Wow.

I responded to 1 sentence in your OP.

I only have a problem with that phenomenon being in the game. And apparently it is in the game. You said it yourself in the op. I dont agree with that being in the game for reason I have given. I KNOW you can do things about it, I just dont agree with the principle of it because I think its unrealistic.

I even said: "PS. I am gonna try this because I agree the game = most fun when you create your own tactic. I just dont agree with some of the arguments used (by SI) and i never will."

And so far in FM, its true ive downloaded tactics, but I try to tweak them to stuff that I think works...and also I started a game with Dinamo Zagreb trying to make my own tactic in the same way you did.

In other words, my posts werent about your way of creating a tactic, they were about a game mechanic, and thus as Mike implied OFFTOPIC. Which is why I didnt respond anymore.

Now ontopic: as i said i started a game with Dinamo Zagreb and I will try making a tactic from scratch using this topic, Raikans topic and MRhoughs topic.

cant seem to get this to work for my swansea save. played 15 lost 13 draw2 won 0.

not knocking the tactic my players get good ratings and play good football but just cannot win games lol

How are you getting on? It seems to work wonders on FM13 but given that I've always thought of it in a negative light, it could have been the strategy to use in previous games.

Its going ok, counter was never very consistent in previous fm's but this time round much more affective. Ive gone back to 442 though which seems to be the most effective formation in this patch and short passing which i just like better than direct even for counter attacking.

Hey Kris!
I tried your tactic and it worked.. okay.
My first few games consisted of draws or something like a 1-0 victory against a really bad team where you're expected to knock several goals in the net against.

But I found out something that made my team start to dominate.
I changed from Counter to Overload and the tactic has worked wonders ever since, so a suggestion would be to try out playing with either Attacking or Overload to see if your team performs better, like mine did.

Other than that, nice work & keep it up!

This could be the tactic I've been wanting to create without knowing how to, explained very well it's exactly how I want my team to perform even though I am Crewe in league 1 as with you're team report screen my Crewe side are the best passers in the league and so on rather the same as you're Swansea going to give this a try now and fingers crossed I can get this side performing to their strengths! will update you on how I get on!

Okay so used this tactic like half a season (played a lot tonight waiting for the Amir Khan fight!!) I've had mixed results some games passing a team off the park all kinds of pretty football, others can't string two passes together and teams are walking through my defence. Maybe it's because I'm a lower league team perhaps not do you have any advice? here's SS of the results and my team comparison which made me choose this to begin with.

note the 6-4 win, I was 4-0 down at half time, kept same tactic and set to overload scored 6 in the second half was a great game!

Hi Kris,

Great post! Great idea also to use the team comparison feature.

However, I don't understand all of your playing style choices based on the team comparison.
I can see how your team being good in passing and decisions would make you choose a shorter passing style and more creative freedom.
But what made you choose 'press more', or 'more roaming'? Is this based on Teamwork and work rate?

Hi Kris,

Great post! Great idea also to use the team comparison feature.

However, I don't understand all of your playing style choices based on the team comparison.
I can see how your team being good in passing and decisions would make you choose a shorter passing style and more creative freedom.
But what made you choose 'press more', or 'more roaming'? Is this based on Teamwork and work rate?

Exactly! That and Stamina, I've always looked at that one too. Nothing worse than seeing a guy's fitness level at 60% after 70 minutes of a game.

Ok, thanks.

This is great stuff btw, I've adapted my playing style based on the team report and my mediocre team has been doing a lot better since.
This goes to show that FM2013 makes you think harder about tactics.
There is no way you can download an engine exploiting tactic made for Barcelona and expect to win the league with a mediocre team. You really have to adapt your formation, playing style and individual player instructions based on the material you're working with, now more than ever.

I don't touch the tempo slider either but here's something I noticed:
I use 2 shouts combinations based on possesion, one with 'retain possesion' and one with 'get ball forward' when I'm losing.
If the 'get ball forward' shout is active, the default tempo is a bit quicker.

Ignore if this was already known or obvious, but I for one did not know shouts have an influence on the default tempo.

Interested to know what set up you have regarding your match prep/training..After playing about 4 games my strikers are still yet to score..and have had pretty average ratings..Could this be down to poor match prep?

This is brilliant mate, very good read. I've literally just bought Football manager and as a first timer I am struggling to get up and running. I started with Spurs, made two transfers, bringing in Prajnic(I'm not sure if I spelt that right) and Gary Hooper(Not in time to come to the training camp). I've played 4 games so far, drawing against Leyton Orient and Le Herve, losing vs FC Tours and another French team whose name escapes me, I'm still finding my tactics and trying to get a foothold on my Managering career. Have you got any advice for me? Baring in mind I'm yet to find preferred tactics. Thank you mate!

Interested to know what set up you have regarding your match prep/training..After playing about 4 games my strikers are still yet to score..and have had pretty average ratings..Could this be down to poor match prep?

To be honest I’m not 100% on the match preparation and usually leave it to the staff to sort. I don’t want to harm anything by messing about with stuff I’m not familiar with. Maybe I’ll find a guide that explains it all then start using it.

I would think that if you’re struggling then it will most likely be the service being provided by the playmakers or the wing backs? When I played this formation with Swansea, Michu was great because he’d drop deeper and was great at holding up the ball or linking up play. He scored a fair amount of goals but got a great amount of assists for my inside forwards. They had the freedom to push forward because he was dropping deeper.

When I tested it with Barcelona however, Messi being Messi, still dropped deep but more often than nought, would beat 3-4 players before scoring or setting someone else up.

My point, if drawn out, is that each player playing that role will do it differently.

This is brilliant mate, very good read. I've literally just bought Football manager and as a first timer I am struggling to get up and running. I started with Spurs, made two transfers, bringing in Prajnic(I'm not sure if I spelt that right) and Gary Hooper(Not in time to come to the training camp). I've played 4 games so far, drawing against Leyton Orient and Le Herve, losing vs FC Tours and another French team whose name escapes me, I'm still finding my tactics and trying to get a foothold on my Managering career. Have you got any advice for me? Baring in mind I'm yet to find preferred tactics. Thank you mate!

Hope you are enjoying the game buddy. My advice would be to follow my early steps in this thread. Find out what your side’s strengths and weaknesses are and play to them. Don’t mess about with things you’re not sure of and just keep testing things. Don’t be disheartened.

hey i was just wondering when you deploy your shouts do you do it instantly as the match starts cheers

hey i was just wondering when you deploy your shouts do you do it instantly as the match starts cheers

I do buddy. It's annoying that they don't begin at kick off though.

Tbf mate, before I read your thread just now I was in the same boat as you in terms of the tactics side of things, guess I just got used to switching between other player created tactics in FM 12 and i got lazy. In FM 13 you really have got to use your head much much more which is what SI are aiming for, its a more rounded and complete Manager experience.

You've got me inspired to keep pushing on with my own stuff n keep workin at it, so thanks man :)

Tbf mate, before I read your thread just now I was in the same boat as you in terms of the tactics side of things, guess I just got used to switching between other player created tactics in FM 12 and i got lazy. In FM 13 you really have got to use your head much much more which is what SI are aiming for, its a more rounded and complete Manager experience.

You've got me inspired to keep pushing on with my own stuff n keep workin at it, so thanks man :)

I'm still using this tactic when I feel the players have the right work rate, passing, pressing etc. A good example is Grenada. I finished 4th in my first season using this same formation.

I'm enjoying the game much more this season because I've found these screens I normally wouldn't bother with.

Opposition instructions? Training pre season and during season? cheers.