run with ball to "rarely"

The reason I think you should try this is because as he is a poacher you do not want him roaming from the goal scoring positions he might be getting in, if he is a poacher he should not need to run with the ball as his job is just getting into the right positions and finishing chances.

I agree...

use these settings:

View attachment 234001

it all depends on who he plays with and what the other players settings are, many factors that influence strikers scoring :)

Will try this, DLF didn't appear to work too well in my two test games. I think one of the problems is the fact that my AML/AMR are very quick (Bale, Lennon, Rodriguez) so they sprint off up the pitch and Huntelaar not being so fast arrives in the box fairly late to latch onto their passes/crosses. However I'll try this and see how I get on. Usually I just solve my own players under-performing out by changing their roles/niggling their instructions, but KJH seems very hard to get right. Thanks!