DeSouza

Reaction score
Hello FM Base!

The last few years on FM have prompted several head scratches, multiple questions being directed at my laptop screen and general confusion as to where the ****** **** I'm going wrong.

I'll give an example;

I started a career with Leeds, with the modest target of top half. I set up two tactics; a 4-5-1 with two inside forwards supporting a deep lying forward, and two ball winners set to defend either side of a deep lying playmaker. The defence was a straight forward two centre backs set to defend, with two full backs set to support.

I instructed them to pass shorter and play out of defence, I asked them to drop deeper, due to the lack of pace in my defence, and asked them to play narrower as to allow the inside forwards more chance to get involved.

After 12 games, I had 4 points. The 4 points came from a win against Wigan and a draw against QPR. Can anyone please explain what I'm missing and how to correct it?

One last thing, can anybody tell me how to recognise the signs that certain aspects of a tactic aren't working? Obviously the scoreline and the number of CCC's the opposition create are signs, but things like the midfield being too far away from the defence - how do you counter that?

Thanks!

Well playing with 2 BWM and a DLP means that your midfield is going to be isolated from your attack. I'd switch one of the BWM to a BBM, and the DLP to an AP.

After every loss or poor performance, I go through all the stats to see if I can spot any problem (Such as if my 3 midfielders average position was too far away from my attack, I'd do what I said above). As I watch a match I also make a mental note of stuff I see which I need to watch again, so I watch them back and make notes about what my team SHOULD of been doing.

If you don't want to spend as much time, make sure to get a good assistant with a high tactical knowledge, and check his analysis