mking1992

Reaction score
View attachment 412465 <- Download

For those of you who like to play 4-2-3-1 (2 DM, 3 AMC).
Enjoy!

Works with 14.3

View attachment 412442View attachment 412419View attachment 412418View attachment 412417View attachment 412416

This tactic prioritises keeping clean sheets and working as a whole team to win the ball back, passing through the thirds, all the way up the pitch. It won the Bundesliga title with HSV, beating Bayern Munich by 5 clear points in my first full season as manager there. It is a tactic I have adapted and tweaked from FM 10 all the way through to the current version. It regularly gives you the "overachievers" mention at the end of the season. It is partially a Jose Mourinho style tactic, with the Oscar (previously Mata) role the most important in the team.

Should work well with Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Steaua, Shakhtar, etc.

Individual instructions-those players, usually AMCR or AMCL, or DMCL who take ridiculous long shots, simply add "player in this position instructions" to shoot less often.
Set-pieces credit goes to Jassar (I believe) although you need to set your best jumpers and headers to attack near/far post [as mine are set to LB/DM, yours may be CB/CB].
Training- Team Cohesion/Def Set Pieces.
Opposition Instructions- Ask Assitant before match and at half time, substitutions.

Results, Etc:

Save 1 (14.2 upgraded to 14.3 in title winning season)

1st Season

Belenenses (Portuguese Premier League. Expectation: Relegation) Finished 11th.

View attachment 412464View attachment 412463View attachment 412462View attachment 412460

2nd Season
Left to Manage Hamburger SV [a handful of games into the second season] (Bundesliga 1. Expectation: Mid-table) Finished 10th.

View attachment 412459
Took over with the game against Stuttgart, HSV had taken 16 points from 16 games with a pre-season prediction of 4th. They were languishing amongst the cannon fodder and this tactic steered them to 10th, with 23 points from the remaining 18 games. Admittedly this doesn't look great, but the squad I inherited was mostly wingers and no hopers. Rafael Van Der Vaart, Heiko Westermann and Rene Adler just about held everything together.

3rd Season

HSV (Expectation: Respectable/Top Half) Finished 1st.

League Results: Title Winners, beating Bayern Munich by 5 points. Also German Cup Winners.
View attachment 412458View attachment 412457View attachment 412452
Performed badly in the Euro Cup as it was essentially my pre-season with an injured/not match fit squad.

Rene Adler; 19 clean sheets in 34 league games.
View attachment 412446View attachment 412447

Heiko Westermann; LB goals from through balls, aerial ability at corners.
View attachment 412456View attachment 412455

Rafael Van Der Vaart; Enganche, assist king, despite lacking athletic ability.
View attachment 412454View attachment 412453

John Guidetti; Advanced Forward; despite suffering a 14 hour goal drought (language barrier), finished with 15 goals in 26 games in the league.
View attachment 412451View attachment 412450

4th Season [pre-season]

HSV (Expectation: Champions League qual.)

View attachment 412449View attachment 412448

Save 2

Consecutive promotions with Stockport County, on a 14.2 system.

View attachment 412435View attachment 412434View attachment 412433
View attachment 412431View attachment 412428View attachment 412427

Currently testing with Manchester City, no transfers.

Last edited:
Testing with Manchester City 2013-14 (14.3 Squads, No Transfers)

All team talks and OI handled by Assistant Manager. No substitutions unless injury or a rating of 6.2 or lower.
Training: Team Cohesion (Average) and Def Set Pieces (although using Tactics Only to get tactics to fluid quicker may improve results)
NO private chat management.

--------------------------------------
The idea of this test is to see how a default squad reacts to the tactic with little/no interference from a Human Manager.
Testing with Manchester City 2013-14 (14.3 Squads, No Transfers)

-------------------------------------

Pre-Season:
View attachment 517851View attachment 517899
8 games, 6 wins, 2 draws 0 losses. 23 goals scored,1 goal conceded, 3 goals scored from corners, others from open play. I only made changes due to injury or international selection.

Player Performance:
GK Goalkeeper (Def):
View attachment 517854
RB Wingback (Att):
View attachment 517891View attachment 517862
CB Central Defender (Def):
View attachment 517865View attachment 517895View attachment 517871
LB Wingback (Att):
View attachment 517876View attachment 517888
DMCR
Defensive Midfielder(Def):
View attachment 517877
DMCL Defensive Midfielder(Sup):
View attachment 517880
AMCR Attacking Midfielder (Sup):
View attachment 517897View attachment 517892
AMC Enganche(Att):
View attachment 517883AMCL Attacking Midfielder (Sup):
View attachment 517884
STC Advanced Forward (Att):
View attachment 517886

Premier League to follow...

----------------------------

Premier League:

Man City 3-1 Norwich
View attachment 412019View attachment 412016
Scored with Nasri volley from indirect FK.
Negredo scores header from Zabaleta cross.
Zabaleta scores via through ball played into him by Aguero as he runs beyond the defence, angled shot across goal.
Conceded with Vincent Kompany own goal, misplaced pass leads to break on goal, cross deflects off Kompany. Lack of pace at CB (Demichelis) exploited.
Man City 0-2 Chelsea
View attachment 412018View attachment 412017
Conceded to long throw (David Luiz) move gives Terry headed goal and long-through ball break from Eto'o against Demichelis (lack of pace at CB exploited).
David Silva injured (65 min) replaced by Jesus Navas.

David Silva injury assessment: will recover before next match.

Arsenal 1-1 Man City

View attachment 411994View attachment 411993
Scores via Laurent Koscielny own goal due to Zabaleta cross (attempted to prevent cross from reaching david silva, slid into net).
Conceded
to late goal from substitute Tomas Rosicky following misplaced pass falling to Oxlade-Chamberlain who crosses for TR unmarked at far post (tap in).
Edin Dzeko replaces Negredo due to poor rating (6.2) [and poor motivation].

Everton 1-1 Man City
View attachment 411938View attachment 411937
Jagielka scores an own goal via a deflected Aguero shot.
Conceded
to late goal (91st min) from substitute Magaye Gueye following a missed interception/spill from Joe Hart (tap in goal).

Still waiting for tactics to become fluid...

View attachment 411936

(Champions League)
Man City 2-0 Bayer Leverkusen
View attachment 411918View attachment 411916
Fernandinho gets a low rating after having penalty saved.
Aguero scores from open play, assisted by David Silva pass.
Negredo scores from open play, assisted by Zabaleta cross.

Hull 2-2 Man City
View attachment 411887View attachment 411886
Conceded from penalty.
Nasri scores from open play, takes a shot, is saved and pounces on his own rebound.
Kompany scores from a corner.
Conceded with Elmohamady scoring via an indirect FK move.
Aguero is injured and Jesus Navas takes his place.

Aguero injury assessment: 5 weeks.

-------------------------------------------
Progress Report:

6 games in, 4 draws, 2 wins, 1 loss.

Defensive Cons: Demichelis lack of pace, Indirect free kicks, late goals (fitness and concentration).
Defensive Pros: Kompany and Zabaleta in particular adapting to tactic well.
Offensive Cons: Negredo motivation, Aguero injury.
Offensive Pros:Crosses connecting, CCC's and team showing early signs of passing rhythm.

Goalscorers: Nasri and Negredo with 2 apiece, Kompany, Aguero and Zabaleta on 1.
Creators: David Silva leads with 4 assists, followed by Fernandinho, Aguero and Zabaleta on 1 (although replays show 2/3 if you count the own goals).

Conclusion: Signs that fluidity with tactics will equal better results. Similar type players to those used at HSV have so far produced the best performances, with Manchester City's players being of a higher individual quality, I expect an upturn in results, but not a close-run title challenge.
With added Human Management, and a willingness to drop players outside of the restrictions in place, you could definitely beat the points average currently set by Newcastle and Manchester Utd (2.4 per match) to win the title in your first season.
-------------------------------------------

(Capital One Cup)
Oldham 0-2 Man City
View attachment 411835View attachment 411834
Negredo scores shot to far corner assisted by David Silva short pass/through ball.
Negredo scores shot to near corner assisted by Zabaleta near post low cross.
Injury to Fernandinho (90th min) replaced by Javi Garcia.

Fernandinho injury assessment: will recover before next match.

Man City 0-0 West Brom

Pre-match reactions indicate that the squad are not used to Assistant Manager's press conference responses yet.
(you know when you just get that feeling things are not going to go well)
View attachment 411830View attachment 411828View attachment 411827

(He was promoted from within as the original AM was Pellegrini's man, and incidentally was my right hand man at HSV)

View attachment 411821View attachment 411820View attachment 411817View attachment 411816View attachment 411815

Ben Foster in supreme form, player throwing toy out of prams over AM motivation, nervous performances. BUT a good reaction to the final team talk.

View attachment 411811View attachment 411810View attachment 411809

(Manchester United and Newcastle move up to 2.5 ppg, City languishing on 1.16)

View attachment 411795View attachment 411794
Suffering from a lack of luck more than anything else, perhaps the pressure on the players to deliver the title is too much? Negredo has 4 goals in 8 games, David Silva has 5 assists in 8, but the team do not seem to believe that the management team is taking them in the right direction.
Morale= middling...
View attachment 411791

(Champions League)
Shakhtar 1-1 Man City

Negredo scores from a wonderful team move that shows what the tactic aims to achieve.
(I am trying to insert a youtube video to show it below)
City then concede from a bullet header from substitute Luiz Adriano, following a cleared corner crossed back in. (Defensive Cons)
Yaya Toure is injured in the 81st minute with the game tied at 1-1...
View attachment 411783

The final result, a draw, the final team talk shows the squad may be coming around...

View attachment 411780View attachment 411777View attachment 411775

In the end, a fair result, although is is starting to appear that this tactic is not successful without Human intervention. Due to this, I will continue to complete 10 games (the pundits favourite measure of a season) and then complete 10 with Human management.

Yaya Toure injury assessment: will recover before next match.
David Silva fitness assessment: needs a rest.

Newcastle 1-0 Man City
View attachment 411752View attachment 411751Conceded a Joe Hart O.G. following a dive from Navas giving the ball away to the opposition who break, and a shot pinballs off JH the post and JH again before entering the net.

---------------------------------
5 draws, 3 wins, 2 losses. Restricted management fails.
---------------------------------

Now onto testing with Human Interaction.

Last edited:
Reserved II

To anyone thinking this is a win-all tactic, simply plug and play with no effort on your part, you would be extremely wrong.
I will be doing this test with Man City where I DO intervene with man management, and the results should be more like real gameplay.

I will endeavour to show you as much of the management as I can, in order to see where effects can be made on performances by human interaction.

Last edited:
Sorry for the mess in this thread, I am struggling to find a way to present it coherently :O