Joby

Reaction score
View attachment 253914
Welcome
This is my first ever Football Manager story, so it might take me a while to perfect the lay-out, but hopefully I can make this story interesting to follow. I decided to start out in the Croatian League as it provides me with a decent challenge and a good springboard to move aboard after a few seasons if I want to. If anyone has any sugestions on how I could improve the story, I'd be glad to hear them. Anyways, if you're still reading, thanks, welcome, and let's get this thing started.

View attachment 253913

Last edited:
Prologue
View attachment 253912

Hajduk Split have caused a stir by naming U21's manager Kusan Jerbic as their new Head Coach. Jerbic, aged just 27, has been involved with the under-age structure at the club for several years, but his appointment has come out of the blue for fans, who were expecting a higher profile candidate to get the job. His elevation to head coach of the senior squad may be seen as cost saving measures by the club, with the board keen to avoid paying another club compensation due to their financial difficulties of late, which have caused them to start the new season with 3 points deducted. Despite this though,supporters have been quick to get behind their new man, who has become one of the youngest ever managers in a top-flight European league. Kusan was born in Dresden on March 29th 1987 to Croatian parents. His father was working as a builder there at the time, and Kusan remained in Germany until he was 3, where upon his family returned to Split, the Croatian capital.He developed an interest in football from an early age,and regularly attended Hajduk games in the newly formed Croatian League. A promising centre-back, he signed with his boyhood club's U19's as a 15 year old. However injury curtailed his career at the age of 19 before he had the chance to break into the first team. Damaged cruciate ligaments sustained in a reserves game against Dinamo Zagreb forced him to reitre. Upon retiring, he was offered the chance to become a youth team coach, which he accepted without hesitation. He soon became a popular figure within the club, as others noticed his determination to succeed and passion for the game. At the age of 23, he became the Manager of the U18's, where he was largely succesful, winning numeros underage trophies, including 2 Under 19 Cups.Just after his 25th birthday, he progressed to coach the U21's, again with success. Fans will certainly be hoping that his under-age success translates to glory for the senior team, who have gone 9 years without winning the title. Regardless of what happens, the eyes of Croatia will be upon Jerbic as he attempts to prove his managerial ability.

The Beginning
I officially took over on the 13th of July, with pre-season finished. Caretaker boss Orijo Osibov slotted back into his assistant manager role, and I was immediately tasked with preparing the team for our Europa League qualifier against Sioni, a little known Georgian club, in just 4 days time.
Surely, I thought, we should have no trouble against these minnows. I began assessing my squad, and saw some encouraging signs. Our goalkeeper, Lovre Kalinic, could easily be playing for a mid-table Premier League side based on his ability, and our Bosnian midfielder Tino Susic was already attracting interest from the likes of Nantes and Metalist. Our defensive midfield needed work though, with the gap currently being filled by some inexperienced academy graduate. I sent the scouts out, but knew that any signing would have to be free, given my lack of a transfer budget. We put in hard graft on the training ground, as I tried to accustom the players to my style, and I felt suitably ready to dispatch of Sioni. I did a quick interview with the national sports news network, where I promised the fans that our financial situation would not prevent me from challenging for titles, then boarded the plane to head east.
View attachment 252359
S**t. Not the start I had in mind. Despite dominating, and grabbing an early goal, Sioni counter-attacked superbly, and snatched a 2-1 victory. I was of course disappointed at losing my first game in charge, but still made us favourites to progress.
-
My next task was the opening league fixture against NK Zagreb, last year's second division winners. Preparation was helped by the arrival of Tomislav Dujmovic, an experiened holding midfielder who arrived on a free.
View attachment 252356
-
View attachment 252355
Once again, not exactly what I was hoping for. This was very similar to the Sioni match, in that I dominated for most of the game, but got caught on the break. If I am to become a success at this club, I must find a way to turn our domination into results, and fast, as the return leg against Sioni is only a few days away, and a bad result could rob the club of much needed revenue.
View attachment 252353

Good News & Bad
I was still confident a few days before the Sioni match, but the more I thought about it, the more pessimistic I became. I had lost my 2 opening matches and was now faced with a crucial Europa League qualifier. If I was to lose this, the financial situation would become even worse, and the fans would almost certainly start asking questions about whether or not I was ready for this job. But the time had come, and in just my 3rd match, it was make or break time.
View attachment 251809
Well I worried over nothing. A switch of formation from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2 worked wonders, which gave us the crucial win. The draw for the second qualifying round paired us with AIK from Sweden. A tougher outfit than Sioni, but I still expected victory.
-
The next league encounter, my first at home, was against NK Istra, a fairly average team.The Sioni result had filled me with new confidence, and I decided to stick with the 4-4-2.
View attachment 251808
Lovely stuff. Ignoring the red card, it was a really good performance. That 3 points was enough to put us on 0 points, yippee.
-
The first leg was away in Sweden, just 4 days after the Istra match. I felt that a draw would be a decent result given the long journey and strength of the opposition.
View attachment 251804
Not great, throwing away a lead like that could be costly, but at the same time, 2 away goals is always a positive. I still felt sure of advancing.
-

Next up in the league was an away trip to Osijek, a team tipped to to go down. Really the sort of game we need to win if we wish to challenge for the title.
View attachment 251801

The first half was absolutely pathetic, thank Christ for our 4th penalty in as many games, or we'd have been screwed. I'm beginning to feel like the managerial equivalent of Roberto Soldado. Anyways, I gave them the bollocking they needed at half time, and they responded magnificently in fairness to them. The lack of clean sheets so far is starting to worry me though.
-
My attentions are now focused on the AIK game in a few days time. Oh how I'd love a 1-0 win! In other news, a few of my players are attracting interest from abroad. Tino Susic is interesting Stoke and Bordeaux, Jean Kouassi is attracting PSG, and Josip Basic is giving Liverpool and Southampton wet dreams. I wouldn't mid losing Basic, he's only 18 and not really in the 1st team yet, plus the money would be appreciated. On the other hand, Kouassi and Susic are 2 of my best players, and I'd be sad to lose them. It's not all doom and gloom though, I managed to sign 3 players, all on free's of course, who should improve the squad:
1. Esteban Lopez.
View attachment 251799
Won't really be challenging for a 1st team spot, but has decent potential.
-
2. Kenny Gillet.
View attachment 251798
We really needed a left-back, and although he's not the best, he's still an upgrade.
-
3. Sinisa Linic.
View attachment 251797

Another decent holding midfielder with experience.

Looking good mate - I'm for any story that doesn't mind a few curse words! Just a personal formatting thing but I find it easier to follow if there is more of a gap or a line across the page between each game - again thats just me though. Going great though otherwise - being an Aussie I still remember Josip Skoko playing at Hadjuk so I will be following with interest!

Looking good mate - I'm for any story that doesn't mind a few curse words! Just a personal formatting thing but I find it easier to follow if there is more of a gap or a line across the page between each game - again thats just me though. Going great though otherwise - being an Aussie I still remember Josip Skoko playing at Hadjuk so I will be following with interest!
Thanks a million man :)

The Lord Giveth & The Board Taketh
I knew it was going to happen sooner or later given the situation, but it was still a kick to the teeth. Within the space of 3 days, I lost both Basic to Southampton, and more worringly, Susic to Stoke. I got decent fees for them both, €1.5m for Basic, plus future add-ons, and €4.4 for Susic, potentially rising to €7m. This went some way to clearing the club's debt, although there is still more. Anyways, that's the board's problem. My problem is replacing Susic with a player who, thanks to the board's policy regarding retained transfer earnings, will have to cost 10% or less of what I sold Tino for. Time for the scouts to search the bargain bin again.

View attachment 251457

And even that wasn't my main worry of the next few days. That honour went to the return leg against AIK. As I said before, I would absolutely love a 1-0 win.

View attachment 251456

Kouassi's first half-goal was followed by 50 minutes of clenching my ***-cheeks and praying that my defence finally would finally claim a clean-sheet. Thankfully though, they did just that, and we partied hard.

[video=youtube;AzURH-yOtKs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzURH-yOtKs[/video]

The draw for the last qualifying round before the groups has pitted us against FC Zurich of Switzerland. A tough tie indeed, and I would have to say we're underdogs.
----------

Before that though, we have 3 important league games.

View attachment 251453

The Dinamo game will be my toughest to date. Hopefully I can avenge them for ruining my playing career all them years ago.