aakasim

Reaction score
Hi guys,
First-time forum poster here. Thought I'd finally contribute after "stealing" so many tactics since 2010.

Lots of tactics in FM16 seem to work well, but there's no wonder tactic like Sacchi's 442 or SirGoaLaLot from the previous editions....

...until I discovered Knap's Stargazing 424 from here:
Stargazing 424 Counter

It was made before the last patch so I wasn't sure it would work, but it DOES.
I didn't make too many screenshots, but this one (attached) was from the end of my 4th season:

Also, 1st to 4th season - won the league each time.

A bit of context - I've also tried Knap's midsomer, stargazing 4231, and Cally Mac.
All were good, but I prefer playing with 2 strikers because FM tends to make even the best strikers spurn chance after chance and/or go through fluctuating form during the season.

Playing 2 strikers almost ensures one will score - and if not, I make sure to have 2 off the bench to bring on from the 60th onwards.
Now, unlike Midsomer's Wide Midfielders, the 424 also has IFs - both of whom add to the goals, more than they would if they were just WMs.
Plus, for FM it's easier to find quality natural AMR/AML than natural MR/ML.
For e.g, Zivkovic and Coutinho play AMR and AML much better than MR and ML respectively.

Chances WILL be created and you will almost always edge possession, even if you are L'pool and playing away to Bayern in the 1st season.

Sorry I didn't screenshot the tactic page, but just to add...I tweaked a few things:
Instead of two CMs, I made MCL a BWM support and MCR a Roaming Playmaker.
Both don't score much, but the MCR (if Renato Sanches or Youri Tielemans for e.g.) will control the mid and give assists.

Clearly, the most important part of this tactic is the front 4.
The usual rules apply - reverse foot for each wing.
Don't be fazed by the False 9s - using Munir (a natural f9) is not as good as Icardi (a partial f9). Go for strikers who can score.
That being said, using a player like Benteke (Target Man, who plays back to goal) will be only be 70% adequate.

There is a post (#69) on the thread I posted above which outlines the PPMs - created by someone else but re-posted by Knap - anyway, you should adhere to it.

I know this tactic isn't new, but I just wanted to say that Knap is a friggin' genius.
He seems to create a new tactic each week (it's what he likes I guess), but while everyone is talking about Conqueror, Midsomer, Wrath, etc....I think this 424 tactic is being grossly overlooked.

Thanks Knap!

Have you tried it with a small club in a top league?

Which one of the tactics is it in the link? The only 4-2-4 is a 16.2 tactic

shirajzl

FM14SERBIA tested as follows
I have tested your 442Midsomer tactic with TFF Tactic Test Database V2 and got 108 points... good job Knap
:)
This tactic has same performance as TFFV5 Balanced.

I have also tested Stargazing 4231 in this league at 108pts and this tactic is based on original 424.

I've not updated 424, but no reason why the 16.2 tactics won't work in 16.3, apart from Oxford and Dambusters.

Which one of the tactics is it in the link? The only 4-2-4 is a 16.2 tactic

yeah, that's the one (16.2).
Like Knap has said, he never updated it - but it still works coz the patch update does not affect the tactic.

Can you post your tactic for download so we can see how it's done!