Korena gp yeongam

wunzigan

Reaction score
Just want to know what your thoughts are from the first Korean GP ?

Personally, I felt quite disappointed. The track was not ready a 100%, specially the draining of the track. I have seen certainly worse raining conditions in F1, still those tracks were in better shape.

However the track did tie/break some records.

1) The amount of times the safety car was deployed

2) The number of initial laps led by a safety car (17-18)

Nevertheless, the future is promising. It seems that overtaking can be achieved in several sectors, and if not for the rain, the race would have been more interesting to watch. If I am not mistaken the designer of this track and the last 4 or 5 (new ones) are the same. So I expect some interesting track designs in India and Russia in the near future.

Personally, thought it was exciting, but at the same time, it was exciting for the wrong reasons. Hopefully they will be better prepared next year.

I would also note that the race barely made to the end due to daylight restrictions. It was a close call. I too think we can only expect better from this track. 55 laps, 17 first laps with SC, and so many interruptions, there was barely a race. But, but, but, when the race was on, interesting overtakings were seen there today.

It was funny to see Sutil overtaking 3-4 cars, then a spun off, losing those places, later retaking these cars again, so that he can spin off again, and so forth.

I dont see why people say the race shouldnt have taken place, it made a great spectacle and any race is better than no race

I dont see why people say the race shouldnt have taken place, it made a great spectacle and any race is better than no race

The conditions were pretty dangerous, considering how many didn't finish, and the fact that the draining on the track was awful. I think you have to look at the safety of the drivers before you take the 'any race is better than no race' mentality.

The conditions were pretty dangerous, considering how many didn't finish, and the fact that the draining on the track was awful. I think you have to look at the safety of the drivers before you take the 'any race is better than no race' mentality.
it was borderline unraceable today. everyone loves a good wet race, but this was silly

I felt bad for the Red Bulls. A DNF at this stage in the competition is a very bad thing. Congrats to Fernando, Lewis and Filipe for making the best of the circumstances. And I'd like to add that Schumacher has put on his best performance of the season. Poor Jenson is probably out of the title hunt now. That could work in Lewis' favour.

I didn't really understand the problems the drivers were complaining about. At no point in the race was it actually raining much, and I have seen wetter races before, like Malaysia last year, but maybe thats just me. Its just it didn't look that wet to me......or Hamilton either, apparently..

I didn't really understand the problems the drivers were complaining about. At no point in the race was it actually raining much, and I have seen wetter races before, like Malaysia last year, but maybe thats just me. Its just it didn't look that wet to me......or Hamilton either, apparently..

Obviously RB wanted the race to be stopped earlier, even with 50% of the points they would be better off. Everyone knew it was going to be quite risky with those conditions. Even Alonso wouldnt have mind to have the race stopped. Thats why RB drivers made those comments. On the other hand, Hamilton would loose a lot, and thats exactly why Mclaren asked him all the time, because they knew H would say everything was fine. He even said at one point during the initial Safety car period, "Let the race start now". And the problem wasnt the rain itself, it was the poor draining of the track. Even when it wasnt raining, the water remained there.

As per the DNF for RB, I truly believe that all these misfortunes evens out throughout the season. One time its Ferrari, another is RB, another is Mclaren.... However, what is disturbing imho, is that RB cannot manage to win that many races despite of dominating the qualifying this season.

Last edited:
Just want to know what your thoughts are from the first Korean GP ?

Personally, I felt quite disappointed. The track was not ready a 100%, specially the draining of the track. I have seen certainly worse raining conditions in F1, still those tracks were in better shape.

However the track did tie/break some records.

1) The amount of times the safety car was deployed

2) The number of initial laps led by a safety car (17-18)

Nevertheless, the future is promising. It seems that overtaking can be achieved in several sectors, and if not for the rain, the race would have been more interesting to watch. If I am not mistaken the designer of this track and the last 4 or 5 (new ones) are the same. So I expect some interesting track designs in India and Russia in the near future.

I totally disagree with you. It was one of the best races this season. The rain made it more exiting. There was several overtaking manoeuvres and the racing was very unpredictable.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

it was borderline unraceable today. everyone loves a good wet race, but this was silly

At the start when it was red flagged it was unraceable, but Suzuka was much worse. I think the conditions were alright for full wets, 2007 Euro GP was a lot worse. If it was so unraceable why were people on Inters!

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Well safety is really an issue if you look at Webbers crash that that says it is hard to even get injured in a crash these days. Also the fact that many didn't finish was driver error or otherwise not as a result of the track. Webber was as a result of him applying too much throttle. Rosberg was because of Webber, Vettel engine, Petrov spun on his own. No-one knows what happened with Trulli. Also I think the track was great. When they finish the run off areas which will be done by the next race, there will be no complaints!

I totally disagree with you. It was one of the best races this season. The rain made it more exiting. There was several overtaking manoeuvres and the racing was very unpredictable.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

At the start when it was red flagged it was unraceable, but Suzuka was much worse. I think the conditions were alright for full wets, 2007 Euro GP was a lot worse. If it was so unraceable why were people on Inters!

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Well safety is really an issue if you look at Webbers crash that that says it is hard to even get injured in a crash these days. Also the fact that many didn't finish was driver error or otherwise not as a result of the track. Webber was as a result of him applying too much throttle. Rosberg was because of Webber, Vettel engine, Petrov spun on his own. No-one knows what happened with Trulli. Also I think the track was great. When they finish the run off areas which will be done by the next race, there will be no complaints!
i said it was borderline unraceable,not so unraceable, different things. and the drainage at suzuka was much better. they were lucky to get it done before dark. All races have the potential to be dangerous, but this was almost unnecessarily so,

i said it was borderline unraceable,not so unraceable, different things. and the drainage at suzuka was much better. they were lucky to get it done before dark. All races have the potential to be dangerous, but this was almost unnecessarily so,

If it was borderline unraceable wouldn't they of stuck on full wets for the whole race?

If you consider that due to the SC, the race was only a few laps, like 30 of the 55....that is disappointing.

I mean, we all new that while the track being brand new, it would be quite slippery. If you add the rain, we all knew that many cars would have accidents- The safety car was basically deployed every 5 laps....

Nevertheless; it seems that we all agree that this track has a great future. The design is great.

If it was borderline unraceable wouldn't they of stuck on full wets for the whole race?
it doesnt need to be raining the whole time for it to be unraceable, this is where the drainage was a problem,hence the delayed start. if the rain had been like suzuka, this would have been over

As per the DNF for RB, I truly believe that all these misfortunes evens out throughout the season. One time its Ferrari, another is RB, another is Mclaren.... However, what is disturbing imho, is that RB cannot manage to win that many races despite of dominating the qualifying this season.
I know what you mean. In the very early stages, it was Red Bull that was having some bad luck. Then, halfway through the season it was Ferrari's turn. A few races ago, it came to Lewis as well. And now it's coming back to Red Bull. The cycle of bad luck is complete. LOL!

And about the Red Bull, I think it all comes down to the drivers. Clearly those RB cars are faster than their rivals, sometimes even almost 2 secs/lap faster. But their drivers just can't push out it's full potential.

If you look at Jenson, he dominated the first half of the season last year because Brawn was clearly much faster than any other car on track. And him, being a smooth driver, hardly makes any mistakes. But this year, when the car is not competitive against the Bulls, he is mostly struggling compared to Lewis.

In my personal opinion, Sebastian Vettel does NOT deserve to be World Champion. If you can't capitalize on 9 pole positions to give you a lead on the table, then you don't deserve to be driving a title-worthy car like that. The most deserving Champions are Lewis and Fernando, who've been performing way beyond the capabilities of their cars.

it doesnt need to be raining the whole time for it to be unraceable, this is where the drainage was a problem,hence the delayed start. if the rain had been like suzuka, this would have been over
Your chatting rubbish now. I didn't say it would have to be raining.

You said the race was borderline unraceable which basically means the conditions were really bad, the track was so wet. You are saying due to the draingage. I agree that it was bad but I am saying the TRACK CONDITIONS couldn't of been that bad if they were on inters, and if you remember at the end of the race people were trying to find water to cool the tyres. If it was soo wet and unraceable they wouldn't of used slicks. I never said anything about the delayed start or that fact that is was raining when it was racing or what not!
SO what is your answer to this question: IF IT WAS SO UNRACEABLE WHY DID THEY GO ON THE INTERS!

Your chatting rubbish now. I didn't say it would have to be raining.

You said the race was borderline unraceable which basically means the conditions were really bad, the track was so wet. You are saying due to the draingage. I agree that it was bad but I am saying the TRACK CONDITIONS couldn't of been that bad if they were on inters, and if you remember at the end of the race people were trying to find water to cool the tyres. If it was soo wet and unraceable they wouldn't of used slicks. I never said anything about the delayed start or that fact that is was raining when it was racing or what not!
SO what is your answer to this question: IF IT WAS SO UNRACEABLE WHY DID THEY GO ON THE INTERS!
it was in parts, i dont understand why that is so hard to understand. the fact thats the drivers were saying the same thing shows im not the only one who thinks so.

alonso on the conditions: "the worst I have ever driven in"

do you understand standing rain, parts of the track were dry enough for inters, but there were sections of standing rain. s it becomes a gamble between the pace of inters and the grip of wets

and not everyone was on inters. bored of this now, you have your opinion, I have mine

Last edited:
Yes that was when it was red flagged, when the race 'started' then the conditions were better than say euro gp 2007

Was a good race i thought, the track was good and wasnt in a bad shape considering a month ago they were saying it might not go ahead. When its 100% complete it will be an impressive place. Only problem was the laying of the track surface, it was only done a few weeks ago so still had the oils and alot of the bitchumen hadnt been worn away. The drainage issues will improve a little bit once the bitchumen has worn down but in alot of the places it will still be bad because the surface is flat so the water will just lay there in a puddle. The track was unraceable at the start and for 5-7 laps after the red flag, after that it was fine.

None of the accidents today were caused by the track or the surface so you cant say it was unsafe or anything. 2007 European GP was nothing like this GP.

Agree with the comments made about Red Bull they would have had both championships wrapped up by now had they not have had unreliability issues, Not being able to convert poles into wins and crashing into other cars. To be fair i cant think of any 1 apart from Webber who deserves to be champion. Alonso and Ferrari definetly dont because of the team orders in Germany and if he wins the title by less than 7 points there will be many fans who will be outraged by it.

Other point i want to make is i think Bernie needs to suck it up and move the start times of the Far East GPS to earlier times because they have been moved to 3pm local time for tv coverage but if they were to start at the standard 1pm local time then they would have another 2 hours to get the race in should this sort of situation happen again.

Petrov will probaly lose his drive due to crashes in China, Spain, Monaco, Spa, Japan, Korea
---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Yes that was when it was red flagged, when the race 'started' then the conditions were better than say euro gp 2007

What is your fascination with this race? It has nothing to do with this race.

Everyone bar Winkelhock who came in at the end of lap 1 for wet tyres started the race on slicks, there was a massive shower half way on lap 1 which soaked the track and left standing water everywhere. At the end of lap 1 everyone pitted for wets bar the cars that would have had to Queue behind team mates in the pits. Becuase they were on slicks and there was standing water at turn 1 they all went off. At this moment the SC came out and even those on Inters were going off the track. The SC then did 1 or 2 laps then the race was Red flagged because the cars couldnt keep up with SC without aquaplaning. After 20 mins or so under redflag the rain stopped and the sun came out. Everyone was on wet tyres and they restarted the race, 6-8 laps after that people were coming in for slicks because the track had dried.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67SQBKhjQNM"]YouTube - 2007 European Grand Prix start[/ame]

Last edited:
very exciting race, epitemised by Vettel and Webber's incidents

Sutil could have had a very bad accident overtaking Barichello, but I didn't really see any pitlane problems though

Overall, a very good race :)